Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 12 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 21:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II vs 70D

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 14, 2015 10:55 |  #16

Debi:
I see you are not responding to any suggestion put forwarded to you so not sure what direction you are moving or what is you farther narrowing spects as for eg to me GPS is very important and none gives it, however I also see that my Valuable( :)) suggestion is also fully ignored by all who made a comment here, so let me add numbers as nothing else talks better than real features and salient facts thus numbers, and I only quote features that are really turning points and not all the small detail (At least for me). So you at least know what your are going to get at the price you pay:

The best of class features are marked Green. Choice should be easy, at least if I were you.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,986 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 14, 2015 11:20 |  #17

rgs wrote in post #17430100 (external link)
It may be just me but I think the flippy screen is a weak point. That hinge will break before anything else. If you plan on having the camera for 3 or 4 years and using it a few times a month (or even a couple of times a week), that's probably not a problem. If you plan on having your camera for 5 or more years in all kinds of conditions with all types of daily use, the flippy screen may turn into a problem which is why, I suspect, Canon didn't put one on the 7DII.

However, hooking your camera up to your smart phone or tablet and using the DSLR Controller app gives you a HAND HELD touch screen which is even more flexible, if a bit more of a nuisance to set up.

rgs wrote in post #17430100 (external link)
It may be just me but I think the flippy screen is a weak point. That hinge will break before anything else. If you plan on having the camera for 3 or 4 years and using it a few times a month (or even a couple of times a week), that's probably not a problem. If you plan on having your camera for 5 or more years in all kinds of conditions with all types of daily use, the flippy screen may turn into a problem which is why, I suspect, Canon didn't put one on the 7DII.

However, hooking your camera up to your smart phone or tablet and using the DSLR Controller app gives you a HAND HELD touch screen which is even more flexible, if a bit more of a nuisance to set up.

I have discovered that in real field operations, there are plenty of points of failure with the DSLR Controller solution. For instance, I had to go through a dozen USB cables before I found three built well enough to give lag-free focusing close to what I got on the 70D touch screen. Even then, it doesn't give me a touch screen button to turn continuous focus tracking immediately on and off the way I'd like. ("Track this object now; stop tracking, now track this; stop tracking that, now track this.")

DSLR Controller is neat as all get-out, but as a full solution in the field, it not very operationally robust (physically, electronically, systematically), and certainly not as robust as the directly attached screen. The directly attached screen works better minute by minute when unpredictable stuff is happening all around you. If it finally breaks (and there is enough data in to know when and where that's really a problem) that what identical back up cameras are for.

Environmental sealing for Canon is a shell game. They're still using the ancient EOS 1 as their reference. If they intended to put their necks on the line, they'd refer to the Japan Industrial Standards scale the way Sekonic does for its light meters. http://www.hy-com.com/jis.htm (external link) The closest to any real specification Canon has ever used "drip resistant" would put their best cameras at only a JIS-1 level.

rgs
Goldmember
2,316 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 14, 2015 12:40 |  #18

samsen wrote in post #17431527 (external link)
Debi:
I see you are not responding to any suggestion put forwarded to you so not sure what direction you are moving or what is you farther narrowing spects as for eg to me GPS is very important and none gives it, however I also see that my Valuable( :)) suggestion is also fully ignored by all who made a comment here, so let me add numbers as nothing else talks better than real features and salient facts thus numbers, and I only quote features that are really turning points and not all the small detail (At least for me). So you at least know what your are going to get at the price you pay:

The best of class features are marked Green. Choice should be easy, at least if I were you.

I could make a similar chart choosing either aspects of each camera that I consider to be of paramount importance or design it to direct the reader toward my preconceived choice. In fact that is what ad agencies do daily. Everyone will make different choices for different reasons that they consider to be valid. This choice is not as cut and dried as your chart would indicate. Sorry.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 14, 2015 19:38 |  #19

I challenge any one to make a fair, fairer chart than what I made that has common sense incorporated in first place, then personal like or dislike.
BTW I am not representative of any company so can claim to have included what is the essence and necessities rather that nonsense data. Again if you can make a better chart, that can truly yield a different result, I am interested to look at otherwise passing baseless, light comments is not hard by any means.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

WaterBoy2090
175 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by WaterBoy2090.

Feb 14, 2015 21:28 |  #20

samsen wrote in post #17432080 (external link)
I challenge any one to make a fair, fairer chart than what I made that has common sense incorporated in first place, then personal like or dislike.

Perhaps a chart comparing the 40D, 70D & 7D2 might be more appropriate, after all, that is the OP's current (albeit broken) body, and the two bodies she is interested in.

Why not include the 1DX? (Even the the OP Didn't ask about that camera either.) It is clearly the best camera for the stated types of photography.

...otherwise passing baseless, light comments is not hard by any means.

