Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced

Jamooche
513 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 14, 2015 00:20 |  #496

Shadowblade wrote in post #17430709 (external link)
Actually, nowadays, everyone apart from Canon is sitting at 13.8-15 stops of DR for their full-frame sensors. So it's Canon, not Sony, who are the odd one out.

And, yes, an extra 2-3 stops of usable DR makes a huge difference. Think of all the shots which can't be taken in a single exposure without a filter, but which can be managed with a 2- or 3-stop GND filter. That's a lot of landscapes. Now imagine a filter which can be applied anywhere in the scene, instead of being limited by horizons and unusabe where the line of transition isn't straight.

That's what you can do with 2-3 extra stops of DR. It doesn't make your photos any better, but it makes previously-impossible photos trivial.

This is a great point and the exact same thoughts I am having. However, I have yet to find a blog or website that shows this in a real world example. This would be an example of the D810 taking a photo with no filters and the 5DIII achieving the same results with a 2 stop GND filter in place. My assumption also is that this 2-3 stops is straight out of camera with no manipulation.

Does anyone know a good link / example to readily show this advantage?

http://www.jamilabbasy​.com (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 14, 2015 00:58 |  #497

So does this mean there will be no 5d4?

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2015 01:28 |  #498

Jamooche wrote in post #17431095 (external link)
This is a great point and the exact same thoughts I am having. However, I have yet to find a blog or website that shows this in a real world example. This would be an example of the D810 taking a photo with no filters and the 5DIII achieving the same results with a 2 stop GND filter in place. My assumption also is that this 2-3 stops is straight out of camera with no manipulation.

You'll never find an example like this.

The reason is that the default tonemapping curves on cameras are basically designed for everyday, low-contrast family photos and use only a very small part of the sensor's dynamic range. That is, using the default conversion, highlights clip to white in the final image much sooner than they actually do in the RAW file, while shadows clip to black where the RAW file actually contains many more stops of detail below this.

To use a sensor's full dynamic range, you need to use a custom conversion curve, and the post-processing of the file is somewhat different to normal because you're starting with a file whose midtones are, by necessity, compressed.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Submariner.

Feb 14, 2015 03:28 |  #499

I read a number of statements by Canon officials that the DR of the 5DS R will be about the same as the 5D3, and the pixel noise similar to the 7DII.

But I was sure I saw some reference, that said the DR had been shifted to the left, 1.5 to 2 stops left of the 1DX. So its fine when using a low ISO. But I Cant seem to find that statement again. Was I mistaken ( wishful thinking)?
Similarly I thought it said that with Low ISO, the noise had been improved at the pixel level over the 7DII. Thus meaning the Sensor had really been tuned for low ISO usage.
At the time I read it - I thought that makes sense, why they capped off the high ISO - and I could live with that.

If its true - would that not solve my problem of lifting shadows in Studio and location Portraits, i.e. be a pretty good camera for my main usage?
I appreciate, that wouldn't solve the problem for the Landscape guys, who really nead a wider range

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 14, 2015 04:53 |  #500

Found an interesting little review to support my 'buy an A7R to go with your canon kit rather than jump ship to nikon' train of thought...

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/A7R-review/ (external link)

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 14, 2015 05:58 |  #501

Shadowblade wrote in post #17428477 (external link)
Even if it were, this is a landscape lens, not really an architectural one (architecture practically demands perspective control). For a landscape lens, I don't worry about distortion and am more interested in absolute sharpness, lack of CA and control of coma (for night skies) and other aberrations.

Actually... perspective control is only really important for building external shots. For interiors, which tend to be far more human scale hence less issues of perspective control, a 11mm lens could be quite handy.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Mornnb.

Feb 14, 2015 06:01 |  #502

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #17429128 (external link)
Shot from the 5Ds - I've grabbed and compressed a bit for here & no CPS didn't give me one to play with.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Two Hot Shoes in
./showthread.php?p=174​29128&i=i101748849
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Two Hot Shoes in
./showthread.php?p=174​29128&i=i69542807
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Grab the full res here http://canon-premium.webcdn.stream.​ne.jp …s/eos5ds/downlo​ads/01.jpg (external link)

I would love to know what lens is being used in this shot, 50MP is going to be far more demanding on lens optics, and edge sharpness issues at wide apertures is going to be far more obvious. This is a most devious means for Canon to get people to upgrade their kit. ;)

Take a look at this sample picture from Canon, zoom into it at 100%. The amount of detail this camera captures is utterly amazing and ridiculous. This is medium format class.

http://canon-premium.webcdn.stream.​ne.jp …s/eos5ds/downlo​ads/01.jpg (external link)

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,851 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 14, 2015 06:24 |  #503

Somebloke wrote in post #17431111 (external link)
So does this mean there will be no 5d4?

i (and others) suspect that there will be a 28-36 MP FF camera out this summer.

