Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 19 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 13:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Worthy t1i upgrade to 70d, 7dmk2, or t6s or 6d?

MISHI
33 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 19, 2015 13:28 |  #1

Hello all been a long time since I've been around...

Now I have had a T1i for the past 5 years and absolutely have loved it. But my major concerns among others is that the high iso (for me from 800-1600) isn't really of the best quality putting it mildly.

So I'm in the process of considering to upgrade however I have to be mindful of prices considering the import and customs duties to Trinidad are ridiculous: A $2200 cam would cost me $1000 more or less to clear unless I can find someone to bring it in... and at a 6.4 exchange rate ($20,000.00 TT) that would be crazy to just make up easily.

Now I usually shoot some events at night and indoors where a higher ISO would be beneficial, but also personally I love to shoot birds and aircraft, so based on that my criteria pretty much are:

1 Better IQ at higher ISO for night or indoor shoots

2 Faster autofocus

3 Something with faster FPS than what I have currently...

4 Want to remain crop body preferably

5 Want SD slot (not too much a fan of CF cards)

Now I know that the general thing is to get better glass for better images and that will be done in time, but for now looking for a body that will help me to increase the limitations... so with that I have been keeping an eye on the 7Dmk2, the 70D, the 6D (only full frame i would consider) and the upcoming T6s

I initially watched the 70D till I read about the focus issue (which sometime in life I would like to get faster L lenses) and though the 7dmk2 and 6d are quite high in the price range, I was considering to start saving for one of them, until I read the T6S is to release and by all looks it seems not too bad on paper.

So my question is which of these would you consider getting which will be a good compromise to what is needed and to be kept for another 5 years or more should I choose to?

Regards,

Raoul.

sponsored links
Lumens
443 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 19, 2015 17:16 |  #2

I believe you already know:

1. For the better ISO performance don't even look at the other two - it's a 6D hands down. I own one and will stick to my guns on that one
2. For Faster AF, FPS, and reach it's the other two hands down. I don't own either one but anybody can read the specs.

I don't know how the 7Dll and 70D handle low light, but that is the trade off. If ISO is the priority then it's a 6D - If the AF, FPS, and reach are the priority then its the 7Dll or the 70D. If you do a lot of video then it's the 70D - If Outdoor sports or wildlife is the activity then it's the 7Dll.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 19, 2015 17:19 |  #3

I have a 70D and the only focus problem I had was my own errors with it coming from a T3. The 7D mkII there are threads about focus issues just like the 70D, I'm sure there are a few of both cameras that are legit issues but I think most are the same problem I had which was the camera locking onto something other than what I wanted it to. I've been extremely happy with the 70D and picked that over the 7D mkII since I couldn't see enough features in the 7D mkII to justify spending the extra grand for them.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

WaterBoy2090
175 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 19, 2015 19:26 |  #4

I recently upgraded from the 550D (T2i) to the 7D2, and am very happy with that decision. I must admit I was worried about potential focus issues, which thankfully haven't occurred.

Instead the AF speed, accuracy, focus point options & low light ability have been a revelation. I've yet to miss focus on 'family' photos, which occurred regularly using just the centre AF point & recomposing on my 550D.

As for high ISO / aircraft / night photography;

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

7D Mark II
10-18 f4.5-5.6 is, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L is II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L is II, TC1.4, & 430EX II

MISHI
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 19, 2015 22:09 |  #5

WaterBoy2090 What was the actual ISO for that shot?

I think what it boils down to in the end is that for any of those cams to buy would be a significant investment and the fear is after spending that kind of money here, to be faced with a potential problem that I'd have to pay to have shipped and pay again to clear if it is to return. As you would imagine that could end up being ridiculously costly if you can't get someone who is traveling from here.

So it is that unknown that has me a bit stumped regarding the 70d at least.

WaterBoy2090
175 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 19, 2015 23:19 as a reply to  @ MISHI's post |  #6

ISO 6400, f2.8 & 1/80th (from memory), using my 70-200mm @200mm. The photo has been cropped too, and run through LR, with about 50 units of noise reduction applied.

(I grabbed the photo from an email a friend of mine had responded too, and posted this from my iPad.)

I can sympathise with your scenario, having read the problems others have experienced; I made sure the retailer is purchased it from was prepared to exchange/ refund if I felt they were issues.

This is an expensive camera, but I feel the features, capabilities and image quality it produces will satisfy me for the foreseeable future.

One noticeable physical difference, compared to your current and other camera choices, is the weight & size of the 7D2. I like it; you might not, so I would suggest physically handling a 7D2 before committing to purchasing one.

7D Mark II
10-18 f4.5-5.6 is, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L is II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L is II, TC1.4, & 430EX II

KevinSch
39 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Feb 19, 2015 23:35 |  #7

At this point in time, I would be inclined to wait and see how the T6S stacks up. If it pans out as a 60D type replacement with newer tech and incremental improvements to the sensor, I think it'll be an attractive crop at a reasonable price point. If it's a disappointment, those older cameras will still be there to shop for.
You'll waited 5 years, a couple more months won't hurt :).

60D | 6D | Canon 24-70 F4L | 70-300L | Canon 50 f1.8 STM | Canon 100 Macro| Canon 35 F2-IS | 430 EXII Speedlight
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/92534040@N08/ (external link)

RMyers
349 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 20, 2015 13:44 |  #8

I recently went from a T1i to a 7dmk2. Faster focus and flexibility in the AF points was my main driver, but high ISO was a secondary. I too, wanted to stay cropped sensor. I am very happy with my choice. That being said, any of those are going to be major upgrades for you and I doubt any will disappoint you. I would be tempted to wait for final specs on the T6s and maybe some reviews then make a choice. Rule out the ones that don't work and let your gut make the final decision. In the end "wanting" is part of the equation too.

Rusty
Austin, TX

sponsored links

3,129 views & 5 likes for this thread
Worthy t1i upgrade to 70d, 7dmk2, or t6s or 6d?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.