Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 24 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Headed to AZ + buying a new lens = super excited!

MomTo2
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by MomTo2. (2 edits in all)

Jan 24, 2015 11:32 |  #1

We will be exploring a huge area of Arizona next month, and I can't wait to shoot it! We'll be starting in Tucson/ Sonoran Desert and working our way North to Native American ruins and the Grand Canyon.

For those of you that have already had this opportunity, what lens was invaluable to you? I am looking at getting a new 70-300 (I already have one that is a piece of junk) but I'm wondering if I should go with an 28-300 instead, so I don't have to switch lenses and take them all on my back. Any input regarding which lens I should buy next is appreciated. My budget is less than 1,000.00

Also looking for input on sites to see. We are going to visit the Sonoran Desert, Sabino Canyon, Casa Grande, Montezuma, Tuzigoot, Sedona, Meteor Crator, Painted Desert, Sunset Crater, Wupatki, and Grand Canyon. We have two little ones (5 and 8) who can't do a lot of steep hiking- so easy, short trips are a must.

www.jillchildsphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 25, 2015 05:00 |  #2

Which camera are you using? (Crop or FF) And what do you already have? I would think wide would be your first choice. The longer zoom would be handy if great birds or something come into view. We just returned from California and I found the 24-105 to be just right (on a FF camera) for sweeping mountain views, as well as desert trips.

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 25, 2015 05:48 |  #3

If you looking for a 70-300.... there are many, many 70-300Ls for sale at the moment for amazing prices. I paid $1400 for mine a couple years ago and I'm seeing them right at or just below $1000.00 at the moment. The reason is pretty simple. The new 100-400 ii is out and people are trying to offset the price by selling current gear.

I love my 70-300L too much to sell it at this point. It's a great lens and the current used pricing makes it an incredible bargain.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

MomTo2
THREAD ­ STARTER
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 25, 2015 07:34 as a reply to  @ michgirl's post |  #4

I have a crop, 50mm, 70-300 (needs to be replaced) and the kit lens 24-135.

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by andrikos.

Feb 12, 2015 03:18 |  #5

Your destinations are great, you'll have a great time.

Also add Saguaro National Park and the windy vista point on Mt. Lemmon during sunset will give you breathtaking views and jaw dropping colors. Well worth the short trip from Tucson. If you're going to Grand Canyon, staying over at Flagstaff (close to Sedona) is also a no brainer. Also, Tombstone will be fun for the kids.

As far as lenses are concerned, don't worry about "convenience" and add an UWA lens to your lineup. A 10-18mm would be fantastic.
Also, AZ has amazing crystal clear skies at night, if that's something you're into. The kids would have a blast checking out the sky at night. It's like a painting.

Also, don't miss the amazing sonoran style mexican food there! Rule of thumb: the cheaper it is, the better... ;)

Have fun.

Sources: I lived in AZ 17 years.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

MomTo2
THREAD ­ STARTER
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 12, 2015 08:01 as a reply to  @ andrikos's post |  #6

Thanks andrikos! I ended up buying my first L (17-40)! Can't wait to use it. Thanks for the tips Re: Mt Lemmon, Tombstone, stars, etc! We are so excited! Will post pics when we return!

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 12, 2015 14:27 |  #7

That is a great lens for your trip. Lots to see and do and photograph! There is a thread of AZ folks if you want even more information. I am unlucky that I have not visited a lot of the places around but the people in the thread are well versed in that and could possibly help you. When is your trip?

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

MomTo2
THREAD ­ STARTER
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 23, 2015 20:17 as a reply to  @ disneydork06's post |  #8

Just got back disneydork06. LOVED it!

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 09, 2015 16:20 as a reply to  @ MomTo2's post |  #9

Awesome! Did the lens work well for you and you saw some cool things about arizona?

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

MomTo2
THREAD ­ STARTER
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 22, 2015 11:36 as a reply to  @ disneydork06's post |  #10

Yes, here's a link to my facebook page... just posted a bunch of my fav's. www.facebook.com/jillc​hildsphotography (external link)

crbinson
604 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 24, 2015 19:53 as a reply to  @ MomTo2's post |  #11

My wife and I are planning a trip to AZ in May. Looking to layup in Flagstaff overnight before a day trip to Grand Canyon, then on to a few days in the Phoenix area followed by a couple days TBD.

Looking for scenic hikes, photo ops, and regional must do's. Any tips from your recent trip would be greatly appreciated.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

sponsored links

3,050 views & 1 like for this thread
Headed to AZ + buying a new lens = super excited!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.