Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 16 Feb 2015 (Monday) 08:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which crop ?

Canon-Chas
243 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by Canon-Chas. (2 edits in all)

Feb 16, 2015 08:34 |  #1

I would appreciate some help on deciding which crop looks best for this photo of a Pine Marten.

I quite like the 1:1 ratio as its different, I like the 8:10 also as a portrait type, and I also like the landscape style.....

Which one shows the Pine Marten best ?

Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Chas
http://www.wildfeather​s.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
Canon-Chas
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 16, 2015 08:35 |  #2

Landscape crop

HOSTED PHOTO

Chas

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 16, 2015 17:47 as a reply to  @ Canon-Chas's post |  #3

The first one for me. I like the partial limb on the right. It works better than the last one where there is space on the other side of the limb, at least, to me. Your decision will make a difference if you print it. Will a landscape fit your wall better or would the portrait print? If I was going to print the portrait, I would crop just a tad more off the right to get rid of the limb entirely.

This is subjective, to be sure.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 16, 2015 17:50 |  #4

I definitely agree with Phoenixkh that if you're cropping it more vertically you should get rid of the limb on the right. Your second crop as is just looks a bit sloppy with it poking in like that.

As far as the third image goes, I like the shape of the tree but the first image does bring the focus in on the Pine Marten better.

I'm quite fond of 4:5 and 1:1 crops myself (and compose to use them quite often) but it needs to fit the content of the image.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,354 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 16, 2015 19:31 |  #5

I try to put the subjects eye right at one of the crosshair of the rule-of-thirds. In this case, I would shift the subject over to the right andhave it looking into "action" to the left. I would also crop out the vertical limb, or at least most of it.
Nice shot. never seen one of those.

flickr (external link)

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 16, 2015 19:46 |  #6

#1 for me
Artifact in right side of #2 is distracting

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,415 posts
Gallery: 177 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 16, 2015 20:22 |  #7

I like the square crop also.

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,297 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 16, 2015 20:28 |  #8

crbinson wrote in post #17435040 (external link)
#1 for me
Artifact in right side of #2 is distracting

Agreed. I think if you cloned out the small part of the trunk on the right though it would end up the stronger of the two.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
8,561 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 16, 2015 20:37 |  #9

The first one. No reason for the choice, it just looks better.

Philip

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,037 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring
Post edited over 6 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 17, 2015 00:44 |  #10

Of the three you posted, I prefer #2. But, if it were my image, I would use a 5:7 aspect ratio instead of the 4:5 aspect ratio. Besides having more pleasing proportions, this would also serve to remove the distracting tree trunk fragment along the right edge of the frame.

By the way, you captured the background in a very lovely, distraction-free way, and it looks great! Also, the pose (head turn) of the marten is wonderful. A really great image overall!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 17, 2015 00:54 |  #11

Less crop and landscape.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,787 posts
Gallery: 535 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 17, 2015 01:11 |  #12

First of all, great shot of an unusual critter (to me, anyway).

Re the crop: it would depend mostly on use! But if no use is considered, then I would go portrait if you want emphasis on the animal (true nature photo - "natural history" shot), but landscape otherwise. For hanging on my wall, I would choose the latter. Pictorially it is excellent IMO. However, I might try placing the animal slightly more to the right by cropping a bit to see how that looks.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to the Beethoven Channel (external link).

Canon-Chas
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by Canon-Chas. (5 edits in all)

Feb 17, 2015 03:55 |  #13

Thanks all for your kind comments. Is there a way to allow others to edit your images so as to help ?

Top pic 5 x 7 crop looks like this. Bottom pic is unconstrained . No vertical cropping on original image

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Chas

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,354 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by Larry Johnson.

Feb 17, 2015 14:24 |  #14

Canon-Chas wrote in post #17435574 (external link)
Is there a way to allow others to edit your images so as to help ?

well, there used to be a setting that you could select to give others permission to edit your photos. Not sure where that is now.
I prefer the second.

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,037 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring
Post edited over 6 years ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Feb 17, 2015 17:36 |  #15

Larry Johnson wrote in post #17436162 (external link)
well, there used to be a setting that you could select to give others permission to edit your photos.

Supposedly, that is gone and will not come back. I think Pekka likes it better with no such setting.

In lieu of the setting, I think members could put something in their signature that says,

"I grant permission for anyone to edit any of my photos in any way they like, and to post these edited photos of mine anywhere they want".

That way, people wouldn't have to go thru the hassle of sending a PM, and then waiting for the PM to be answered. By time that happens, you've already moved on to other things, and it is too late.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

4,782 views & 9 likes for this thread
Which crop ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.