Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 16 Feb 2015 (Monday) 21:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Attempt at Youth Wrestling photos

klswenson
39 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by klswenson.

Feb 16, 2015 21:52 |  #1

Feel free to comment!
Note* There was no post processing done to this image.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sfinkernagel
385 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 19, 2015 10:33 |  #2

You have a bit of blur on the foot and hand- not sure it that is a DOF issue, or if it's motion. 1/400 is usually ok for wrestling, but there are moments when things move quickly and you'll get some blur. It seem a touch underexposed too- not much detail in the black shirt.

Wrestling can be tough- gym lights are really not ideal. If it's allowed, I've done well with some fill flash to make things clearer. There are sync speed issues, but again- wrestlers aren't always moving at top speed.

If you can't add some light, then you need to do the impossible- use a faster shutter speed, increase the exposure, and keep a clean photo. If you move your shutter to 1/500, then you have to bump up the iso 1/3 stop just to keep the exposure the same. Ideally, you'd probably end up at 12,800, 1/500 and f2.8... but that may end up grainy.

Faster lens? I've used the 135 f2.0 or the 85 1.8 with good results. That will keep your iso out of the stratosphere...

You did capture a good moment here though- If your the parent of the wrestler in black anyway. ;)

klswenson
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 19, 2015 11:43 as a reply to  @ sfinkernagel's post |  #3

I appreciate the feedback.

I am the parent of the black wrestler!
Glad to hear you have had good results with the 85 1.8 because I just bought that lens this week for this purpose.

Being an athlete in my day I tend to stay away from flash if at all possible but I agree it would make things a bit clearer.

I'll try out the 85 1.8 at the next wrestling tournament to see what I get.

Thank you.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 20, 2015 09:10 as a reply to  @ sfinkernagel's post |  #4

+1 on the 85/1.8 for wrestling The FOV generally works well, and it's fast focusing.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

sfinkernagel
385 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 20, 2015 09:16 |  #5

For a long time, I shot indoor sports with a Rebel and a 40D. f 1.8 was my salvation.

Ultimately, It's nice to have a body that will allow clean shots at 2.8. There are more lens selections, and zooms add some versatility. But- We make the best of things with the tools we have.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,155 views & 0 likes for this thread
Attempt at Youth Wrestling photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.