Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Jan 2015 (Friday) 11:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Color Paper and Gel do you like to keep around?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,846 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jan 30, 2015 11:06 |  #1

Outside of black, grey and white that are not really colors, and outside of color correction gels, what do you find the most useful?

I dug out an old roll of seamless that i think is Savage Sienna, but it's probably 20 years old so who knows. I like it, a lot.

example:
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=17407037&i=​i170706029

can we not repost images that are already in our gallery?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 30, 2015 16:05 |  #2

I like to have a deep red. I shoot a lot of boudoir, I also am planning to get a deep purple. A lot would depend on what your shooting.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,846 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 31, 2015 09:11 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #3

Yes, it is definitely a situational thing. I do more small product photography than anything and want to get more creative with my offerings. White and grey bore the crap out of me.

I am just interested in what others like and why from a discussion point of view rather than a "you should try this" point of view. I rarely see examples of colored seamless paper, and don't ever remember talk of it in this forum.

I suspect red could be interesting. Have you ever hit it with enough light to approach blowing it out? Does it turn pink?

Likewise, purple might turn a royal blue which might be nice.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 31, 2015 09:22 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #4

I tend to keep them as deep as I can, but that's a personal choice

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,846 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Feb 14, 2015 09:33 |  #5

anyone?

anyone?

i saw this a week or so ago "savage top 10 favorite colors" with most of them being grey and white !!!

http://savageuniversal​.com …orite-savage-paper-colors (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,784 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 14, 2015 10:48 |  #6

Keep in mind that you can turn any neutral (white/grey/black) background into any colored background with the suitable color of gel and the appropriate level of light source intensity!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,846 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 14, 2015 10:54 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #7

indeed. that is certainly why grey is the most popular, in fact 9 times out of 10 that is the "color" hanging from my ceiling.

but you couldn't do that with the image i linked to. :D

oh, and fwiw, i finally noticed that the box of paper that roll came in listed it as "Autumn" but that is not the color currently known as Autumn.

Wilt
41,784 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt.

Feb 14, 2015 12:13 |  #8

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17431525 (external link)
but you couldn't do that with the image i linked to. :D

I have collected old threads that show the difference of using the same gel on black paper vs. on white paper. Not shown, you could also project gel onto grey paper.
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=9492990&po​stcount=14
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=9492981&po​stcount=13
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=3261798&p​ostcount=7

While you can change colors with gels
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=2407598&p​ostcount=1
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=4429196&p​ostcount=1
, nevertheless, changing the background paper is still useful for changes in saturation.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 14, 2015 12:23 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #9

You might be able to get a similar effect with the white paper using gel's and a custom white balance similar to what is shown here: http://youtu.be …=FLouVDD9Te5Lab​M2a2L35Mww (external link)

I don't think it would turn out as well as your example photo but for those of us who don't want to buy multiple rolls of seamless it might be an option if the gelled light is used with a grid/honeycomb setup.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,846 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (4 edits in all)

Feb 14, 2015 13:02 |  #10

wilt, i know what you're talking about, but either i'm missing something (it happens daily) or you didn't look at my example in the first post. A lot of my work is product photography and clients seem to want things they can isolate from the background. BORING! I want to do stuff a little more creative, or at least try to convince them that something more creative will give a more lasting impression on their clients. Hopefully it will increase my value to them and in turn revenues. :D

I know i asked about "gels AND paper" in the same thread, but my question is really "gels OR paper. For paper the idea is to shoot white light at a product sitting on the seamless. I've been using gridded softboxes shooting slightly up to keep the light from falling on the paper, but still light the front of the product, then a spot to illuminate both the paper and product. Hitting the product with a gel is really not an option. Neither is wacky white balance, mrfixit, at least not for this application.

Some of the color gels i have now are kind of boring because they come out not so saturated. I have a Rosco kit for my speedlights that I like. You can really tell the difference in a quality gel like the Rosco and one of marginal quality. I just made a reflective glass for products and did this test shot yesterday. The CL360 on the table was gelled and lighting my grey paper background for the blue reflection. The gel was not so blue so i had to do some work in post to get it away from cyan and toward real blue. More and less power to the flash did change the value of the color, but also increased the size of the spotlight (even with a grid) in such a way that it took the shot away from what i really wanted it to look like.

anyway, I want to know what colors you folks like in your photography. I tend to stay with earth tones or bold, saturated, primaries or secondaries. Pastels don't do it for me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 14, 2015 13:49 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

What about pink, He's Gone? :p :p

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Wilt
41,784 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Feb 14, 2015 14:01 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #12

I was suggesting different principles be considered, not specifically suggesting one approach.

• one can control SATURATION of the background by projecting gels onto a) white, or b) grey, or c) black
  • while one can control BRIGHTNESS via power/intensity of the light projected thru the gel
  • and one can control HUE simply with gel color selection

The link (camera shot on the color paper) is dull and boring. So instead you can put the camera into a 'set' and illuminate your background (neutral colored paper) with a gel, and the level of illumination established by the power of the b/g light source, saturation is controlled with what the gel is projected onto.
Your latest post with photo of flash gear sitting on a acrylic plastic which reflects the background is that principle in action.

Additionally, one can use TRANSMITTED light rather than reflected light, as this is an example from a lighting workshop I once took. (This shot is actually a three part multiple exposure on one piece of film.)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG001.jpg

In this particular case, the exercise was about using transmitted light, thru the background paper and (separately!) thru the glass of wine, not about reflective illumination of the set or wine bottle

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by pulsar123.

Feb 14, 2015 14:05 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #13

For the best results with gels (the most saturated color) you should use as dark background paper as you can get away with. I took a chance and bought Savage #20 Black paper in addition to the Thunder Gray I had, and color saturation increased dramatically. (I measured the Black to be 1.5 stops darker than Thunder Gray, and by the same factor you increase the gel's color saturation, because of the suppression of the spilled light from key, fill in etc. lights). Example:

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7401/16239724438_5bfd4eae07_n.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qK3Q​hW  (external link) Selfie (home studio) (external link) by syamastro (external link), on Flickr

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,846 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 14, 2015 14:17 |  #14

pulsar123 wrote in post #17431756 (external link)
For the best results with gels (the most saturated color) you should use as dark background paper as you can get away with. I took a chance and bought Savage #20 Black paper in addition to the Thunder Gray I had, and color saturation increased dramatically. (I measured the Black to be 1.5 stops darker than Thunder Gray, and by the same factor you increase the gel's color saturation, because of the suppression of the spilled light from key, fill in etc. lights). Example:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qK3Q​hW  (external link) Selfie (home studio) (external link) by syamastro (external link), on Flickr

nice. I was going to find that thread you started a week or so ago and ask for an update.

with what wilt is explaining, maybe i need to pick up some black and start expanding on what i did with the glass and flash shot above. Only problem being even 36 inches has already proven to be kind of small, the back of the glass was not pure black at the back edge. Maybe i just need to create a smaller spot of light on the paper to keep that from happening.

sponsored links

3,783 views & 0 likes for this thread
What Color Paper and Gel do you like to keep around?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.