Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Dec 2014 (Monday) 03:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Legitimate camera stores in Singapore?

SailorJon
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Dec 15, 2014 03:00 |  #1

Hello everyone, I will be heading to Singapore in a couple weeks and was wondering if anyone knew of any camera stores in Singapore that sell legit products. I have heard of the "IT" stores that sell cheap junk but have not heard much of any that sell good quality products. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thank you.

sponsored links
Lyn2011
581 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 15, 2014 03:38 |  #2

When we were in Singapore we went to Funan digital Mall, North Bridge Road. There are many shops with everything digital from TV's to camera's etc.
I thought it not cheaper than here in Oz. But it is real nice to have a look around there.

vilimo
555 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 15, 2014 12:43 |  #3

Just be wary of what you are buying there. There has been a number of incidents involving tourists buying electronic goods in S'pore and got scammed.

brucea
561 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Dec 15, 2014 15:05 |  #4

My experience shopping in Singapore is that better deals are had in the US (B+H, Adorama) and you get the full US warranty. I found the same in Hong Kong.

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,275 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 15, 2014 15:16 |  #5

I've found in my travels to Asia that camera gear is never usually a great deal compared to the US - even in Japan (Singapore too). Even if you manage to get a marginally better price you're without a warranty once you get it home.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

britinjapan
224 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 15, 2014 15:26 |  #6

Make sure they have stock, and you get a new one. Don't negotiate until you see the new box, and not their only demo model...

Canon 6D, 35mm F2 IS, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 135mm F2L, 24-70 F4L, Tokyo, Japan

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 15, 2014 15:29 |  #7

Can't comment on pricing but Canon Singapore has an official list here.

http://www.canon.com.s​g …eCode=EN&dealer​Type=sales (external link)

Joel

WaterBoy2090
175 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by WaterBoy2090.

Dec 16, 2014 05:00 |  #8

Cathay Photo, across the road from the Funan centre, are very well stocked, and a legitimate Canon dealer. Same with the department stores like Harvey Norman and Courts.

Their pricing however is generally more expensive than US prices, though both Cathay and Harvey Norman have price matched items when I've shown them the US or Australian prices.

The caveat I have to add though, I do have family and friends in Singapore, and their shopping/social networking is impressive! :-D

7D Mark II
10-18 f4.5-5.6 is, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L is II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L is II, TC1.4, & 430EX II

SailorJon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jan 14, 2015 05:50 |  #9

Thanks for all the great input everyone. I will be in Singapore in a few days here and I will definitely try all the places that were mentioned here and I will keep all the great tips in mind before buying anything. :-)

Darshan4EOS
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 14, 2015 17:58 |  #10

You may want to check clubsnap forum which is very popular there and its market watch section will give you all the information you would ever need to buy a photo gear from Singapore, or something from Malaysia. It is generally cheaper to buy photo gear in Malaysia because of no tax but the probability of getting scammed there is higher.

virsago_mk2
600 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by virsago_mk2.

Jan 14, 2015 21:19 |  #11

WaterBoy2090 wrote in post #17335477 (external link)
Cathay Photo, across the road from the Funan centre, are very well stocked, and a legitimate Canon dealer. Same with the department stores like Harvey Norman and Courts.

Their pricing however is generally more expensive than US prices, though both Cathay and Harvey Norman have price matched items when I've shown them the US or Australian prices.

The caveat I have to add though, I do have family and friends in Singapore, and their shopping/social networking is impressive! :-D

+1 for Cathay Photo in Peninsula Plaza.

They've been around since 1959 & their customer service are excellent, especially to long time customers.
Heck even the owner still remembered my father when he bought Pentax 645 in 1985.

Their pricing isn't really competitive compared to Australia, but they seldom gives you a special bargain if you ask for one.

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

Masa ­ Yume
36 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 20, 2015 01:22 |  #12

I've also heard Cathay is the place to go. But in general, I find the purchasing experience in Singapore to be a bit frustrating, as I'm not as accustomed to it. I spend a few weeks a year in Singapore and I've never bought any camera gear there.

First of all, some of the places in certain areas are big on bargaining. I know what I can get a lens for in the US and Japan, and I really don't like spending the time to see what price someone wants in Singapore.

Second, while this hasn't happened to me, I've been warned that there are less than honorable places that quote you a price without the extras (cables/chargers, etc) that are supposed to be included.

Third, the Singapore photographers I know tend to buy their stuff in Hong Kong, which is a sign to me that Singapore isn't going to be price favorable for me.

What I do know is that the used market in Singapore seems to be considerably cheaper than US used markets (ClubSnap forum). But the condition of the gear does need to be looked at very carefully, as it's a humid area and fungus and dry box storage may be a concern.

sponsored links

2,050 views & 0 likes for this thread
Legitimate camera stores in Singapore?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.