Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Feb 2015 (Friday) 13:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

linux workflow, does somebody use it?

mantra
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 13, 2015 13:43 |  #1

Hi

i'm using windows 8.1 and 7 and osx yosemite and maverick

i tried ubuntu the last version 64bit and i found really an amazing operation sistem , and increble fast faster then other operation systems

i know there are several software for ubuntu , some really great

would like to know if some users have a 100% linux workflow
and if yes , could you tell me what programs do you use?

thanks

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

sponsored links
maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 13, 2015 14:03 |  #2

Unfortunately adobe doesn't have native Linux support so it forces you to run an emulator, which always bugged me so I just dual boot Into windows whenever I need to use lightroom or Photoshop.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 14, 2015 11:09 |  #3

I've never tried it, but there is a Linux editor/RAW converter called Darktable. http://www.darktable.o​rg (external link)

--
John

mantra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 14, 2015 11:22 |  #4

jc1350 wrote in post #17431545 (external link)
I've never tried it, but there is a Linux editor/RAW converter called Darktable. http://www.darktable.o​rg (external link)

hi
yes i tried and it's really a beautiful software very fast with great results

but what i miss is an pwerfull photo organizer like photo supreme v3 , and an editor better then the gimp

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses

sidknee
Goldmember
1,526 posts
Gallery: 730 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 14, 2015 15:22 |  #5

I've used a linux only workflow for years now, there are loads of programs for you to try including the following
DigiKam for viewing, cataloging, tagging, editing, RAW conversion
Darktable RAW conversion, and tethered shooting
Rawtherapee RAW conversion
Gimp editing and RAW conversion with ufraw plugin.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/7229289@N07/ (external link)

Kumsa
218 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 04, 2015 17:13 |  #6

Nearly exclusive to Linux workflow for several years.

I'm actually pretty pleased with AfterShotPro (ASP2) for RAW, printing through Turboprint onto a Canon Pro-100, and extra tif/jpg manipulation with GIMP/G'MIC. Panoramas are stiched with Hugin, and focus stacking by way of Zerene.

I have DarkTable, and I'm tempted, but I find the GUI a bit of a learning curve and I just don't have the time. What I don't know, is whether or not the RAW conversion on DarkTable is up to what I get from AfterShotPro.

ASP2 has a good catalog index. I work off a Synology NAS with backup to a large GDrive account.

Good luck

http://photonaturalist​.net/author/jdausman/ (external link)
https://mynameisjack.c​ulturalspot.org/home (external link)

6D / Canon 35 f2 IS USM / Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 / EF-S 55-250mm / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma Tele 2.x / Samyang 14mm / Yong Nuo flashes / Orlit Strobes Pixma Pro-100 / Epson P800 / ColorHug / Tokina 100mm AT-X M100 AF PRO D / Linux Ubuntu / PrintFab-TurboPrint / AfterShot Pro / GIMP / DarkTable / Zerene Stacker

alessandro2009
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 05, 2015 11:27 |  #7

Unfortunately Gimp have certain limits:
- 16 bit (even 32 bit) support will came only with the new release Gimp 2.10 (or you could try it now on the developer release 2.9 that naturally isn't finished and is extremely slow)
- non-destructive photo adjustment will came later (isn't clear when precisely this happen)
Ecc.
While the free raw-editor available aren't quite there for fine selection as happen with Adobe Lightroom.
Once they will be finally available these things then the alternative will be more feasible.

Note:
Photivo (external link) is another raw editor.

sidknee
Goldmember
1,526 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 05, 2015 13:11 |  #8

Kumsa wrote in post #17460765 (external link)
Nearly exclusive to Linux workflow for several years.

I'm actually pretty pleased with AfterShotPro (ASP2) for RAW, printing through Turboprint onto a Canon Pro-100, and extra tif/jpg manipulation with GIMP/G'MIC. Panoramas are stiched with Hugin, and focus stacking by way of Zerene.

I have DarkTable, and I'm tempted, but I find the GUI a bit of a learning curve and I just don't have the time. What I don't know, is whether or not the RAW conversion on DarkTable is up to what I get from AfterShotPro.

I've been a Bibble user for the last nearly 8 years and even though I've tried ASP2 I can't get into it as it seems to me that they have just reduced the usefulnes of the last build of Bibble and not added anything. I know I'm going to have to get used to something else when I next change my camera and I have been trying Darktable and Rawtherapee on and off. I'm leaning towards Darktable at this point.

Although I haven't done extensive comparisons, the rew conversions from Darktable seem to be very good to me.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Mar 05, 2015 13:15 |  #9

It's been a long while but I liked RAW Therapy,

I have been using Bibble on Windows for years and now still use Aftershot sometimes.

I've not gotten to V2, but agree Aftershot 1 was missing some of Bibbles features. But even before Aftershot, Bibble was reducing usefulness. The last version or two had REMOVED full dual monitor functionality (removed docking menus so menus could not be docked on a separate monitor from the image.)

What a terrible and odd change!

Anyway, aftershot on Linux would not be a bad choice but as mentioned there are other good options.

The Gimp on the other hand was never something I enjoyed. My own workflow relies on PS heavily, so that's a bit of a barrier.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sidknee
Goldmember
1,526 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 05, 2015 13:40 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #10

I never noticed the removal of those functions, never had dual monitors to use them in the first place!

I've been using gimp since 2002 so I'm plenty used to it by now :)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 07, 2015 21:56 |  #11

I had my first dual monitor set up on Windows 95 (and yes it was a serious trick to pull off!)
It was a pair of old CRTs, a 17" and 19" if I recall.
I've made a point of using two or more ever since. Even at work.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

photogs_spouse
75 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by photogs_spouse.

Mar 14, 2015 15:29 |  #12

Yes, but before I toss out my own workflow,
try this:

POTN's Digital Photography with Linux Reference Guide
https://photography-on-the.net …hread.php?t=526​570&page=1

Linux- any linux users?
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1065​987&page=5

Testing out Linux
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=16738647

Searching the forums for specific linux os/programs will catch even more info.
Searching the repositories for "camera" "photo" "gallery" "album" "exif" "iptc" "meta" can dig out the newer and more obscure stuff.

If you have a bad day with, say, date or time, you can correct it with EXIFTool. Or you just want the original data exported to a text file for further use.....

My workflow can vary a bit...
preview the raw images using Geeqie because I like the fast slide show option.
Adjust and convert to jpg in Darktable.
Usaully, I stop here, but if I want anything further done,
open Gimp and play around.
Exiftool might be used to show someone the original camera settings.
Done.

If I did more with the panorama stuff, I'd look at more of that software. Same with the other more single-purpose software.

mantra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 17, 2015 11:05 |  #13

hi
no to be insistent

but under ubuntu with dispcalGUI could you calibrate monitos and printers?

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,832 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by kirkt. (2 edits in all)

May 17, 2015 18:41 as a reply to  @ mantra's post |  #14

Dispcalgui is for displays only - it is a GUI front end for ArgyllCMS, which is a collection of command line utilities which will do printer/paper profiling.

Kirk

Kirk
---

mantra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 18, 2015 11:52 |  #15

kirkt wrote in post #17560403 (external link)
Dispcalgui is for displays only - it is a GUI front end for ArgyllCMS, which is a collection of command line utilities which will do printer/paper profiling.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk
and for printer/paper profiling is there a software for ubuntu ?

sponsored links

3,808 views & 0 likes for this thread
linux workflow, does somebody use it?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.