Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jan 2015 (Friday) 02:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 35mm 1.4, Did I miss something?

flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 13, 2015 13:48 |  #16

+1 buy used. You won't lose any money if any.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links
karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 13, 2015 14:31 |  #17

So not to sure if buying used is a good thing in regards to Sigma 35mm....just my opinion. You could be buying someone else's bad copy....I will say this about Sigma lens vs Canon...it does seem they have more misses then hits. On my 35mm I had to have it replaced twice before I got a really sharp copy and now it is my favorite lens. My 24-70mm was awesome from day one however a friend of mine had hers replaced 3 times before she got one that equals what my copy does.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

Sparrow19
298 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 13, 2015 14:35 |  #18

Yeah, I don't know why, but I don't really care to buy it used. I'm sure that's dumb, but for things like this, I like to know I've had it from the start. I've bought other things used and had no problems though.

http://www.wesatkinson​photography.com (external link)
Canon 5D IV, 6D
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 2.8 VC
Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

l89kip
584 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by l89kip.

Feb 13, 2015 14:54 |  #19

Buying used or not is personal choice. It also depends on the manufacturer and the specific model number. For example, there are relatively higher number of reports of copy variations of Canon 24 L II. I would not buy a used of that model.

I have two used L lenses, both are sharp and perform as expected.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

draculr
133 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 16, 2015 01:29 |  #20

I started with the Sigma and went to the Canon to see what all the fuss was about. The severe CA wide open (which really makes it borderline unusable until f2.0) made me go back to the Sigma.

It's also very easy in my opinion to get the 3D look with the Sigma, moreso than with the 35L and funnily enough the bokeh is nicer on the Sigma (again, imo) even though neither is all that great at dealing with foliage. Don't think any 35mm lens is good at that anyway.

AF is the same to me.

The only things I could give the Canon is that is has the traditional warmer Canon look and the Sigma is a more Zeiss-like cold feel. Otherwise it's Sigma all the way until the Mark II hits by which time I'll re-evaluate since this is my most used lens.

Photography by Peter Georges (external link) - Sydney Wedding and Portrait Photography

Thorsten
184 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 16, 2015 01:46 |  #21

I had the Sigma 35A for a while, during my Nikon time. It's technically a superb lens but the images never really convinced me. After I moved to Canon, I picked up the 35L and I'm very happy with it. It's hard to describe but the rendering is just more pleasant to my eyes.

Thorsten (external link)
Canon 5D3, 24 IS, 35L, 50/1.8 STM, 85/1.2Lii, 100L, 135L, 200/2.8L, 400/5.6L, 16-35/4L, 24-70/4L, 70-200/4L IS

sponsored links

5,214 views & 5 likes for this thread
Sigma 35mm 1.4, Did I miss something?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.