Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Feb 2015 (Sunday) 18:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I the only one?

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 19, 2015 13:52 as a reply to  @ post 17439379 |  #91
bannedPermanent ban

Golf in February? Sure! We just use neon orange balls. One of the great benefits of golfing in the snow that you don't have to worry about replacing your divots! :) Down-side? The greens (whites?) are REALLY SLOW!

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,416 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 19, 2015 14:05 |  #92

I love the snow, my only complaint is with the kids! Had to tell one of them to get his shoes on six times.

This stuff we have in central NC is not even snow. It snowed for an hour or two, then started sleeting, then finished up with freezing rain to insure it was a solid 2 inch sheet of impenetrable ice. It does make even a small sledding hill pretty fast, or at least fast enough for six year olds. 19 degrees here now. Low of 2 tonight, this is record setting territory for us. So much so that I think I need to go grab a six pack to celebrate.

I mean the kids ARE at grandmas afterall.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Frodge
Goldmember
3,074 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 19, 2015 14:17 |  #93

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17439379 (external link)
Hey, although I am not in CO, UT, or ME, I am one of those weirdos that like it! For me, the colder the better, as far as outdoor photography is concerned. I just love the look of snow and frost!

Guess you're not doing too much golfing these days.

Where in Maine? My father is a Maine state guide.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 19, 2015 14:36 |  #94

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17439416 (external link)
Golf in February? Sure! We just use neon orange balls. One of the great benefits of golfing in the snow that you don't have to worry about replacing your divots! :) Down-side? The greens (whites?) are REALLY SLOW!

Still golfing here. We had to quit (or wear boots) for a bit in Jan because of the rain.

Sunny and 50-55F most days.

3 feet of snow 300 mi north of us but the Lower Mainland is having a mild winter.

Sorry for your weather!

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,066 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 19, 2015 15:36 |  #95

Frodge wrote in post #17439442 (external link)
Where in Maine? My father is a Maine state guide.

I said I was not in Maine.
I am in Washington state.

Is your dad a hunting guide, or a fishing guide?
If hunting, does he guide for big game, or does he guide for Grouse?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Frodge
Goldmember
3,074 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 19, 2015 16:09 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #96

Mostly hunting, big game. Not as active in it as he once was. I'm a dope, I guess I read your post too quickly.

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by GeoKras1989. (2 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2015 17:13 |  #97
bannedPermanent ban

All this talk of snow and cold put me in the mood to utilize some of the 10 cords of firewood I put up this summer. Soon it will 78 degrees in my house, and its only costing me chain-saw gas money. Well, that and two weeks of intense manual labor. Enjoy. I am. Got marshmallows?

Edit: Lest anyone think an old man is exaggerating. Felled, bucked and stacked by hand. Split with the aid of a 22-ton gas-powered splitter.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,147 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 19, 2015 19:48 |  #98

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17439266 (external link)
I did not view Scott M's advice as critical. He was only making a suggestion that I may enjoy golf better if I had better equipment. My response was only intended to thank him and to explain why that is not the case for me.

That was the intention of my suggestion, so I am glad to read that you understood my intention. If you are happy with your golf equipment, that is great. I was not offended by your response at all.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,066 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 19, 2015 19:48 as a reply to  @ GeoKras1989's post |  #99

10 cords is a serious amount of wood! How much have you used so far this heating season?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by GeoKras1989.

Feb 19, 2015 20:20 |  #100
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17439911 (external link)
10 cords is a serious amount of wood! How much have you used so far this heating season?

Most of it (~7 cords) is for next year and beyond.

I have used about 1/2 of the 3 cords or so that was split for this season. We use LP gas for heat, mostly. We only burn when it is convenient and the highs are staying in the 20s, or lower. Last year I was down to about 1 cord and a pile of white pine that I usually use only for kindling. When the price of LP went from $1.59/gal to over $7/gal., I told my supplier to save it for folks who have no alternative. Which forced me to buy wood in the middle of the winter at $300/cord. But it was still 25% of the cost of using LP at that price. Sooooo..... last winter I got caught with my pants down. Short supply of firewood and $7 LP scared me. I spent most of my free time this summer chasing free firewood. I don't mind doing the work, so I won't pay for firewood. Well, unless it is the middle of winter and LP is $7+/gal.

