Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 07 Feb 2015 (Saturday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Samsung SSD 850 Series. EVO vs PRO ? Thoughts?

xravexboix
41 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 07, 2015 14:10 |  #1

After reading the differences between the two, it seems it's only a slight advantage to send money on the PRO model. I've also seen the benchmarks, and it's still fairly similar. I'm specifically

If you've faced the same dilemma, which one did you end up purchasing and for what reason?

Current Bodies: Canon 6D, Canon 50D
Current Lenses: Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8, Canon 135mm f/2L
Retired Gear: Canon XTi, 50mm f/1.4
Learning through mistakes.

sponsored links
110yd
774 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 07, 2015 15:05 |  #2

I have the PRO model. The drive has performed as advertised thus far. The concern I had when purchasing was the issue of wear on flash. The drive is backed up regularly, but the physics of flash easily pushed me to the PRO model because of the longer warranty.

Hope this helps,

110yd

crbinson
604 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 07, 2015 15:20 |  #3

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I chose the PRO because I picked it up at a discount.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

markoftime
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 07, 2015 21:33 |  #4

I ordered a Samsung SSD 850 Series EVO just because. I guess the pro is 10% faster but it's not like I have a 50 MPX sensor.

-dave-m-
492 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by -dave-m-.

Feb 08, 2015 00:09 |  #5

For the average PC user I really don't see the increased cost of the Pro being worth it over the Evo. The real world performance will be negligible. The real difference is in the warranty and rated life, but for most users this will be meaningless. For example I have two PC's running 250 GB 840 Evo's, they have been in use for 18 months. Both of these PC's are used daily for gaming, photo and video processing. So far the total bytes written on these drives are 1.22 and 2.05 TB. At these rates I will reach the 40 TB rating in 49.1 and 29.2 years. With SATA Express and M.2 interfaces becoming more mainstream most users will upgrade to faster drives long before approaching the write ratings.

If you are a professional photographer/videograp​her or do high volume processing than the increased cost is justified.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

xravexboix
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 08, 2015 14:14 |  #6

Thanks everyone. Definitely just a hobbyist with an occasional paid job. Sounds like the EVO would do fine and it'll allow me to pick up another SanDisk SD card for the camera too.

Current Bodies: Canon 6D, Canon 50D
Current Lenses: Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8, Canon 135mm f/2L
Retired Gear: Canon XTi, 50mm f/1.4
Learning through mistakes.

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 10, 2015 13:30 |  #7

The flash chips in the PRO will last longer. It's MLC (two bits per cell) instead of TLC (three bits per cell) which will be a little more reliable - but the EVO is a good drive, very hard wearing. Enterprise drives are SLC, one bit per cell, the most reliable.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
422 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 10, 2015 18:29 |  #8

I think both are excellent. I've stuck with the EVO though, as I built over 10 desktops for my office. Pro gets excellent reviews as well. I think it's more of a pricing issue.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Brules
521 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 13, 2015 17:23 |  #9

For ANYONE buying the Samsung Evo 840 850 or Pro SSD's, go and download and run and use the Samsung Magician software:

Details on it:

http://www.samsung.com …tepaper/whitepa​per12.html (external link)

Download here:

http://www.samsung.com …ng_Magician_Set​up_v45.zip (external link)

You can use it to optimize your drive, download firmware updates, optimize your OS, over provision the drive (def use this - will extend the life of the drive) and you can enable their RAPID technology.

All great a must have software if you run these drives.

I can't wait to snag another one - have my eyes on a 1TB to got with my 500gb 840 EVO!

S100 | 5D III | 16-35 F4 IS L | 35 F1.4L | 40 2.8 | 85 F1.2 II L | 135 F2 L | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 13, 2015 17:43 |  #10

I have RAPID installed but I don't use RAPID - there are benefits to benchmarks, not really to practical use. It just makes a RAM cache, which windows already does. Firmware updates and such are useful.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,100 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 14, 2015 11:59 |  #11

I haven't seen any indication that the longer term warranties for SSDs correlate to increased short-term reliability, and as a professional I upgrade drives well within three years.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 14, 2015 12:38 |  #12

I know some people are worried about flash endurance which has turned out to mostly be a bogey man kind for quality SSDs. If you are using your system a lot for editing your probably going to upgrade it every few years and if so it really shouldn't be a concern unless you are doing a massive amount of data writes to the SSD.

There have been a few endurance tests showing quality drives last far far beyond manufactures claimed lifespan, here is one that might interest people thinking about buy SSD's. http://techreport.com …n-the-way-to-a-petabyte/3 (external link)

As for the original question I would buy the Evo vs. the pro, the performance difference for day to day workloads will be minimal and with prices dropping so rapidly on SSD's you are going to be able to upgrade to something much larger for a much better price in 2 years vs. today. The other thing to think of is if you are connecting the drive vs. a standard sata 3 connector used on most hard drives that even the previous generation EVO basically saturated the bandwidth on SATA3 for large file transfers.

Keep in mind as well larger drives typically will have longer flash endurance because they can spread the writes out over a larger amount of flash storage(unless you keep your drive 80%+ full constantly).

I have had my 840 EVO for over a year and it has my Lightroom databases/previews on it while the raw files and jpeg's are stored to a separate disk and in a year I have only written 8TB of data to it, at this rate it will be around 10-15 years before I even hit the manufactures estimated write capacity, and I am certainly more towards the power user of the spectrum vs. an average user.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,720 views & 0 likes for this thread
Samsung SSD 850 Series. EVO vs PRO ? Thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.