Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 11 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Feedback on my Website

Sparrow19
298 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 11, 2015 16:20 |  #1

Hi, I was looking to get some feedback on my website. I just recently changed up my galleries and wanted to see what you thought. Also the overall flow and organization. I know everyone's tastes may be a little different, so I'm trying to get an overall feel.

Layout, anything I should look to maybe change up, grammatical errors, something I should add (I'm adding a blog soon), etc.

http://www.wesatkinson​photography.com/ (external link)

I appreciate it, Thanks..! -Wes

http://www.wesatkinson​photography.com (external link)
Canon 5D IV, 6D
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 2.8 VC
Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

sponsored links
Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,297 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 11, 2015 16:56 |  #2

Wes - Took a quick look. I think the site is good content-wise but I'm not really liking the homepage design. It has a lot of photos that can be viewed as a slideshow when clicked but as a group they are kind of disconnected without any narrative. Initially I was under the impression that each photo represented a different portfolio and clicking on it would bring me to the portfolio. Just my opinion but I think it would make more sense that way vs a random slideshow.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

Sparrow19
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 11, 2015 18:26 |  #3

The homepage was initially set up as a sort of way to see a few of my best photos. I've since changed my portfolio, so that each category shows that. Do you think it would be better to have those photos on the homepage link to the gallery/category they are in? Or should I change up the homepage all together with something else?

Canon 5D IV, 6D

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,297 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 11, 2015 21:50 |  #4

Personally I think the cleanest possible homepage is the way to go. You can have all the content you want but it should be behind an efficient interface. I would have one pic representing each portfolio that goes to the portfolio when clicked. As it stands there are a lot of nice images on the homepage but they don't necessarily speak to every potential client and there is a good deal or redundancy. Another possible scenario is to have a limited full screen slideshow (maybe one image per portfolio) and the potential client can pick the portfolio from the menu or click direct from the image.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

rgs
Goldmember
2,392 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 11, 2015 22:12 |  #5

Nice & clean overall with lot of photos - that's good. The natural thing to think is that the images on front page lead to a gallery. I think that's what I would do.

One negative - I don't care for "investment". It seems a bit pompous to me, kind of like "pre-owned" instead of used. I think "fees" or "prices" are better choices. You are probably trying to imply the long term value of your work, which I can appreciate, but I think that is only a sales point with other photographers or collectors. Other potential clients are just after good imagery.

Being an OU fan, I'll just bite my tongue about your Texas Tech avatar :).

Good luck with the site. It's off to a good start.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Sparrow19
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 11, 2015 22:22 as a reply to  @ Trvlr323's post |  #6

Yeah, that makes sense as well. I do believe you are right about the homepage. Most of the photos there are the same that are in the gallerias. A slide show of a few may not be a bad option. Probably need to add some text in there as well.. humm..

Canon 5D IV, 6D

Sparrow19
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 11, 2015 22:27 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #7

Yeah, I've went back and forth on the investment/price thing. I can see the positive and negative connotation of each word. Humm, may have to reconsider that.

Uh oh, an OU fan, ha. I can appreciate OU fans, you have a great team although we have had your number for several years there, ha.

Thanks again for the input!

Canon 5D IV, 6D

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,297 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 11, 2015 22:49 |  #8

Wes. I just wanted to add that my comments are meant to be constructive and I tried to view the sire from the perspective of someone who happened upon if for the first time. Overall nothing negative to say. You've got some good content there.

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
8,520 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 11, 2015 23:16 |  #9

Only have one thing that raised a red flag with me in the pricing section. You stated you give back "all" the images in high resolution .jpg.

If you state "all" that means all. Even the best photographer has shots that need to be culled. By stating "all" on the website, you have a contract to supply all of the images. As a professional it is just not right to supply the customer with your photos of your shoes, those taken of the background to check the lighting, ones where the focus was on the wrong item, and other photos such as those. Just suggesting that you qualify that statement slightly to allow for an initial culling.

Philip

Sparrow19
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 12, 2015 09:20 |  #10

I see what you're saying about the "all " photos thing. I always delete the ones like you are describing, but I can see where someone might ask me about them and maybe why not all the photos are in numerical order and missing some.

How do you suggest I word it?

Canon 5D IV, 6D

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
8,520 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 12, 2015 10:43 as a reply to  @ Sparrow19's post |  #11

Probably just leave the "all" off. Then when someone asks explain it to them.

I have seen where others will list a minimum of shots they will deliver. That may be an option too. Many wedding photographers would never release all the rights to all the photos. What you are doing by even doing that at all is limiting your income by allowing them to get the photos printed wherever they wish. Not only that, but you then lose control of the quality of the end product.

Do you want potential clients to see your work printed on the free photo paper that comes with a simple $39.99 inkjet?

Philip

Richgsr
195 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 12, 2015 16:19 |  #12

I like it. It's nice and clean and makes the pictures stand out.

Rich | RJ23 Photography (external link) | Gear List

Dinolms
Hatchling
8 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 13, 2015 18:21 |  #13

I like this. It's simple and you can see lots of your photos, which is always good.

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 13, 2015 19:01 |  #14

Hi Wes...nice pictures...

The thing that stood out to me is the hint for the password for your clients being on the website for all to see. Not a good idea. I can just imagine one of my high school senior's friends getting to view her photo before she did or a bride's family gets to see them before she told you which ones to take down...all because they guessed the last name. Just a thought.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

Sparrow19
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 13, 2015 22:02 |  #15

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Also, I haven't thought of that on the password, that makes sense. I'll have to adjust that and just remove it entirely. I'll give them their password, so no need for a hint, if they do they can just ask me.

Canon 5D IV, 6D

sponsored links

4,723 views & 0 likes for this thread
Feedback on my Website
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.