Luckily, for me anyway, a major storm went through in June. I have neighbors who don't burn who were happy to let me clean up their yards for free. Arborists start a $1,000 a (really large) tree to remove storm damage around here. Less than I mile from my house, I got truckloads of hickory, silver maple, sassafras, wild cherry, elm and oak. I even took 3 good size (60-70') white pines for kindling. I was so happy to get that much free wood so close to home that I cut up all the worthless cottonwood on their property so they could dispose of it themselves. Cottonwood doesn't even make good kindling.

For those non-burners out there, 10 cords of stacked firewood is roughly 35 FULL (tail-draggin' front wheels barely on the ground FULL) full-sized pickup truck loads of tree pieces. My old farm truck worked almost as hard as I did for that wood. Free heat at -10 degrees is worth all the summer-time sweat.

And a tip of the hat to the cardiologist who put me back together so I can still do this stuff. Thanks, doc!

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 19, 2015 20:54 |  #101
bannedPermanent ban

For anyone who cares. For your viewing pleasure is one very old cast-iron Kalamzoo 1902 Wood Stove. It heats a 3,000 square foot tri-level (Brady Bunch) house all by itself. OK, I do have to keep it supplied with wood. Wood that cost me about $10, and a lot of sweat, will heat my house for about 2 weeks. Right now it is a balmy 0 degrees outside. Inside is toasty warm for about 70 cents a day.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,074 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 19, 2015 20:59 |  #102

Nice

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,237 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Feb 19, 2015 21:30 |  #103

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17440018 (external link)
For anyone who cares. For your viewing pleasure is one very old cast-iron Kalamzoo 1902 Wood Stove. It heats a 3,000 square foot tri-level (Brady Bunch) house all by itself. OK, I do have to keep it supplied with wood. Wood that cost me about $10, and a lot of sweat, will heat my house for about 2 weeks. Right now it is a balmy 0 degrees outside. Inside is toasty warm for about 70 cents a day.

Very cool...Or I guess warm would be a better word.;-)a

Mark

Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 20, 2015 07:11 |  #104

MalVeauX wrote in post #17422527 (external link)
Heya,

I'm never oohing and aweing over the new stuff. I don't like the idea of spending $2k, $3k, $4k on something that is only truly marginally better than something else. I want a 6D, but I'm not willing to shell out the money for it yet, because I only want it for it's dynamic range and ISO performance, mainly the ISO performance, but I realistically don't need it right now so I haven't bothered.

In another 5~8 years, I might pick up and "old" 6D or 1D4 at that point.

For now, I'm completely content with my 5Dc and 1D MKII for my primary work horses. I dabble with my EOS-M and other various APS-C's.

Very best,

Whenever I get the urge to upgrade, I go see the 5DC image sample threads and I'm always impressed by the images coming from this so called "old" camera. Doing this immediately puts out the flame to upgrade. If I'm honest with myself and avoid gear lust, there's no reason for me to upgrade my current gear for many years to come.

I think the technology has arrived to the point where improvements will be minor and practically impossible to tell the difference in real world use. Those "differences" become a little more apparent in lab test and 100% cropping of images....but none of that is real world use.

I shoot weddings, family and events and I'm extremely please with the results I get from my current roster of cameras/lenses...I can't see that changing anytime soon !

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 20, 2015 07:29 |  #105

Patbil10 wrote in post #17440457 (external link)

I think the technology has arrived to the point where improvements will be minor and practically impossible to tell the difference in real world use. Those "differences" become a little more apparent in lab test and 100% cropping of images....but none of that is real world use.

+100! ;-)a

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

sponsored links

18,810 views & 10 likes for this thread
Am I the only one?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.