Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 17 Feb 2015 (Tuesday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Prices seem crazy

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,101 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 18, 2015 00:43 |  #16

bps wrote in post #17436938 (external link)
A few posts up, someone directly referred to a post that was active in the For Sale forum and then a flame war started up in that thread. This thread does not serve a positive or productive purpose and has already led to trouble.

Bryan

Yeah, I see what you mean. Kind of like gossip isn't it? Does not help a soul and ends up hurting everyone.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 18, 2015 05:40 |  #17

The prices only seem "crazy" due to the rebates that are about to end in two weeks. Come March, the prices will seem like a blessing / good deal.

Some of my feedback

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 18, 2015 06:52 |  #18

Ron Bailey wrote in post #17437019 (external link)
Yeah, I see what you mean. Kind of like gossip isn't it? Does not help a soul and ends up hurting everyone.

Exactly. The way I see it, let the market work like it's supposed to. If any of us see a price we think is high, simply walk away. If a seller wants to sell something they will either lower it to a price someone will want to pay, or they keep it. Likewise, if a buyer doesn't do his or her research and pays too much, then lesson learned for next time.

I think the high used prices are often the result of the seller buying something at full retail without research and they are trying to get the most back out of their investment when it's time to sell. Unfortunately for them, the impulse buy/lack of research doesn't mean anything to the buyer and how much he or she is willing to pay.

Tyguy
504 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Feb 18, 2015 09:14 |  #19

There's really no problem when a price is too high. As previously mentioned, just make a lower offer or move on. Besides, I've found POTN's used prices quite reasonable compared to the local online classifieds. There, the majority of used equipment is well overpriced. It's not uncommon to see a used item with an asking price higher than the brand new price at a local shop.

That said, there are very good deals to be had if you can catch them.

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by treebound.

Feb 18, 2015 09:23 |  #20

Are there any value guide sites for cameras and lenses and other gear like there is for golf clubs? When I'm looking at used golf clubs (can't afford the new stuff) I first check the PGA Value Guide which is what many stores use to value trade-ins. Just curious if there is a similar site for cameras and lenses.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

davebreal
894 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2015 10:02 |  #21

Let's say you were in the process of selling lollipops, and you thought that by online auctioning a lollipop at the starting bid of $1,000 you had a 1:1000 chance of success, would the process have a positive expected value to your bottom line?

Sellers are not necessarily expecting to sell things at high prices, but why not start the bidding off high?

Dave
flickr  (external link)Twitter  (external link)Wordpress Blog (external link) YouTube (external link)
My Gear--> Facebook (external link)

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,297 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 18, 2015 10:04 |  #22

Some of the comments in the thread, as well as the thread referred to above, are myopic at best. YOU might find a price crazy but that may not be the case for everyone. A buyer looking for an item may well find value in a given product even if it is more expensive than other listings or 'street' value if the seller is willing to accommodate certain conditions. I've paid higher prices to people willing to ship to Canada and I've sold for MUCH higher than 'normal' to buyers looking for shipping to certain locations, wishing to receive by a particular shipping method or wishing to pay using an unconventional method. Some people would gladly pay 200$ more if the seller can accommodate a customs declaration that will save the buyer 400$ in taxes. There is much surrounding buying and selling on forums that is best left to the seller and someone who might actually be interested in the item. You can't blindly look at the asking price without considering what might go on in the PMs between the seller and someone who might be motivated to pay a higher price for an item. Take eBay. People often ask for and receive wildly different prices for the same product based on any number of factors, not the least of which is arbitrage. eBay, like this forum, is global. Bigger than each of us and our particular perspective.

The general rule should be that whatever your personal feelings you shouldn't dump in someone else's sale thread. Just like having the option to buy or not, you have the option to comment or not. If you don't have anything positive to contribute it's best just to move on.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 18, 2015 10:13 |  #23

Exactly. Just like the person who commented stating a new 6d in the classifieds of having an asking price of $1675. What that person failed to mention was that included the needed stuff for the rebate. Whereas it's $1375 with the rebate completed by the seller. Selective information done on purpose to prove his point.

Some of my feedback

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 18, 2015 13:40 |  #24

Luxx wrote in post #17436346 (external link)
Why do I constantly see prices for used gear higher than the pricewatch street prices and darn close to the retail prices. Do people actually pay that much or do the sellers assume people will ask to pay a lower price and they are trying to factor that into the initial price? I haven't bought much here…just one item which was a reasonable but not fabulous price and has been awesome…but I'm constantly looking and shocked by the sale prices a lot of the time.

