Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,677 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 18, 2015 05:50 |  #586

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17437134 (external link)
its not LOL the a7r/s trumps all over canons high iso DR

Sorry, you are correct. According to DXOMark the A7s does in fact beat the 5D3 for DR at all sensitivities and soundly too. Their data however tells a different story when it comes to the A7R.

http://www.dxomark.com …949_917_795#mea​suretabs-3 (external link)

Gear List

sponsored links
jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 18, 2015 06:57 |  #587

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17437147 (external link)
What does "good high DR in ISO" mean?

Good DR at high ISO

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by jdizzle.

Feb 18, 2015 07:19 as a reply to  @ post 17437063 |  #588

I disagree with the 5D3 having better AF. The D750 was compared to the 5D3 and it had a higher percentage of keepers. ;) I do agree the A7 series bodies are perfect for travel. :)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 18, 2015 07:23 |  #589

The thing is, good DR at high ISO should mean even better DR at low ISO.

After all, if you take read noise out of the equation, you lose 1 stop of DR for every stop of ISO you go up, and you gain 1 stop of DR for every stop of ISO you go down.

Sony/Nikon/Toshiba/Sam​sung/everyone else's sensor is essentially like this - you can shoot at ISO 100 and push to ISO 25600, and essentially suffer no penalty compared with shooting at ISO 25600 in the first place. The sensors are essentially ISO-less. You also have the option of pushing the highlights less than the shadows, so that you get shadow detail without blowing out the highlights.

Canon sensors are different. They hold true to the 'ideal sensor' (like the others) down to around ISO 800, but, below that, the curve deviates significantly from the linear ideal - going from ISO 800 to 400, you gain significantly less than a stop of DR, and even less when you go from 400 to 200, or 200 to 100. This is due to read noise, which becomes much more significant at low ISO, where photon shot noise is minimal.

This is why Canon sensors are great if all you do is shoot at ISO 1600 and up, but suboptimal below that. Even for a wedding photographer, that's a lot of shots you're taking with a less-than-ideal sensor.

Sony, Nikon and the rest can push their high-ISO capabilities as much as they can - every extra stop of performance at high ISO translates into an extra stop of DR at every single ISO level. If they can manage 10 stops at ISO 6400, it would translate to 16 stops at ISO 100. Canon needs to fix their low-ISO problem first, otherwise, no matter how much they improve their high-ISO capability, otherwise they'll just keep on running into the 11-12 stop barrier - just that that barrier will be pushed to a higher and higher level, until you have a sensor that can manage 11-12 stops from ISO 100 all the way to ISO 3200, but no more than that at any level.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,711 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Feb 18, 2015 07:30 |  #590

jdizzle wrote in post #17437227 (external link)
I disagree with the 5D3 having better AF. The D750 was compared to the 5D3 and it had a higher percentage of keepers. ;) I do agree the A7 series bodies are perfect for travel. :)

Topic here is Canon 5DS. There is a forum https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=144 available, please start a new thread there if you need to. Nikon has its own forum, too.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,078 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 18, 2015 12:10 |  #591

I've said previously that I won't be getting the 5DS, but I'm having second thoughts.

The 5DS could be a pretty excellent architectural camera getting the most optical performance out of the TS-Es. Unlike landscapes, architecture is usually not swaying in the wind, so I already bracket all my architectural captures with dependably good results. HDR/exposure fusion/manual-exposure-blending, after all, are simply ways of manufacturing your own DR to compensate for the sensor's shortcomings. Of course architectural subjects frequently have trees/shrubs/flags/etc​. that do flap in the wind, but since they're not the focal point of the image, post-processing ghost-reduction seems adequately effective in my experience.

