Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 14:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dealing with repair costs and loss of value

BlazingSkies
109 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by BlazingSkies.

Feb 19, 2015 14:45 |  #1

How do you guys deal with repair costs? I bought a 24mm 1.4L version 1 for $700, and it needs repair which cost $300... so I've spent $1000 on the lens; I could have bought a version 2 for $1100... I'm really annoyed by that fact. What should my mindset be in cases such as these?

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,498 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 19, 2015 14:53 |  #2

Tools are rarely good investments from a $$ resale value standpoint. Most tools have very low resale value.
Lenses are near the top of the curve in this regard.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by sandpiper.

Feb 19, 2015 15:00 |  #3

BlazingSkies wrote in post #17439490 (external link)
How do you guys deal with repair costs? I bought a 24mm 1.4L version 1 for $700, and it needs repair which cost $300... so I've spent $1000 on the lens; I could have bought a version 2 for $1100... I'm really annoyed by that fact. What should my mindset be in cases such as these?

Did you buy it new or used? If new, why not use the warranty or is it out of date? If it is out of date, then you have had some use out of the lens already and even if you had bought a v2 for $1100 that could now need repair and you would then have spent $1400.

If used, that is the risk you take buying used without a warranty.

Anytime you buy a product with sophisticated, complicated engineering you accept the risk that once the warranty runs out you could be liable for repair costs, it's like running a car, sooner or later something is likely to need fixing. My mindset is one of acceptance, I won't be happy about it but repair bills are a fact of life in a technological society. If not the camera gear, then the car, computer, washing machine, mobile phone, boiler etc. This can't be the first thing you have bought that needs fixing or replacing surely. It's just part of life, not a pleasant one but no different to gas and electric bills, tax and so on.

I don't see any other way of looking at it, unless you are paranoid and think that God is out to make you, personally, suffer.

BlazingSkies
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by BlazingSkies.

Feb 19, 2015 15:04 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #4

Thanks for the advice guys.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 20, 2015 12:05 |  #5

BlazingSkies wrote in post #17439490 (external link)

Did it need the repairs when you bought it? In that case, yes I'd be upset. If it was good when you bought it and then something broke, you might have had the same thing happen to the brand new lens, in which case you'd be out $1400 instead of $1000.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,053 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 20, 2015 16:10 |  #6

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17439502 (external link)
Tools are rarely good investments from a $$ resale value standpoint. Most tools have very low resale value.
Lenses are near the top of the curve in this regard.

This is an excellent mindset to have when considering one's photography gear purchases.

Like other tools, you normally assess the condition of the lens when buying used, and the price you pay is typically based on how much wear and tear has been put on the lens. Therefore, if something should go wrong, and necessitate a repair, that cost has already been (to some degree) accounted for by the fact that you paid less for a used lens.

I would like to know more about your situation; did you buy the lens used?

Did you buy it new?

When did you buy the lens?

How much did you use it before the problem came about?

Were there any signs that this problem might happen before it actually did?

What is wrong with the lens?

Is it a problem that you could circumvent by shooting differently?

Or, is it a problem that keeps the lens from being able to be used, no matter how much inconvenience you're willing to deal with (such as having to manually focus for every shot)?

Basically, what's the whole story?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,017 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 20, 2015 19:19 |  #7

there's always a bit of a risk when buying used...sometimes the lens goes bad, and needs a repair, sometimes it lasts for years...if a lens needs a repair, there's really nothing you can do about it...so no use getting upset over it...but after it isn't working correctly, you should look at it as "can you get a 24mm f1.4L for $300 anywhere?" no, so the best thing to do is to repair it as it's also the cheapest way to get back to what you had

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

LARAB
73 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 20, 2015 20:42 |  #8

Fix it and take beautiful photos with it. I'm not trying to be snarky, I have been in that boat. Anger about it will fade faster the sooner you do what you set out to do by buying it in the first place.

sponsored links

1,607 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dealing with repair costs and loss of value
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.