Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 22:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Taking pics from a moving helicopter at night...can i get good shots still you think?

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,809 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 18, 2015 22:42 |  #1

I want to take a helicopter up tonight to the las vegas strip, theyre shutting all the lights off for 3 minutes. They wont hover for me and they have to follow a path due to FAA regulations. My question is would i still get sharp pics you think? i have a 5dmkiii and i would use the 24-70- f2.8II

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 18, 2015 23:49 |  #2

I very much doubt it, but you can try cranking the ISO way up and if the subject is very well lit you might get something. If you can go up in the blue hour you will get better results, but probably still need too long a shutter speed.

amairphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,809 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 19, 2015 01:27 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #3

i went, i tried, ill post results soon!

flickr (external link)

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2013

Feb 19, 2015 01:34 |  #4

Looking forward to seeing how they turned out .... I am guessing they will be okay.

Lupo

amairphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,809 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 19, 2015 03:08 |  #5

More to come, first time doing this so bear that in mind

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7365/15955883104_4072b52732_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qiY5​9Q  (external link) Stratosphere (external link) by amairphoto (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,776 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 19, 2015 07:22 |  #6

That looks pretty good to me!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 19, 2015 10:16 |  #7

Very nice, I'm glad it went well.

amairphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,809 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 19, 2015 14:26 |  #8

thanks guys.

ESPN wanted to use the one picture i took, but they didnt want to pay, yeah itll be nice having my pic over the internet and on tv, im pretty sure i would get no work from it. Do you think i should let them use it?

flickr (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 19, 2015 14:43 |  #9

DonJuanMair wrote in post #17439458 (external link)
thanks guys.

ESPN wanted to use the one picture i took, but they didnt want to pay, yeah itll be nice having my pic over the internet and on tv, im pretty sure i would get no work from it. Do you think i should let them use it?

Personally, I would say no if I were being asked. Yes, it is nice to see my work published / on TV but that is tempered in a case like this by them not wanting to pay. I mean, yes, it feels good that they want to use it, but that is balanced by the fact they don't feel it is good enough to actually PAY for, which kinda kills the buzz. I only get the good buzz when they are happy to pay as well, as it shows they do actually value the image. So, I would tell them they can use it if they are prepared to pay, and you might actually get paid. So many people are happy to give their images free as they just want to see their work on the telly, so the "we can't pay" line is standard practice with many potential purchasers like this, as they know they will usually get it for nothing. When refused though, they can often find some money in the budget after all, if they really want to use the shot. Or they may just find someone else who will give them a similar shot free.

The other issue is that if we all stopped giving our shots away then things would go back to the way it used to be, when they expected to pay, and we can all go back to making a few bucks / quid as amateurs and pros can make a decent living without being beaten to sales by good amateurs working for nothing. Of course this is unlikely to happen, but it is something that stops me just handing out freebies (other than to charities or certain other causes if they ask nicely).

In the end, it is entirely down to how much you want to see your work on the telly. If it will give you a happy warm glow then go for it and give them the shot, it is your shot and you are perfectly at liberty to give it away if you wish and nobody can criticise you for doing so.

amairphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,809 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 19, 2015 14:51 |  #10

yeah thats what i was thinking. I said no to them, sure itll be nice to have my ego stroked and have my image on tv for 5 seconds but screw them. Like you say too many people give them away for free.

flickr (external link)

Nogo
World Record Holding Most Boring Commenter
7,510 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 19, 2015 15:08 as a reply to  @ amairphoto's post |  #11

At least they could offer to pay for the helicopter's fee.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,064 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 19, 2015 15:33 |  #12

DonJuanMair wrote in post #17439498 (external link)
yeah thats what i was thinking. I said no to them, sure itll be nice to have my ego stroked and have my image on tv for 5 seconds but screw them. Like you say too many people give them away for free.

I'm not so sure about the ego being stroked.

When one of my friends (or a family member) would see one of my photos in publication, the first thing they would say to me about it is to ask, "how much did you get paid for that?" When I tell them, if the amount is not impressive, they react very negatively, saying things like, "Why did you let them use it for so little?" or, "You should have gotten a lot more than that." So, instead of having a swollen ego, I felt embarrassed.

The way I see it, there is no good feeling that comes from having one's images used unless one received a payment that was commensurate with the usage. How does being disrespected and used make one's ego feel stroked?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Firehouse
464 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 02, 2015 20:26 |  #13

DonJuanMair wrote in post #17438730 (external link)
More to come, first time doing this so bear that in mind

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qiY5​9Q  (external link) Stratosphere (external link) by amairphoto (external link), on Flickr

Great shot! I will be in Vegas this weekend and want to take a helicopter ride to get some strip shots. What helicopter company did you use? What were your settings? You want to go up Thursday lol! Thanks

--Rich--
Instagram: whitelensphotos

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 02, 2015 20:56 |  #14

Nogo wrote in post #17439524 (external link)
At least they could offer to pay for the helicopter's fee.

x2

You should have told them that you asked the pilot if he would take you up for free and for some reason he said no.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by Echo63.

Mar 03, 2015 12:10 |  #15

So you took a flight, that cost somewhere between $10 (r22) and $50 (big turbine) a minute, tooks some great pics, and are thinking of giving them away ?

Are you crazy ?

If they dont want to pay a reasonable fee - tell them to hire a photographer and a helicopter to do it themselves !

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

sponsored links

4,202 views & 2 likes for this thread
Taking pics from a moving helicopter at night...can i get good shots still you think?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.