Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 06 Feb 2015 (Friday) 14:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto Disallowing Used Gear to be Sold on Ebay

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 12, 2015 13:43 |  #61

Sometimes I think people (and corporate employees) confuse Copyright with Trademark usage, and even with Trademark usage violation complaints the complainers are often wrong. But as with many things, sometimes it isn't worth the effort to prove or argue right from wrong.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

sponsored links
dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 12, 2015 16:07 |  #62

Alveric wrote in post #17428806 (external link)
It's precisely this that is unsettling. Copyright is being taken to ridiculous extents (sometimes even we, photographers, do that as well). I certainly understand a company taking issue if someone gets photos from their products off their website and uses them on an eBay listing –although even then, I admit that the company is being quite anal: after all, if Justin Focus is using your photos to sell something he owns, it means you already profited from selling said item to him in the first place; guess the company's beef is that they're not selling NEW stuff: makes me think that if they had it their way they'd press legislation banning all reselling of used items and have everyone buy new all the time and then throw away or keep/use it forever –quite a draconian way to ensure that they remain in business.

But I digress.

What is unsettling is that copyright infringement can be escalated to 'every single item is a design protected by copyright laws, ergo any photo taken of it is illegal'. Heck, if that happens most of my work and portfolio is gonna be illegal.

Just wondering if this is why so many TV series will tape over or fuzz out the symbols on the cars used in the shows.

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 12, 2015 16:38 |  #63

dadgummit wrote in post #17429105 (external link)
Just wondering if this is why so many TV series will tape over or fuzz out the symbols on the cars used in the shows.

They do that so as not to give free advertising to the company.

It costs big bucks for 'product placement' in a film or tv show and they will not give it away.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 12, 2015 16:45 |  #64

Ron Bailey wrote in post #17429146 (external link)
They do that so as not to give free advertising to the company.

It costs big bucks for 'product placement' in a film or tv show and they will not give it away.

+1 -- this is the correct statement about 'blurring' ... companies pay big bucks (sometimes) to have a brand in a bar scene, or a scene shot in a specific restaurant chain.

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 12, 2015 16:48 |  #65

And; they can be sued for showing a Lexus, if Lexus doesn't want to be freely associated with the show. 2 areas of concern...

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 12, 2015 17:00 |  #66
bannedPermanent ban

dadgummit wrote in post #17429105 (external link)

Maybe. I know that stock agencies reject photos with corporate logos on them. Hard to take some cityscapes without those nowadays, so you see the problematic.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

King ­ of ­ Canada
284 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 12, 2015 18:39 |  #67

Apparently some corps (most?) will want money from the show for showing their logo, not the other way around. Makes no sense (free adverts), but I guess at the same time they guard their brand closely.

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by CAPhotog.

Feb 12, 2015 19:34 |  #68

Just want to add Manfrotto management and distribution are poor even though I own a lot of their products including tripods, stands and bags. Seems it is the US Distributor and not the Italian manufacturer. In one case, I bought a bag from Costco that was a smaller version than advertised. The label, tags and even the box were wrong, so not Costco's fault but Manfrotto's error. I contacted the US Distributor several times, even sending proof of purchase and photos. They failed to do anything after initially responding. Costco on the other hand was sympathetic and discovered the entire stock was mislabeled. After two months, even Costco's own buyer couldn't get Manfrotto US to respond, so they just refunded my money.

This BS with EBay also is from the US Distributor. Such a poorly managed operation makes you wonder who is at the helm and how they got there.

sgt217
118 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 14, 2015 09:08 |  #69

I have a very good condition Manfrotto tripod for sale. Of course since this a Manfrotto and I am not a recognized dealer the black market price is ultra inflated....

Kylemorgan88
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 14, 2015 17:25 |  #70

Update:

Still no contact from Manfrotto. My guess is they realized their mistake and are just letting a sleeping dog lie.

Here is a link to the auction in case anyone wants to examine the photos: http://www.ebay.com …_trksid=p3984.m​1555.l2649 (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 15, 2015 22:04 as a reply to  @ Ron Bailey's post |  #71

From what I understand, showing a logo is incidental... such as an otherwise person wearing a shirt with it... it's ok, but still many tv people would rather not take the chance of even having to defend it.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

sponsored links

17,998 views & 11 likes for this thread
Manfrotto Disallowing Used Gear to be Sold on Ebay
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.