Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 15 Feb 2015 (Sunday) 19:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focus issues with aircraft in flight

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
I just hold the thing :-)
8,498 posts
Gallery: 1802 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 20, 2015 13:55 |  #31

Just an update - i did a factory reset today and reset the camera up and tried the focus out - in 9 point dynamic AF-C mode with release priority set 1000th shutter speed, a sea gull traveling towards me at an angle turned out spot on, and the setting nailed the focus, i tried it out again same settings on a plane coming over quite slow and at only about 10.000ft, again the focus could not lock and the focus confirm brackets were dancing back and forth, when i checked the pic under 100% viewing once again out of focus.

Is it possibly certain colors or textures causing this inconsistent focusing?

P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 20, 2015 14:47 |  #32

Pagman wrote in post #17441066 (external link)
Just an update - i did a factory reset today and reset the camera up and tried the focus out - in 9 point dynamic AF-C mode with release priority set 1000th shutter speed, a sea gull traveling towards me at an angle turned out spot on, and the setting nailed the focus, i tried it out again same settings on a plane coming over quite slow and at only about 10.000ft, again the focus could not lock and the focus confirm brackets were dancing back and forth, when i checked the pic under 100% viewing once again out of focus.

Is it possibly certain colors or textures causing this inconsistent focusing?

P.

Not so much certain colours or textures but insufficient contrast for it to find a good line to focus on can cause problems with focusing. A white plane against a pale grey sky is a low contrast situation, not helped by two miles of atmospheric haze to shoot through.

Are you using single point AF and placing it over the edge of a wing to maximise your chances? Also using a cross point to make sure you aren't using an AF point of the wrong orientation?

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,498 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 20, 2015 15:54 |  #33

sandpiper wrote in post #17441186 (external link)
Not so much certain colours or textures but insufficient contrast for it to find a good line to focus on can cause problems with focusing. A white plane against a pale grey sky is a low contrast situation, not helped by two miles of atmospheric haze to shoot through.

Are you using single point AF and placing it over the edge of a wing to maximise your chances? Also using a cross point to make sure you aren't using an AF point of the wrong orientation?

I used the cluster of 9 cross type sensors at the center of the frame, they had the plane covered and lapped well over it, with bif shots the birds just jumped into focus with no hesitation, but one of the plane shots seemed a real test for the focusing, as i have said before - with my previous D90 even using just the one center cross sensor, nailing focus seemed far more reliable and automatic, i had a far higher hit rate with my older camera over my newer better camera with what is supposed to have a far better more accurate focus system.

P.

Some stuff.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,498 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 20, 2015 19:45 |  #34

This is what i can get with a BIF shot in rubbish weather - i have no complaints here with the focus it snapped into focus like a super fast thing on a fast day:-)

P.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7386/15976587663_a86f1aca22_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qkNb​TZ  (external link) DSC_1474_DxO (external link) by AM.45 (external link), on Flickr

Some stuff.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,187 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 06, 2015 12:49 |  #35

cicopo wrote in post #17436411 (external link)
In general we talk about panning as a side to side thing (a runner, bicycle & rider, or plane passing in front of us. At some point Mode 2 in a Canon lens has to be the wrong setting when we start panning vertical movement or are aiming up into the sky instead of out in front of us. This may or may not have any effect at high shutter speeds & I haven't done any testing (because again I rarely shoot things well up above me) but it's a possible explaination of some problems.

Interesting idea.
I shoot small aerobatic planes at air shows. Shoot them at slow shutter speeds to capture prop blur. They tend to ziz-zag all around the sky. I use mode 2 all the time.
But some times I'm moving my lens in a manner- trying to keep up with that ziz-zagging plane - that mode 2 doesn't support.

Still, my best results come with using mode 2.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

cicopo
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Gallery: 174 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 06, 2015 20:05 |  #36

Well I shoot at some pretty strange angles too when shooting R/C aircraft doing aerobatics & I use mode 2 to do it. That said I've read quite a bit about the different things IS is supposed to do & how it works. I've also just verified the definition of panning related to photography

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Panning_%28came​ra%29 (external link)

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …display/Lens_Ad​vantage_IS (external link)

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,187 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 09, 2015 10:31 as a reply to  @ cicopo's post |  #37

Interesting links, thanks for sharing.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

sponsored links

6,722 views & 1 like for this thread
Focus issues with aircraft in flight
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.