Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 13 Feb 2015 (Friday) 11:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon to Canon

Fujifilmnut
71 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 13, 2015 11:26 |  #1

This has been a long time coming - too long. My post here tells the long story: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=14697158

The best thing about the move is Photography-On-The.Net. This is an incredible resource of information.

The new 7D MKII is an amazing tool. It will be a fairly long learning curve for me, not only because of the change in brands but also because of the immense depth of features on the Canon. I am also enjoying the information flow from Canon after I registered the product. Quite a difference!

Jim
JamesDane.Com

sponsored links
Fujifilmnut
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 13, 2015 14:48 as a reply to  @ post 17430379 |  #2

Full frame is nice for interiors but I am waiting until there is a replacement for the 6D or 5D Mark III, maybe by that time I will have a better grip on Canon UI.

Jim
JamesDane.Com

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 13, 2015 17:31 |  #3

The lens line up Canon offers is reason enough to shoot Canon.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

Hoplite84
67 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Feb 15, 2015 00:53 |  #4

I tried Nikon and didn't like the image quality, mostly didn't like the skin tones and cool colors. Canon has always had amazing image quality. I don't care what charts or specs like dxomark says to my eyes I like canon better. Canon lenses are also amazing.

Canon 6D. Canon T5i. Canon 24-105 f4L. Canon 70-200 f4L IS. Sigma 17-50 2.8. Tamron 28-75 2.8. Canon 18-55 STM.

Pkang414
58 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 15, 2015 01:12 |  #5

I also, made the switch from nikon to canon. Don't regret it one bit! Hope you enjoy your new gear!

Fujifilmnut
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 15, 2015 08:29 |  #6

Speaking of lenses, the 24mm and 40mm stm pancakes are a welcome pair of lenses that came with the switch! Now I am eyeing the 135mm and 70-200 f4.

Jim
JamesDane.Com

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 18, 2015 05:39 |  #7

Fujifilmnut wrote in post #17432606 (external link)
Speaking of lenses, the 24mm and 40mm stm pancakes are a welcome pair of lenses that came with the switch! Now I am eyeing the 135mm and 70-200 f4.

those will cost a little more than the 40mm

Fujifilmnut
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 18, 2015 06:15 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #8

After reading all of the reviews I could find on both lenses, I tried them at the dealer and compared the 70-200 to the f/2.8 version and the 70-300. All are great lenses. The f/4 is light and easy to handle and is my choice of the longer lenses. For bokeh, the 135 is incredible, much like a f/1.2 Canon lens.

Jim
JamesDane.Com

professir
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 19, 2015 17:15 |  #9

After shooting Nikon since 1977, even owning a camera shop for years as a Nikon dealer, I just placed an order for a new Canon. The straw that broke the back? The AF-S system. I purchased a camera that requires the AF-S lens system in 2006. I figured Nikon would just build lens that would do both, and I would be set. NO luck there! Also, I have tried for years to get this camera to "behave" whenever there is any bright red in the frame, all to no avail. I did the research and decided to toss caution to the wind and ordered a Canon SL1 with the 2 kit lens. While I am excited about the rig, I DID have to endure MyLady's smile as I told her I ordered it. (She has shot Canon film and digital since 1995) In true benevolent kindness, as is her signature, she did offer to share lens with me since she has been gathering glass for 20 years, and of course it ALL fits! LOL.

I look forward to finding my way around here, and getting back into photography big time. Health has put a halt to several hobbies that were stealing photo time, so 2015 should be a very good year!

Blessings!
prof

Life is seen in light, felt in love, and valued in service.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 21, 2015 05:30 |  #10

professir wrote in post #17439720 (external link)
After shooting Nikon since 1977, even owning a camera shop for years as a Nikon dealer, I just placed an order for a new Canon.
Blessings!
prof

which model?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,416 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Feb 21, 2015 10:58 |  #11

watt100 wrote in post #17442055 (external link)
which model?

>>>

professir wrote in post #17439720 (external link)
After shooting Nikon since 1977, even owning a camera shop for years as a Nikon dealer, I just placed an order for a new Canon. The straw that broke the back? The AF-S system. I purchased a camera that requires the AF-S lens system in 2006. I figured Nikon would just build lens that would do both, and I would be set. NO luck there! Also, I have tried for years to get this camera to "behave" whenever there is any bright red in the frame, all to no avail. I did the research and decided to toss caution to the wind and ordered a Canon SL1 with the 2 kit lens. While I am excited about the rig, I DID have to endure MyLady's smile as I told her I ordered it. (She has shot Canon film and digital since 1995) In true benevolent kindness, as is her signature, she did offer to share lens with me since she has been gathering glass for 20 years, and of course it ALL fits! LOL.

nice little camera, and the two kit lenses are probably the the best entry level lenses available. enjoy it.

just remember that the EF-S lenses will not fit full frame cameras.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Fujifilmnut
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 24, 2015 11:55 as a reply to  @ professir's post |  #12

Welcome to the forum and the SL1. The SL1 is a great camera that produces excellent images. The focus is fast and accurate. It will serve you well. We use it side by side with the great 7D Mark II and are having a great time with both. If you have not tried it, look at the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM pancake lens for the SL1. With that lens, it is so small and light, it rivals the size and weight of point and shoot zoom cameras. It fits in my jacket pocket with that lens. At $150, it will not break your bank account either.

Jim
JamesDane.Com

Fujifilmnut
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 26, 2015 12:29 |  #13

Update after a few hundred images: Noise levels are well controlled in the 7D2. About the same as the Nikon D700 @ ISO 6400 w/o resizing. When resized, the 7D2 seems better at that ISO.

Jim
JamesDane.Com

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 27, 2015 05:41 |  #14

Fujifilmnut wrote in post #17451014 (external link)
Update after a few hundred images: Noise levels are well controlled in the 7D2. About the same as the Nikon D700 @ ISO 6400 w/o resizing. When resized, the 7D2 seems better at that ISO.

that's good

sponsored links

3,067 views & 1 like for this thread
Nikon to Canon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.