It appears that the 5DS will make a great studio camera, a good architectural camera (maximizing TS-E performance), and an OK landscape camera. If I had to rely on only one single camera, I don't think I could go with a 5DS. But as I think it through, I'm less troubled by it's DR shortcomings: 1. Not all scenarios (that I want to capture) require more than 12 stops DR, 2. When they do, that's what my a7R is for. I use the same thought process with my lenses. When capturing an architectural subject I prefer better optics and FOV of the TS-E 24mm II (over the TS-E 17mm), but on the occasion when a greater FOV is needed, then the TS-E 17mm is there for that. So, I'm beginning to like the notion of adding a 5DS R as my go-to camera for landscapes and architecture where a 12 EV range DR will suffice, but having the a7R when more DR is required. If the shadow noise performance in the 5DS R is improved over the 5D III, then all the better.

As it is, I already use the 5D III in concert with my a7R. The a7R, with it's 14+ EV DR is terrific, yet I do not, by default, prefer it over the 5D III. I still use both about equally.

Just thinking out loud...in public. :D

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 18, 2015 12:30 |  #592

David Arbogast wrote in post #17437592 (external link)
I've said previously that I won't be getting the 5DS, but I'm having second thoughts.

The 5DS could be a pretty excellent architectural camera getting the most optical performance out of the TS-Es. Unlike landscapes, architecture is usually not swaying in the wind, so I already bracket all my architectural captures with dependably good results. HDR/exposure fusion/manual-exposure-blending, after all, are simply ways of manufacturing your own DR to compensate for the sensor's shortcomings. Of course architectural subjects frequently have trees/shrubs/flags/etc​. that do flap in the wind, but since they're not the focal point of the image, post-processing ghost-reduction seems adequately effective in my experience.

It appears that the 5DS will make a great studio camera, a good architectural camera (maximizing TS-E performance), and an OK landscape camera. If I had to rely on only one single camera, I don't think I could go with a 5DS. But as I think it through, I'm less troubled by it's DR shortcomings: 1. Not all scenarios (that I want to capture) require more than 12 stops DR, 2. When they do, that's what my a7R is for. I use the same thought process with my lenses. When capturing an architectural subject I prefer better optics and FOV of the TS-E 24mm II (over the TS-E 17mm), but on the occasion when a greater FOV is needed, then the TS-E 17mm is there for that. So, I'm beginning to like the notion of adding a 5DS R as my go-to camera for landscapes and architecture where a 12 EV range DR will suffice, but having the a7R when more DR is required. If the shadow noise performance in the 5DS R is improved over the 5D III, then all the better.

As it is, I already use the 5D III in concert with my a7R. The a7R, with it's 14+ EV DR is terrific, yet I do not, by default, prefer it over the 5D III. I still use both about equally.

I'm guessing that in a few weeks or months you'll be switching to another plan i.e. going for the 50MP Sony full-frame E-Mount camera. :-P

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,078 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by David Arbogast.

Feb 18, 2015 12:33 |  #593

jocau wrote in post #17437622 (external link)
I'm guessing that in a few weeks or months you'll be switching to another plan i.e. going for the 50MP Sony full-frame E-Mount camera. :-P

Could be! ;)

I wish Sony would show us their cards already. Would be helpful for planning purposes.

Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 18, 2015 12:44 |  #594

David Arbogast wrote in post #17437623 (external link)
Could be! ;)

I wish Sony would show us their cards already. Would be helpful for planning purposes.

Just be patient. If they repeat their move from last year (they released the A7II 2 months after Photokina), then that 50MP Sony full-frame E-Mount camera will be available in about 2 months from now. And I believe the 5Ds (R) won't be available until June 2015?

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 18, 2015 12:51 |  #595

Instead of boosting the size of the file of more pixels, why not fine tune the pixels you have to get rid of any noise as much as possible within the technology that exists. You notice there is no mention of noise with these cameras? Get rid of the noise and then boost the size of the file.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,078 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by David Arbogast. (2 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2015 13:13 |  #596

jocau wrote in post #17437637 (external link)
Just be patient. If they repeat their move from last year (they released the A7II 2 months after Photokina), then that 50MP Sony full-frame E-Mount camera will be available in about 2 months from now. And I believe the 5Ds (R) won't be available until June 2015?

