Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 24 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 03:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rainier Engagement

swmeans
54 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 08, 2015 16:16 |  #16

JGR wrote in post #17371906 (external link)
Off trail? Who cares! An off trail composition is often a better choice than on trail.

Bluntly, we all should care. It is this attitude that ends up giving all photographers a bad name and getting photography banned in certain places. Ignorance can be excused once, however a blatant disregard for the rules is not. This is no different that photographing on active rail lines.

S Means
Means Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
texasred
477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 08, 2015 18:00 |  #17

Having spent a lot of time at Rainier, I know there are signs everywhere, stay on trail, don't feed the animals, that are ignored. As swmeans said, it gives us all a bad name, especially photographers.

http://billrussell.zen​folio.com/ (external link)

Hannah'sDad
181 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 11, 2015 18:56 |  #18

texasred wrote in post #17372113 (external link)
Being off trail in our national parks is prohibited by law.....

This is patently incorrect information. This is no National Park Regulation, applicable to ALL National Parks that prohibits being "off-trail". If that were the case, many fishermen would not be able to fish in Yellowstone (no trails to the rivers). Mountain climbers would not be permitted to climb, as in the current group attempting to scale the face of half dome, even with a permit. Permits do not suspend the law. They merely keep track of who is where and how many are in the back country. This is a myth that continues to be propagated by those who do not know the rules, to those who have never been to a national park before. While it is true that Ranier specifically prohibits being "off-trail" in certain areas due to the tundra, this is also true of Rocky Mountain National Park, at certain locations and at certain elevations. Before anyone ventures "off trail", one should consult with the proper authorities to determine where that is and is not permitted. Finally, if being off trail was prohibited it would be clearly spelled our in the back country regulations. This website http://www.nps.gov …ackcountrytripp​lanner.htm (external link) is for the backcountry regulations of Yellowstone. No where do I find a restriction for being off trail. One would have thought if it was a National Park Law across all parks, it would be front and center.

And now to address Mount Ranier NP directly, while it is true that Mount Ranier has different regulations for different regions of the park, this is quote is from the National Park Service website for Mount Ranier NP, where it specifically PERMITS hiking and camping off trail.

Crosscountry Zone Camping: Crosscountry travel and camping is demanding, challenging, and rewarding. These beautiful, pristine areas can be rough and difficult to navigate (especially in poor weather). There are no maintained trails, campsites, or amenities, and water sources can be scarce in late season. Choosing to camp in a crosscountry zone requires a higher level of physical conditioning, knowledge and experience with Leave No Trace camping practices, and sound navigational skills. Crosscountry zone camping also offers an unparalleled opportunity for solitude and can be among the most rewarding experiences hiking has to offer. All crosscountry camping sites must be at least 1/4 mile away from any road or established trail. However, suitable terrain for camping is almost always much farther and may take an additional several hours to locate. Camps must also be at least 100 feet from lakes, streams, and other wetlands. Party size may not exceed 5 people in summer. Choose crosscountry camping only if you are adept with map and compass and are in excellent physical condition for enduring the additional challenge of crosscountry travel. Hikers doing the complete Wonderland Trail are limited to camping in designated camps only—the use of cross-country zones is not permitted.

Don't you find it interesting that this regulations states that a campsite MUST be at lest 1/4 mile from any road or established trail? How do you do that if you are not allowed off trail? This specific reference can be found at http://www.nps.gov …lines-and-regulations.htm (external link)

As photographers, we have a duty to understand and follow all applicable regulations within the parks that we visit and/or shoot. However, disseminating incorrect information to fellow photographers, does not help anyone in understanding or following the various guidelines that are unique to each park. Before you make such a patently incorrect statement, my suggestion would be that you (1) determine specifically where in the park the photograph(s) were taken so that you can assist the photographer in following the regulations of the park and (2) help a fellow photographer,without criticizing what you yourself do not understand, follow the rules and regulations for where they are shooting.

May you and everyone who supports our National Parks understand the regulations, abide by them, and thoroughly enjoy "America's Best Idea"http://www.nps.gov/ame​ricasbestidea/ (external link).

Scott
Canon 5D Mark IV Gripped x 2, Canon "L" EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, Canon "L" EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon "L" 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, Canon "L" 200mm-400mm f/4 EXT, Canon "L" EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 1.4X III Extender (x2), EF 2X III, plus various other tripods, filters and bags

texasred
477 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 6 years ago by texasred.