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Luxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 18, 2015 14:40 |  #25

I didn't mean to anger anyone. I was honestly wondering if people were really selling things used for higher than the retail price...and if they were maybe I should start a business. I did not critique any particular price and didn't think a general discussion about how used sales work would be harmful or against the rules. I was hoping I might learn something so that when I buy/sell equipment I could get a better deal.

I am getting tired of being told not to do things on the forum....don't discuss prices (I didn't critique any particular one)...
don't put up too many pictures....fine I deleted all of them (I tried linking to my flickr and failed on multiple attempts and the how-to's didn't help) this is less fun that it used to be.

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by hang your cross.

Feb 18, 2015 14:43 |  #26

Retail prices are not the same as what retailers are selling them for at the moment.

And people were criticizing members for posting in people's actually for sale threads and derailing the selling process because that particular person thought the price was too high.

Some of my feedback

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 18, 2015 15:50 |  #27

Luxx wrote in post #17437829 (external link)
I didn't mean to anger anyone. I was honestly wondering if people were really selling things used for higher than the retail price...and if they were maybe I should start a business. I did not critique any particular price and didn't think a general discussion about how used sales work would be harmful or against the rules. I was hoping I might learn something so that when I buy/sell equipment I could get a better deal.

I am getting tired of being told not to do things on the forum....don't discuss prices (I didn't critique any particular one)...
don't put up too many pictures....fine I deleted all of them (I tried linking to my flickr and failed on multiple attempts and the how-to's didn't help) this is less fun that it used to be.

not sure what particular issues you've had that prompted this post, and not meant to be mean but just adding to the discussion... in my opinion complaining about prices is about as silly as posting high prices. look, it's the seller's job to try to get as much money as he possibly can for an item. if he can sell a 50 1.8 for $1000, then that is what he should do. it is the buyer's job to do his research and buy as low as possible--if you can buy the 50 1.8 for $40, you should too. if either is unrealistic, as noted previously the market will take care of that--the seller will not sell, and the buyer will not buy. eventually the prices meet in the middle.

again, i dunno all the rules you take issue with, but the one about not discussing prices in other people's for sale thread totally makes sense. those threads aren't meant to be discussion like here where you can argue 'till you drop. i am sure you would appreciate it when you sell an item.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 5 years ago by mpix345.

Feb 20, 2015 08:14 |  #28

I don't see an issue with this thread. It is harmless, unless folks choose to call out specific ads or post directly in FS threads, which is not so cool.

What I see are two distinct groups of users in the Classifieds. Group A are serial buyers/sellers and folks who are flipping gear for a profit. They are scanning ebay and other sites for good deals all the time, watching all the deal sites, etc. They know the price range for most common items, and will attempt to buy at the low end of that range and sell at the high end. Group B are the folks who only enter the buy/sell world when they actually want to buy or sell. They don't necessarily do a lot of homework, and don't want to spend a lot of time waiting to find the right deal. When they sell they tend to sometimes think about what they paid for their gear, not what price the market is supporting.

I'm generalizing, of course. Lots of folks don't obsess on used gear prices but still do enough research to price something accordingly. But I think the pricing gap the OP mentions lies somewhere between the two groups I am describing. No harm in that. As others have said, if a price is too high either ignore it or PM the seller offering what you think is reasonable.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 20, 2015 08:42 |  #29

mpix345 wrote in post #17440518 (external link)
What I see are two distinct groups of users in the Classifieds. Group A are serial buyers/sellers and folks who are flipping gear for a profit. They are scanning ebay and other sites for good deals all the time, watching all the deal sites, etc. They know the price range for most common items, and will attempt to buy at the low end of that range and sell at the high end. Group B are the folks who only enter the buy/sell world when they actually want to buy or sell. They don't necessarily do a lot of homework, and don't want to spend a lot of time waiting to find the right deal. When they sell they tend to sometimes think about what they paid for their gear, not what price the market is supporting.

I'm generalizing, of course. Lots of folks don't obsess on used gear prices but still do enough research to price something accordingly. But I think the pricing gap the OP mentions lies somewhere between the two groups I am describing. No harm in that. As others have said, if a price is too high either ignore it or PM the seller offering what you think is reasonable.

hmm, that's interesting. i never really thought about people trying to flip gear from ebay or vice versa. i dunno how much of that really happens though since the net effect would be an increase in price if they always take the low-priced items from the real buyers and post too high prices. but good point--i am sure some of that happens.

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 20, 2015 09:19 |  #30

The problem lies with group C: people who aren't looking to buy anything but want to cause a disruption for a seller and make therefore make themself feel better about being a jerk towards others.

Some of my feedback

sponsored links

6,800 views & 6 likes for this thread
Prices seem crazy
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.