Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 18 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Largest Coast Redwood Trunk ~ New Discovery

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2015 23:23 |  #1

This was not taken to be a print, intitially. One of several discoveries we found last year in Redwood National and State Parks. Largest Coast Redwood trunk as of 2014. We found more, but this is the largest disclosed. If anyone saw the 2009 Nat Geo redwood centerfold, this trunk is even bigger.

The shot below provided a reasonable 20" x 30" print on canvas to hang. One canvas is in Eureka at the Humboldt County Convention and Visitors Bureau and a 2nd canvas at the Hiouchi Cafe up in Del Norte county.

More info at > http://www.mdvaden.com​/redwood_year_discover​y.shtml (external link)

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods2/huge/Redwood_Giant_sample.jpg

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
Jon ­ Clemens
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 19, 2015 09:32 |  #2

It's gigantic. Any guess as to the age? ...without sawing it down, naturally.

Canon 7D | 400L | 70-200L | 24-105L | Tokina 11-16
jonclemensphotography.​com

WannabeTilt
23 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 19, 2015 10:15 |  #3

Fabulous - takes a while even to notice the person standing next to it for scale!

Thanks,

Nick

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,337 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 19, 2015 11:15 |  #4

Wow.

I could make a great sun porch with that. (sorry, I had to)
It's spectacular!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Frank_Hollahan
Goldmember
2,718 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 19, 2015 11:16 |  #5

Holy cow man, now that's a tree. Trees like this one should be protected and allow to live and keep growing.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2015 15:43 |  #6

Jon Clemens wrote in post #17439036 (external link)
It's gigantic. Any guess as to the age? ...without sawing it down, naturally.

Age can't be known pin-point even if it could be cored, but I'm guessing 2500 year range. Another in Redwood National and State Parks called Del Norte titan was estimated by researchers as 2300 years, and its a hint smaller.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 23, 2015 10:11 |  #7

That's a monster! I didn't see how large it was until the person was noticed. wowsers!

My 500PX (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by mdvaden.

Mar 20, 2016 18:10 |  #8

Got another photo last December when one of these two returned north for the holidays. I mainly wanted a few photos for artistic documentary, but decided to try it on a photo book I've been working on this week. Its the cover photo. I also ordered a print on metal to see how that looks.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods/huge/Grogan_KH_AM_12mdv.jpg

tmcman
Goldmember
4,409 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 04, 2016 23:51 |  #9

Amazing scale, yet still a tree.

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Fuji X-T2, 18-55mm, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." Arthur Wesley Dow

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,985 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 04, 2016 23:58 |  #10

Things like this really humble us humans as a species. Our individual time on earth is such a blip on the radar in the overall scheme of things. Such treasures need to be protected vigorously so future generations can also enjoy them. White man has done so much destruction to the natural state of this country in just a few centuries... it's time we pay attention and educate others about the importance of such things. Documenting them is important. I hope you get the chance to visit often.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 07, 2016 23:45 |  #11

The metal print arrived and I think the print canvas gives the impression of more detail. But the colors sure are rich with the metal version.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 27, 2016 10:27 |  #12

Didn't realize it at the time the last photo was taken, but it became the cover for my new redwood adventures photo book.

The one with the two sisters is the book cover. I put the image from the OP on an inside page.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Keith ­ Newton
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 27, 2016 18:11 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #13

Wonderful shots, of those astounding trees. I don't think it is possible to capture with a photograph, the feeling of being in their presence.

I've got the James Baylog book, and admire what he managed to get.

Have you got any vertical panos to share?

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by mdvaden.

Apr 28, 2016 08:39 |  #14

Keith Newton wrote in post #17987352 (external link)
Wonderful shots, of those astounding trees. I don't think it is possible to capture with a photograph, the feeling of being in their presence.

I've got the James Baylog book, and admire what he managed to get.

Have you got any vertical panos to share?

I usually shoot one frame only. Like in the photo of the book with the pages open, on the lower pages, there are three photos. The middle one is "Geisha" redwood shot zoomed from a distance. That one shows the upper 150 to 170 ft. of that redwood.

Done from a tripod with an older digital. When printed 20 x 30, or in a book size, it should be as good or better than any of Balog's stitched redwood photos. Balog had to do his the way he did though, because the redwood he did was blocked on all sides and needed to be done from like 100 ft. away or less.

One of the tallest redwoods, on the following page link was a 4 frame photo composite. It's in the book too.

http://www.mdvaden.com​/redwood_hyperion.shtm​l (external link)

sponsored links

4,809 views & 20 likes for this thread
Largest Coast Redwood Trunk ~ New Discovery
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.