I have not read this, but my feelings after seeing this introduction is that it might more likely be a 6D II that would combine the best of the two, plus a better sensor. The 5D badge would become the high resolution camera and the 6D would be the higher DR camera.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 14, 2015 06:25 |  #504

Jamooche wrote in post #17431095 (external link)

This is slightly different to what you were asking but it does show the difference of applying some post processing to shadow areas on the 5D3 vs the D800: http://www.fredmiranda​.com …dex_controlled-tests.html (external link)

He later mentions improving the results on the 5D3 by overexposing slightly. Obviously this risks clipping highlights, so in theory if you had an ND filter that covered the brightest areas of the image you might be able to overexpose and hold the highlights. But that's clearly not practical in that scene, and is why the DR advantage (i.e. the reduced noise in shadows) makes such a difference on a non-Canon sensor.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,308 posts
Gallery: 341 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 14, 2015 07:52 |  #505

Mornnb wrote in post #17431252 (external link)
I would love to know what lens is being used in this shot

The lens was an EF70-200mm F/2.8L IS II @170mm using f8 & ISO 100

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Get 5% off Fuji from Kim ;) (external link)
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by tvphotog. (2 edits in all)

Feb 14, 2015 10:42 |  #506

sploo wrote in post #17431266 (external link)
This is slightly different to what you were asking but it does show the difference of applying some post processing to shadow areas on the 5D3 vs the D800: http://www.fredmiranda​.com …dex_controlled-tests.html (external link)

He later mentions improving the results on the 5D3 by overexposing slightly. Obviously this risks clipping highlights, so in theory if you had an ND filter that covered the brightest areas of the image you might be able to overexpose and hold the highlights. But that's clearly not practical in that scene, and is why the DR advantage (i.e. the reduced noise in shadows) makes such a difference on a non-Canon sensor.

Thank you for posting that, I had seen that comparison when the 5D3 came out but forgot to save it, and couldn't remember where I had seen it. This is exactly why I was going to switch to Nikon when the D800 cam out. But then I thought better of it, as I think overall that the 5D3 is a better all around camera.

Also, since the 3 came out, I mainly shoot in Manual mode, for special circumstances in A Mode, and always expose 1 EV to the right, or more. It's much easier to retrieve detail from an overexposed image from the right of the histogram than the other way round. Even shooting in A mode, I set exposure so that neutral is always 1 EV or more to the right. That also means a reduction in shadow noise on pushing the exposure back to the center.

Now we're up to 34 pages and the S and SR won't be out for testing by reviews for another couple months, I would say. I better get that 10TB hard drive.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2015 12:53 |  #507

tvphotog wrote in post #17431506 (external link)
Thank you for posting that, I had seen that comparison when the 5D3 came out but forgot to save it, and couldn't remember where I had seen it. This is exactly why I was going to switch to Nikon when the D800 cam out. But then I thought better of it, as I think overall that the 5D3 is a better all around camera.

Also, since the 3 came out, I mainly shoot in Manual mode, for special circumstances in A Mode, and always expose 1 EV to the right, or more. It's much easier to retrieve detail from an overexposed image from the right of the histogram than the other way round. Even shooting in A mode, I set exposure so that neutral is always 1 EV or more to the right. That also means a reduction in shadow noise on pushing the exposure back to the center.

Now we're up to 34 pages and the S and SR won't be out for testing by reviews for another couple months, I would say. I better get that 10TB hard drive.

People like to quote ETTR religiously whenever shadow noise and dynamic range issues are mentioned, but, it only works if the scene doesn't exceed the DR of the RAW file (not the JPEG) in the first place.

You can only expose to the right as far as your highlights aren't blown out. But, when shooting high-DR scenes (like many landscapes) you're already as far to the right as you can go without blowing out parts of the sky, while other parts of the scene will still be in deep shadow. Essentially, you're exposing to the right and left at the same time, since the scene's DR exceeds, or is close to, the DR of the sensor/RAW file. The only solution is to capture more DR, either with a sensor with a greater DR, or via multiple-exposure techniques. And this is where Canon really falls flat at the moment.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by tvphotog.

Feb 14, 2015 13:08 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #508

I use ND gradient filters all the time in those situations to reduce the right side of the histogram, which greatly reduces the problem you're talking about. Works extremely well. More DR is always helpful.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2015 13:18 |  #509

tvphotog wrote in post #17431698 (external link)
I use ND gradient filters all the time in those situations to reduce the right side of the histogram, which greatly reduces the problem you're talking about. Works extremely well. More DR is always helpful.

Works extremely well... except when you have a tree, building, rock or other object projecting well past the horizon, or just a non-linear transition (e.g. mountains). Which is a common-enough occurrence in landscape photography.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by tvphotog. (3 edits in all)

Feb 14, 2015 13:33 |  #510

Shadowblade wrote in post #17431710 (external link)
Works extremely well... except when you have a tree, building, rock or other object projecting well past the horizon, or just a non-linear transition (e.g. mountains). Which is a common-enough occurrence in landscape photography.

Easy to correct in PP. Vast majority of bright is reduced with a filter. Best to do everything you can in the field.

Jay

sponsored links

309,524 views & 241 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.