Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 17 Feb 2015 (Tuesday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Prices seem crazy

Luxx
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 17, 2015 16:20 |  #1

Why do I constantly see prices for used gear higher than the pricewatch street prices and darn close to the retail prices. Do people actually pay that much or do the sellers assume people will ask to pay a lower price and they are trying to factor that into the initial price? I haven't bought much here…just one item which was a reasonable but not fabulous price and has been awesome…but I'm constantly looking and shocked by the sale prices a lot of the time.

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,416 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by Jarvis Creative Studios.

Feb 17, 2015 16:39 |  #2

Don't know what to tell you except to contact the seller privately and offer a price that you think is fair. If the price is still too high then pass on the item. Lens prices don't drop much, even if they're used. Camera bodies of course drop with newer tech coming out. I've found and sold plenty of items on this site for what I consider reasonable prices. Patience is a virtue when buying used gear.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

ctwatkins
529 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 17, 2015 16:40 |  #3

Personally, I think there are a lot of unrealistic prices on sell forum. If you glance down the listings to check for replies to the posts, many have none. I see that as a reflection of the posted prices not being market driven.

Gear: 5D MKIII * 6D * 35L (1.4) * 135L (2.0) * 24 - 70L (2.8II) * 70 - 200L (2.8ISII) * 200L (2.0IS) * 580 EX * Induro CT213 * PCB AB B800 (X3) * Pocketwizard Plus

jmckayak
483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2009

Feb 17, 2015 16:59 |  #4

Lots of prices are too high. Those items linger on the boards. Lots of low prices show up here and get snapped up quickly. (gotta check often) Eventually, the higher priced items find a market, the seller lowers the price or the items just sit on the seller's shelf. This how markets are supposed to work.
By the way, do YOU have any stuff that you're selling at a low price? Let me know...

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,490 posts
Gallery: 470 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by ptcanon3ti.

Feb 17, 2015 17:07 |  #5

There are a lot of people who grossly over value their gear. Just move on to the next offering.

Some people have no idea.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,465 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 17, 2015 17:15 |  #6

the way i look at it if its the same or more than you can get it refurbed from manufacturer with a warranty its just wishful thinking or hoping for a sucker to come along

My portraits IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mgkaaPZt47U (external link)

jmckayak
483 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 17, 2015 17:33 |  #7

Personal rant: Price descriptions that are misleading:
Priced to Sell!! (but not to buy...)
Low Price!!! (on the high side of the used market)
My favorite - FIRE SALE! (any smoke damage???)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,490 posts
Gallery: 470 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 17, 2015 19:18 |  #8

lol...there is a BNIB 6D selling for $1675 right now. lolol

CPW has them at the street price of $1299 after rebate, from an AUTHORIZED dealer.

Like I said some people have no idea.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,065 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by idsurfer. (2 edits in all)

Feb 17, 2015 21:55 |  #9

jmckayak wrote in post #17436414 (external link)
Lots of prices are too high. Those items linger on the boards. Lots of low prices show up here and get snapped up quickly. (gotta check often) Eventually, the higher priced items find a market, the seller lowers the price or the items just sit on the seller's shelf. This how markets are supposed to work.
By the way, do YOU have any stuff that you're selling at a low price? Let me know...

Yep, I just grabbed a 17-40 for $400! "priced to sell" and it sold…in 8 minutes!

You are right though, some people put some stuff for crazy high prices!

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Sigma 16./1.4 | Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 17, 2015 22:22 |  #10

I see that too, kind of funny. Maybe they're hoping for a fool or they just don't do their research and just figure I want xyz

When ever I sell something (never did here) I list a price after looking what an item sells for online and that's my price. I also make it clear that it's fixed and paypal payment (or cash if local) only. Any haggling or other offer gets deleted.

But then, Starbucks manages to sell coffee at something like $32/gal (to the same people that whine about paying $3 for something shipped from far away and refined in billion dollar factories at the gas pump, LOL

A fool and his money....

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 17, 2015 22:27 |  #11

Guys & Gals,

POTN's rules clearly state that you cannot discuss or critique the price a seller chooses to sell their equipment for. If the price is too high, you should quietly move on. Any discussion on prices being too high is against the forum rules. In case you're wondering why, it's most likely to keep things civil. Generally speaking, if something is priced too high, then it won't sell and prices tend to eventually balance out.

Please do your best to follow the rules and keep this a great community for all to enjoy.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 17, 2015 23:13 |  #12

bps wrote in post #17436867 (external link)
Guys & Gals,

POTN's rules clearly state that you cannot discuss or critique the price a seller chooses to sell their equipment for. If the price is too high, you should quietly move on. Any discussion on prices being too high is against the forum rules. In case you're wondering why, it's most likely to keep things civil. Generally speaking, if something is priced too high, then it won't sell and prices tend to eventually balance out.

Please do your best to follow the rules and keep this a great community for all to enjoy.

Cheers,
Bryan

Yes, to post in a 'for sale' thread and complain about the price is verboten, to start a thread and speak in general terms without naming names is probably ok.

We've all seen the nutso prices on some things lately and I, like everyone else who can think, laugh and go on my merry way.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 17, 2015 23:27 |  #13

A few posts up, someone directly referred to a post that was active in the For Sale forum and then a flame war started up in that thread. This thread does not serve a positive or productive purpose and has already led to trouble.

Bryan

My Gear List

l89kip
584 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by l89kip.

Feb 17, 2015 23:47 |  #14

Some fellows may list some gears high as a bargaining point.

I saw some listings on our local craigslist out of normal range. For example, a 7D $900, a 17-40 f4 $675, and etc. People can ask whatever they feel comfortable. Sometimes it may work out for them. I read it as entertainment ...

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,499 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 17, 2015 23:54 |  #15

I search the local Craigslist quite a bit and rarely see a good deal... Mostly because I'm spoiled being on here. We all know what things are going for because of this board (and links from CPW) not to mention Canon refurbs. Good deals are pounced in quickly, but they are still out there.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

6,588 views & 6 likes for this thread
Prices seem crazy
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.