Thank you for your critique; I do however, still feel that my baseless comments, whilst not tabulated, are at least, relevant.

7D Mark II
10-18 f4.5-5.6 is, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L is II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L is II, TC1.4, & 430EX II

rgs
Goldmember
2,316 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by rgs.

Feb 14, 2015 22:04 |  #21

BTW I am not representative of any company so can claim to have included what is the essence and necessities rather that nonsense data. Again if you can make a better chart, that can truly yield a different result, I am interested to look at otherwise passing baseless, light comments is not hard by any means.

The Rebel is certainly a lot of camera for the money but your chart is not based on common sense but rather YOUR personal like or dislike. I will not try to guess your intent, but I can say that your chart DOES NOT include the 7DII's:

• Two card slots that allow real time back-ups of digital files or extended card capacity or any number of other very practical uses.
  • Highly configurable AF cases to fine tune AF for specific uses.
  • 3 customizable shooting modes.
  • Many user configurable buttons that allow changing the camera's controls to suit personal needs.
  • Allowing different AF set-up in vertical and horizontal modes making switching between AF arrays very easy.

Your list does include 3 entries about the flippy screen which means very little to me (although I have been assured it is well constructed and might find it useful if I had it), and seems to emphasize video/LV uses. I primarily use the VF, reserving LV for some static subjects and use video as an adjunct to my still work. If I wanted a video camera, I would buy one.

So some of what you view as "common sense" I view nice to have but not critical. Not everyone's work or working methods are the same - which is why Canon makes different models and why the ideal choice for you is not ideal for me and may not be for the OP - who, by the way, did not include the Rebel in his choices.

One size just does not fit all.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 14, 2015 23:57 |  #22

Sorry this discussion is not going anywhere and I apologize for the wasted time here.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Feb 15, 2015 05:17 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #23

Samsen, I think your contribution is very interesting, and it's up to the OP to determine which features are important to him and which are not. It would be nice to include the 40d as the current camera and I do think the Rebel t6s is an interesting choice at a lot less money. Certainly one to be considered and not tossed out just because the OP didn't think of it.

rgs, your points are valid as well. Not every feature matters as much to anyone and I have been in a similar situation when researching the 550d, 60d and 7d. Comparing them in a table with the features that matter to you is a powerful tool, and be sure to try them out in a store as well. There are things that can't be noted in only a table - ergonomics for example is very personal. I prefer my camera's to be large but many people prefer smaller camera's.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 15, 2015 05:45 |  #24

I have the 70D I thought long and hard about getting the 7D MarkII but in the end I didn't see enough to out weight the cost between the two. I do love the vari-angle touch screen on the 70D. The Wifi being able to connect to my phone is great too, while on vacation I can take a picture with the camera and transfer it to my phone and upload it to facebook or post it anywhere else right then and there. It did take me some time fumbling around to get the wifi figured out but once I did it's worked smoothly. So the money I saved I took and picked up an UAW 10-22 and a 70-200F4L and I've been quite happy with the setup I know have.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

bobbyhicks
53 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 21, 2015 19:26 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #25

Wow, you opened my eyes to the t6. I was looking for opinions about a purchase of 7dm2 vs 70d, but never considered the 6t. It has some pretty nice features added on. I had a t5i before and did not like the lack of the 2nd finger wheel on the back so I sold it. But I want to go back to having a crop to go with my 5d too. Do you know if they added the adjustment wheel on the back of the 6t? Also what is your opinion on the value of the 7dm2 vs. 70d as a landscape shooter would need?

BobH65

bobbyhicks
53 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 21, 2015 19:31 as a reply to  @ post 17429597 |  #26

So you like your 7dm2. What do you like about it the most? I am considering it or the 70 and I do mostly landscape? I really would like the articulating screen so I can get low down with it, and I have to give that up on the 7.

BobH65

bobbyhicks
53 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 21, 2015 19:32 as a reply to  @ post 17429700 |  #27

Now that you have the 70 would you miss the articulating screen not on the 7?

BobH65

bobbyhicks
53 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 21, 2015 19:34 as a reply to  @ post 17429740 |  #28

Agree, I had the articulating screen on the t5i and that is why I want the 70

BobH65

bobbyhicks
53 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 21, 2015 19:39 as a reply to  @ post 17430100 |  #29

As a landscape shooter I loved the flippy screen to just hold the camera on the ground and be able to compose the shot without actually putting my face on the ground. But you might be right, it may be a weak link there, good point.

BobH65

bobbyhicks
53 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 21, 2015 19:43 as a reply to  @ post 17430693 |  #30

So you have the 70 and the 7m2, right? Why did you buy the 7 when you had the 70, Just curious as I'm thinking of one or the other?

BobH65

sponsored links

10,289 views & 19 likes for this thread
7D Mark II vs 70D
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.