Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Feb 2015 (Friday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What flash should I upgrade to?

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 13, 2015 21:21 |  #1

I currently use Yongnuo 468-II on my 60D and it's great but I'm looking to get a second one so I can play around with lighting using two flashes off-camera. I would like more power & aside from that I'm not really sure what else I want from a flash. I would like to be able to use it on-camera and also off-camera on my brolly boxes. For my budget i'd like to stay under $200, preferably closer to $150 or less.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 14, 2015 01:40 |  #2

Yn560 if you don't need ETTL (on or off camera) or HSS

Yn565ex if you need ETTL but don't need hss

Yn568ex if you need ETTL and hss

All three are the same power As each other (on paper at least) and more powerful then your 468ex.

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 15, 2015 02:24 as a reply to  @ gremlin75's post |  #3

Thank you that's very helpful! This may be a silly question but on Amazon the YN-565ex says TTL and no ettl, could it still be the same? D: I can't find one, the only with ETTL says its for Nikon, so I'm confused.

Cheers,
Nora

bhursey
439 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by bhursey.

Feb 15, 2015 07:52 |  #4

Really the Pixel mago seems better built and the v760 is a ton better build the yn568ex. See the power comparison in my testing. I own all 3 but the v760 and yn568ex works the best with the yn568 and the v760..

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7417/16429102791_727fc9f588_z.jpg

Cameras: Canon 60D and 20D
Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8, 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)Strobist: Canon 580EX II , 2X YN-568EX, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, Pixel Mago, 4x Cactus RF60 , Voeloon V760 and 331EX, 4x YN622C and (cactus v4, v5, V6)"
http://flickr.com/phot​os/bhursey (external link) | http://brianhurseyphot​ography.com (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 15, 2015 10:29 |  #5

Naraly wrote in post #17432379 (external link)
Thank you that's very helpful! This may be a silly question but on Amazon the YN-565ex says TTL and no ettl, could it still be the same? D: I can't find one, the only with ETTL says its for Nikon, so I'm confused.

Just bad Amazon postings then. The 565ex is an Ettl flash.

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 15, 2015 17:03 as a reply to  @ bhursey's post |  #6

Interesting, I have never heard of the v760. Thanks for your info.

Cheers,
Nora

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 15, 2015 17:05 |  #7

Now i'm leaning towards the 568ex. I don't use hss but maybe one day I will want to, or it's just because I've never had that option and I imagine it will come in handy a lot the more I explore with lighting.

Is the YN-568ex compatible with the RF-603C II?

Cheers,
Nora

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,655 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 15, 2015 17:36 |  #8

Nora,

You don't absolutely need triggers for your YN-468 and new YN-568 to work together. The both include built-in optical triggers that support both ETTL and manual exposure control. The YN-568 will work as an ETTL MASTER, so it will control and set exposure automatically on the YN-468. In manual mode, either model can be a master or slave.

What external triggers do is substitute radio frequencies (RF) for optical triggering (detecting the light from another flash). Optical triggers can be unreliable if they can't "see" the light put out by the triggering flash. RF improves reliability because it is not (easily) blocked by obstacles such as reflectors, and don't have to be positioned to see the triggering flash's light output.

All an RF-603 will do is give you wireless RF triggering. The RF-603 does not support ETTL, so the flashes would need to be setup for manual exposure. The Yongnou YN-622C triggers will support wireless RF triggering AND ETTL, so the flashes could be setup for automatic or manual exposure control.

I think that as you get more experience in multi-flash setups you will find that manual power control is the way to go. Both your YN-468 and YN-568 can be setup for manual power settings. But consider you can buy two YN-560IV flashes, which include built-in RF triggers, for the price of one YN-568. Then you could buy a YN-560TX transmitter to trigger and control the power levels on both flashes remotely from your camera.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 15, 2015 19:50 |  #9

Hopefully, you have better luck with the yn568 than me. Mine for some reason is draining batteries even when turned off. My yn500 does not.

Some of my feedback

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 15, 2015 21:46 |  #10

hang your cross wrote in post #17433431 (external link)
Hopefully, you have better luck with the yn568 than me. Mine for some reason is draining batteries even when turned off. My yn500 does not.

I'm curious what the date code is on yours?

Some of the yn600-ex-rt have been reported to have draining issues so I wonder if it was a production quality issue around a certain time frame.

I have two 568ex's and neither have drainage issues.

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 15, 2015 22:40 |  #11

November 2014. This is a YN568EX II btw.

Some of my feedback

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by hang your cross.

Feb 20, 2015 17:25 |  #12

My new one came in last night. I threw in a set of fully charged eneloops and let it sit to see what will happen. I just checked and it turned on and was "charged" in a matter of two seconds. This one was manufactured in 1/15.

Some of my feedback

sponsored links

2,079 views & 0 likes for this thread
What flash should I upgrade to?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.