There are several things in the 5DS specifications that I really like, that probably won't be in the a7R II:

1. Canon's AEB implementation in the 5D III is superb; surely the 5DS will be similar.
2. While we can justly criticize the 5DS' sensor's lack of DR, Canon at least seems to be taking the needs of a high-resolution sensor seriously by engineering the shutter/mirror mechanism to minimize vibrations. Sony seems to have been oblivious to that with the a7R shutter.
3. Love the built-in bulb timer. Wonder if you can do AEB in bulb mode? That would be fantastic.
4. Better integration with my 600EX RTs (I do use a Yongnuo YN E3 RT to control them on my a7R, but of course, but that is somewhat less capable than a Canon ST E3 RT with a Canon camera).
5. No IBIS. I don't know if the a7R II will have IBIS, like the a7 II, but I'm not enthused about that in a camera I will use for tripod work anyway. For the a7R II I would rather Sony do something cool like a fixed curved sensor rather than IBIS.
6. A non-lossy 14-bit raw file. What is Sony thinking?!

Other than price (which will no doubt be considerably lower) and DR, the 5DS R seems more attractive to me at the moment. Patience, as you say, is mandatory as we're still months away from shipping 50MP cameras. I won't be the least bit surprised if Sony doesn't get their 50MP camera on the streets quicker than June. As I thought it would be, this is a very interesting and exciting and painful (for decision-making) year. :)

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 18, 2015 14:28 |  #597

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17437067 (external link)
Even at low ISO, the DR is pooor compared to others.

I am not really talking about every type of dslr user. i am talking about people who spend over 1k for a body. Those people dont pend over 1k for a body only just to take cat pictures.

Most spend that sort of money because they are serious about photography.

DR range doesnt need to be amazing on the cheap DSLR canon rebel series, but for a 3k body?

FFS we expect it to at least be as good as or very close to being as good as the nikon/sony equivalent.

companies like Fuji etc already leap frogging canon in sensor tech...

Okay, we were talking about abc and you are talking about xyz. I'm not even going to bother with that anymore...

Aside from that, you just stated what we already believed and stated in our discussion as well. That this camera that is targeted specifically for a group of people who require DR, it would be stupid for Canon to think of DR as unimportant.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 18, 2015 14:46 |  #598

David Arbogast wrote in post #17437592 (external link)

If you already have a 5d3, a a7r is just best suited to go hand in hand with the 5d3!!!!

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 18, 2015 14:59 |  #599

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17437839 (external link)
If you already have a 5d3, a a7r is just best suited to go hand in hand with the 5d3!!!!

Exactly what I plan to do now, after careful consideration up until this point. It's very convincing from reading all these posts that the a7R is a very good alternative for me as a tripod-landscape shooter, if the 5DR doesn't pass muster.

I can wait for a new Sony model, as well as until a 5D IV is announced, which I think will be in the summer or fall. I will bet money that a new 5D IV will have a 50MP sensor; I wonder if they will put the mirror dampening mechanism in that upgrade. It would be funny if a new Sony came out before the release of the 5DS and SR.Talk about an exciting year.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,078 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 18, 2015 15:12 |  #600

tvphotog wrote in post #17437864 (external link)
Exactly what I plan to do now, after careful consideration up until this point. It's very convincing from reading all these posts that the a7R is a very good alternative for me as a tripod-landscape shooter, if the 5DR doesn't pass muster.

I can wait for a new Sony model, as well as until a 5D IV is announced, which I think will be in the summer or fall. I will bet money that a new 5D IV will have a 50MP sensor; I wonder if they will put the mirror dampening mechanism in that upgrade. It would be funny if a new Sony came out before the release of the 5DS and SR.Talk about an exciting year.

No way the 5D IV will have a 50 MP sensor. I'm guessing it will be +/- 24 MP. If the 5D IV has a 50 MP sensor then the 5DS R is utterly meaningless.

I do think it is very possible Sony may be the first to get a 50 MP camera on the streets.

sponsored links

295,680 views & 241 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.