Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 16 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 02:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any toughts on CrashPlan?

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,655 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 29, 2015 20:49 |  #46

Xyclopx wrote in post #17406379 (external link)
personally though i'd just use crashplan or backblaze. and as a non-cloud offsite just sync to external hds and swap them around with ones at your parents', friends', or work. (that's what i do).

Question, when you swap HDD's doesn't this cause Crashplan to start a fresh backup set, so you loose your version history? This is why I clone my local HDD periodically instead of swapping it out, and then stick the clone HDD in my safety deposit box.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

sponsored links
Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 30, 2015 00:30 |  #47

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17406477 (external link)
Question, when you swap HDD's doesn't this cause Crashplan to start a fresh backup set, so you loose your version history? This is why I clone my local HDD periodically instead of swapping it out, and then stick the clone HDD in my safety deposit box.

sorry, I left out the details. yeah, I don't include the hd's that I swap in crashplan's list of stuff to backup. I basically do what you do--I "clone"/sync my data to various sets of hd's that are not managed by crashplan using a sync'ing program that's separate. I keep those hd's at work where everything is locked down.

I guess while we're at it, the data at home is on 2 RAIDs. media like pictures and videos are on a DAS, to be compatible with LR, and everything else is on a NAS.

So, that's basically my strategy: RAIDs + External HDs + CrashPlan.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

NemethR
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 31, 2015 14:38 |  #48

Xyclopx wrote in post #17403304 (external link)
Been using it for about 2 months and I love it. Here are my notes for you:

[...]

So there you go.

PS--I just noticed you are in Hungary. I am gonna guess Crashplan's servers are in America. Your upload speed might be stupid slow due to your distance, seeing that even in America it's already very slow. But I see you are doing the free trial... what kind of speeds are you seeing?

Hy Xyclopx.

Thank you for all the input, my main problem is not that its uploading slowly, in fact I can max out my Upload bandwidthwith it, as unfortunately where I live, tha max Internet speed is (Not in Hungary, but where I live on the edge of the City).. so the max speed is: 10Mbit/sec down and 1Mbit/sec upload.

I can max that 1Mbit with Crashplan, now if I would like to use my Internet too i have to limit it to 300kbit/sec.
But I mean i back up my most important shoots first, so its not a big deal. I am over with the trial, so thi sis my first paid month.
I got 170 GB uploaded thus far, and my pc runs around 60 hours a week, so not 24/7 :)

Cheers: Roland.

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

Masa ­ Yume
36 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 18, 2015 16:48 as a reply to  @ NemethR's post |  #49

I've been using it primarily from computer to external drive, and soon to switch to computer to network drive off my wireless router. Both options are part of the "free" plan.

At first I wasn't crazy about the proprietary nature of the files that it creates (instead of syncing the drive, it writes the content to a prorpieatery blob), but I also realize that it does take care of encryption and it also sort of alleviates the need for creating alternating backups (a delete isn't really deleted until you compress the data store).

I don't really "trust" the encryption, because it's clear that they have the key (as opposed to your own key), but it's still a degree safer than being unencrypted. If someone stole the drive or managed to get into the data store without getting the key, the content is still safe.

One feature I haven't tried yet is computer to computer backups, which they call backing up to a friend's computer. At first I thought that was a dumb idea, because why would you share your content with a friend? But then I saw that it sends these data blobs, so the data isn't actually useable by the recipient.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 18, 2015 18:02 |  #50

Masa Yume wrote in post #17438054 (external link)
I don't really "trust" the encryption, because it's clear that they have the key (as opposed to your own key), but it's still a degree safer than being unencrypted. If someone stole the drive or managed to get into the data store without getting the key, the content is still safe.

i think this is configurable. they talk about it somewhere. you have the option to own the key, but they warn that means that you could potentially lose access to all your data and they cannot help you out at that point.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,347 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 18, 2015 19:13 |  #51

Xyclopx wrote in post #17438142 (external link)
i think this is configurable. they talk about it somewhere. you have the option to own the key, but they warn that means that you could potentially lose access to all your data and they cannot help you out at that point.

Yep. You add a second password which you alone are responsible for. Don't lose it. I believe this is required by certain government regulations, like HIPPA.

http://support.code42.​com …Security#Archiv​e_Password (external link)

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
422 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 18, 2015 19:42 as a reply to  @ bumpintheroad's post |  #52

This really depends on how you configure it. I believe it keeps your data for 30 days by default including all previous versions. You can change it in your settings menu.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,347 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 18, 2015 21:36 |  #53

bikfoto wrote in post #17438294 (external link)
This really depends on how you configure it. I believe it keeps your data for 30 days by default including all previous versions. You can change it in your settings menu.

By default, deleted files are kept forever.

http://support.code42.​com …st/Backup/Backu​p_Settings (external link)

Crashplan's deep and frequent file history is what I love so much about it. If you tried to do that on your own RAID array, it would cost a ton.

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 10, 2015 21:46 |  #54

Digging into online backups now after getting tired of buying disk drives... hehe.

After investigating Crashplan, really don't like the fact that they only store your data in one location:
http://www.code42.com/​crashplan/features/sec​urity/ (external link)

Your backup is stored in one of our data centers located throughout the US and around the world.

I guess for $6 per month, you can't expect the whole world...

Also found this lengthy/popular blog article (albeit from 2011) regarding about 20 users losing all their data:
http://jeffreydonenfel​d.com …my-entire-backup-archive/ (external link)

Thank you for your patience as we looked into this issue. Unfortunately, I have some bad news regarding your maintenance job. Your backup archive had corrupted data, and the archive could not be properly repaired by archive maintenance in this situation. This is a very rare situation.