Jan 11, 2015 19:28 |  #19

To the best of my knowledge, we aren't talking about camping or hiking. We are talking about being in sensitive meadows that have definite, established trails around them, with signs that say " stay on the trail". I have read the compendium for the park I visit frequently, and I have a good idea where these photos were taken and they weren't in the backcountry.

http://billrussell.zen​folio.com/ (external link)

Hannah'sDad
181 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by Hannah'sDad.

Jan 11, 2015 22:12 as a reply to  @ texasred's post |  #20

Unless you have very specific information that you KNOW to be the location of where these photographs were taken, you are speculating. But your first post didn't say, "oh, by the way, Mount Ranier NP has regulations prohibiting being off of the trail in certain locations of the park." What you said was, and I quote, "Being off trail in our national parks is prohibited by law, as is commercial photography without a permit. Because it makes a better photo doesn't make it right." This is factually incorrect. If you have information that you would like to provide to the OP so that he can be more informed when he is in MRNP, then that is helpful. But to cite a law/regulation that does not exist in no way helps photographers or anyone else for that matter. Trying to re-write history in your posts only makes your post look more self-righteous than helpful. So, perhaps you should limit your "expertise" of the park to those areas where you can point to on a map and say, these areas are posted "stay on the trail". Otherwise, it might be best to limit your helpfulness to posts that have factual based content and can actually help others.

Scott
Canon 5D Mark IV Gripped x 2, Canon "L" EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, Canon "L" EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon "L" 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, Canon "L" 200mm-400mm f/4 EXT, Canon "L" EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 1.4X III Extender (x2), EF 2X III, plus various other tripods, filters and bags

joshuaraineyphotography
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 28, 2015 09:29 |  #21

I like the last image a lot, but I'm curious as to why their legs are blurry? Is this a dof issue with the lens or did you do that in post? And if so, why? I think it takes away from an incredible image. And, B&W here is great! I'm sure you gave the couple a color version as well.

Joshua Rainey Photography
Oregon Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oahu Wedding Photographer (external link)
Bay Area Wedding Photographer (external link)

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 28, 2015 12:26 |  #22

I wish they were not all centered in the pics; nice shots though. I am sure that was fun taking these images while making sure no bears are behind you ;-)a

mihazero
195 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 01, 2015 14:23 as a reply to  @ Buckeye1's post |  #23

I love all pics, but on 2nd one i wish there was a bit more ... detail in shadows closest to lit skin. Sort of ... light fall of. This way its bit ... abrupt.

Holster
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 13, 2015 13:10 |  #24

I dig the feel of these you did a good job.

The only thing I haven't seen addressed yet in this thread is the colors in #3. I'm at work so if it's just my monitor please excuse this comment but it seems to have a distracting white balance. The skin tones don't look as pleasing and the greens seem a bit strong. Anyone else notice this?

WEBSITE (external link)
Flick (external link)r

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 13, 2015 13:16 as a reply to  @ Holster's post |  #25

No green here.... Looks fine...

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by elrey2375.

Feb 13, 2015 23:43 |  #26

Definitely a little green on my monitor as well. And the one in the shadows, it looks like he has a huge bruise on his forehead. Might be better in black and white. They're also dead center in every composition. Maybe a little variety. Just a thought.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

AriLandworth
33 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 16, 2015 16:29 |  #27

I really like the location!

I am a Skagit Valley Photographer (external link) currently working on Headshots (external link), Newborn Photography (external link), and Senior Pictures (external link)!

shahjee
121 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 17, 2015 01:08 |  #28

Like shadows on #2, good job.

Canon 1D Mark III, Canon EOS RP, Panasonic G9
Canon 100 mm 2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 F4, Canon EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f1.8 II , Canon EF 24-105 F4.0 L IS USM
Speedlite 580II Speedlite
Manfrotto 190 XB Tripod

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 17, 2015 09:17 |  #29

I saw the title and thought it was actually RAINing...lol

LOVE these! Especially the use of shadows in the 2nd one!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

melodee127
88 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 18, 2015 11:37 |  #30

Love the positioning and framing. For #2, the shadows are an interesting idea but not my cup of tea because to me the shadows on her face make her look older. I don't know the couple, but I feel like #3 encapsulates the personality I would think this couple has - fun and free :)

<>< Melody Ybona Gawliu <><
I don't have a site for my photos yet, but hopefully soon...
Canon 5d mk2 recently upgraded from Canon XTI !

sponsored links

8,522 views & 4 likes for this thread
Rainier Engagement
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.