Later part of the post, the CEO admitted that there were human errors that was the root cause and that they have put a plan in place to prevent it from happening again:

Human error was a blind spot for Crashplan’s system, and there was no process in place to prevent it.
As of now, there’s a new process to prevent this type of human error from happening again.

But it made me think... with the way that they compress/encrypt into a "proprietary" file, I'm really curious what they have done since 2011 to ensure that they can still, in some way or another, retrieve the original files even if data became corrupt.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

NemethR
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 11, 2015 04:29 as a reply to  @ John's post |  #55

IF data is corrupted, well then not much.

BUT, I do believe, this does not happen often.
And to be honest, for $6, its really not much.

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 11, 2015 10:47 |  #56

John wrote in post #17469650 (external link)
After investigating Crashplan, really don't like the fact that they only store your data in one location:

If you're really concerned, you can backup to another computer for free as well.

For example, you could buy a 4TB external hard drive from Amazon, have it shipped to a friend or relative who lives a distance away from you, install CrashPlan on their computer and set it up so your computer backups to the external drive on their computer.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Xyclopx. (2 edits in all)

Mar 11, 2015 11:44 |  #57

John wrote in post #17469650 (external link)
Digging into online backups now after getting tired of buying disk drives... hehe.

Also found this lengthy/popular blog article (albeit from 2011) regarding about 20 users losing all their data:
http://jeffreydonenfel​d.com …my-entire-backup-archive/ (external link)

Later part of the post, the CEO admitted that there were human errors that was the root cause and that they have put a plan in place to prevent it from happening again:

But it made me think... with the way that they compress/encrypt into a "proprietary" file, I'm really curious what they have done since 2011 to ensure that they can still, in some way or another, retrieve the original files even if data became corrupt.

my opinion: you shouldn't have 100% confidence on any one service to keep your backups. i personally have multiple backups, including crashplan. though it's good to know more, and i'm glad you posted more info, but... $6/month is basically nothing, so i wouldn't spent too much time trying to figure out how good it is, aside from a system resource perspective--that's really the deal killer for some. i say just do it. and backup to many other places at the same time.

put it this way: is it better to have some cloud backup, where there is a small chance it would fail, or... no cloud backup. crashplan's only real competitor is backblaze (all the others mentioned have significant compromises or cost $$$). so if you're not going with either, then you probably won't be doing it at all right?

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,347 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 11, 2015 19:56 |  #58

DGStinner wrote in post #17470261 (external link)
If you're really concerned, you can backup to another computer for free as well.

For example, you could buy a 4TB external hard drive from Amazon, have it shipped to a friend or relative who lives a distance away from you, install CrashPlan on their computer and set it up so your computer backups to the external drive on their computer.

The problem with using Crashplan to backup to a friend's PC or a locally attached hard drive is that you need Crashplan to restore the data. That means you need their client, an Internet connection, a Crashplan account, and their authentications servers to restore. If I'm going to be dependent on all that, I'll just use their servers. (which I do) I prefer that my local backups not be dependent on any 3rd parties when it comes time to restore.

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 12, 2015 15:16 |  #59

Wanted to follow up on this. Testing CrashPlan right now with the 30-day trial, says it'll take 22 days to backup all my RAW files over the years. :)

I did have an issue yesterday when I came home and noticed that the Crashplan app got disconnected from CP Central and for whatever reason, it could not reconnect for about 4.5 hours. Then it reconnected by itself eventually and backup is continuing.

While I'm testing that though, Amazon Glacier may be more of what I'm after:

Amazon Glacier provides a highly durable storage infrastructure designed for long-term data archival storage. It is designed to provide average annual durability of 99.999999999% for an archive. The service redundantly stores data in multiple facilities and on multiple devices within each facility. To increase durability, Amazon Glacier synchronously stores your data across multiple facilities before confirming a successful upload.

Not surprisingly, Glacier can/will cost more depending on the size of your data and how much/often you need to retrieve them.

Keep in mind Crashplan and Glacier have different purposes. I consider a service like Crashplan a good "near-term" backup solution whereas Glacier I consider to be more "long-term" one. The backups I want to put off-site right now is something that I'm confident I won't ever need "immediately" and I'd be fine if it took hours (or even days) to restore.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,655 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 13, 2015 01:28 |  #60

John wrote in post #17472083 (external link)
Wanted to follow up on this. Testing CrashPlan right now with the 30-day trial, says it'll take 22 days to backup all my RAW files over the years. :)

I did have an issue yesterday when I came home and noticed that the Crashplan app got disconnected from CP Central and for whatever reason, it could not reconnect for about 4.5 hours. Then it reconnected by itself eventually and backup is continuing.

While I'm testing that though, Amazon Glacier may be more of what I'm after:

Not surprisingly, Glacier can/will cost more depending on the size of your data and how much/often you need to retrieve them.

Keep in mind Crashplan and Glacier have different purposes. I consider a service like Crashplan a good "near-term" backup solution whereas Glacier I consider to be more "long-term" one. The backups I want to put off-site right now is something that I'm confident I won't ever need "immediately" and I'd be fine if it took hours (or even days) to restore.

Remember that any cloud-based "archival" storage solution is only good for as long as you pay the bill (or the service provider offers the service). The one constant in my 35+ years in IT is that everything eventually changes. Make sure you pay attention to what your service providers are doing (and how their stock is performing) and make sure you have a plan to migrate your data someplace else.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

sponsored links

12,480 views & 7 likes for this thread
Any toughts on CrashPlan?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.