Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Feb 2015 (Sunday) 18:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I the only one?

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 21, 2015 15:35 |  #121

I grew up in Montana and Wyoming.... so I can relate. However, we now live in Florida. We have a few nights below freezing each winter.... just enough to remember water can freeze outside. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links
Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 6 years ago by Pondrader.

Feb 21, 2015 15:46 |  #122

Funny,.....My last trip out to get some stuff to share around here. lol and I burn 17 or so face cord of wood every year to heat the house.

Cant imagine heading out in shorts this time of year.

clock and temp on the dash of the truck

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 21, 2015 15:53 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #123

It is only -31F! :-)

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 21, 2015 16:29 |  #124
bannedPermanent ban

SixDeeFan wrote in post #17442726 (external link)
Sorry, can't relate! We get zero snow and temperatures never drop below 40F here. 70F now...

You and my cousin! He lives in a 'burb of San Diego. I get enough of this from him. :) But, thanks anyway. We are seriously considering moving to Hawaii in a year or so. Two serious down-sides though:

1.) I live on a secluded farm in rural Northern Indiana. This property would be 7 bazillion dollars in Hawaii.
2.) My youngest grandchild is only 5. I don't want to miss him growing up.

We will see.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,886 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 21, 2015 16:42 |  #125

SixDeeFan wrote in post #17442726 (external link)
Sorry, can't relate! We get zero snow and temperatures never drop below 40F here. 70F now...

But, at least you have a Canon service center right in your town! That may, at least in a very small way, help to make up for the fact that you don't get to do any traditional winter photography.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

SixDeeFan
301 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Feb 21, 2015 17:50 |  #126

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17442857 (external link)
But, at least you have a Canon service center right in your town! That may, at least in a very small way, help to make up for the fact that you don't get to do any traditional winter photography.

Very true...less than 3 miles away. Have used it numerous times...drop it off on Monday morning and pick it up usually on Wednesday by end of day...

Canon 90D | Tamron SP 35 f/1.4L DI | Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 DI VC G2 | Tamron SP 24-70 f/2.8 DI VC G2 | Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC G2 | Tamron SP 2X Pro TC | Tamron TAP-in Console

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 22, 2015 01:56 as a reply to  @ post 17422527 |  #127
bannedPermanently

After using a 6D I'd rather cut off my hands than shoot with one. Besides the 5Dm3 will dropped ridiculously in price probably lower than a 6D in time lol.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,886 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring
Post edited over 6 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 22, 2015 09:39 |  #128

merp wrote in post #17443432 (external link)
After using a 6D I'd rather cut off my hands than shoot with one.

Your comment would be more helpful if you could tell us what it is that you did not like about the 6D. What are you using as a primary camera body? In what ways do you find that body better suited to your photography? Answers to these questions could be helpful to the OP and others.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 22, 2015 09:47 |  #129
bannedPermanent ban

merp wrote in post #17443432 (external link)
After using a 6D I'd rather cut off my hands than shoot with one. Besides the 5Dm3 will dropped ridiculously in price probably lower than a 6D in time lol.

I have a 6D and am quite happy with it. But, I am a center-point shooter. I really like that the size, hand-fit, and controls are nearly identical to my 60D. I think the 60D is better at AI-Servo.

Please elaborate on your disdain for the 6D.

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 6 years ago by solepatch.

Feb 22, 2015 11:00 |  #130

I'd put money on them being one of the people that can't make the simple adjustment from using the joystick for choosing the focus point to using the D pad. The 6D thread was full of people who seemed to be violently angry when it was first released who were very upset over this one small feature.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 22, 2015 11:51 |  #131
bannedPermanent ban

solepatch wrote in post #17443894 (external link)
I'd put money on them being one of the people that can't make the simple adjustment from using the joystick for choosing the focus point to using the D pad. The 6D thread was full of people who seemed to be violently angry when it was first released who were very upset over this one small feature.

I remember that. Funny, I had a 5Dc with a joystick. I didn't use the stupid thing because I found the L/R U/D thing easier to maneuver. You get used to what you have. Humans don't like change.

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by jay125.

Feb 22, 2015 14:12 |  #132

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17443981 (external link)
I remember that. Funny, I had a 5Dc with a joystick. I didn't use the stupid thing because I found the L/R U/D thing easier to maneuver. You get used to what you have. Humans don't like change.

I started with the D pad on the 60D so that's all I knew, and I really liked it. When I picked up a 50D as a second body, it took me some time to get used to the joy stick. Honestly I never experienced the "mushy" d pad so many complained about. My experience with the 2 years I owned was great. It was quick, intuitive and I never had a lens that ever needed MFA on it. And my flippy swiveley screen which was guaranteed to snap off never did. I wonder if they will ever add the articulating screen to a 1 or 5D. It really made a difference getting some low angle shots. I'm human and I hate change ;-)a

feedback

gear list

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 22, 2015 15:18 |  #133

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17440896 (external link)
Oh, c'mon! 100" of snow and a whole ocean to push it into? Really? (jk, :) ) North Central Indiana averages 66" of snow every year to Boston's 43". Our record cold snap was, IIRC, 11 days where it never got above ZERO. It's all what you get used to.

I am sure someone from Montana will be along momentarily to tell us they get 66" of snow and subzero temperatures in May!
(They can keep it!)

Come back in July for tales of heat and humidity.

I never have and never will complain about the heat. Back to your original post, my 60D and 6D are keepers, I really have no reason to to ditch them for newer gear. The only way I could see selling the 6D is if the 6DII comes with the flip out screen, I use it a lot on my 60D, but I don't see that happening. Lenses, strobes and camera accessories is another story...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Eel ­ Noob
171 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 22, 2015 16:33 |  #134

jay125 wrote in post #17422644 (external link)
Two bodies I regret selling were my 60D and a really good copy of the 5Dc. But I can honestly say I am completely satisfied with my gear. I need to sell some of it off, since I still have some EF S lenses and the only crop I have is my 1D4 at 1.3, not a 1.6. I realized that the only things I find myself needing (wanting) are accessories.

I regret selling my first 5D. Used a 5D2 for awhile but wanted another 5D so went and got another. But that copy was just not the same like the first.

Just recently upgraded from the 5D to the 6D for better lcd screen, high iso, and auto iso. I thought my first 5D copy was good but this 6D is even better. Don't think I'll need another body upgrade for at least another 5+ years.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,886 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 22, 2015 18:34 |  #135

Eel Noob wrote in post #17444407 (external link)
.......... wanted another 5D so went and got another. But that copy was just not the same like the first.

I thought my first 5D copy was good........

This is interesting. I have read online photography forums for years, and this is the first mention I've ever seen of copy variation in camera bodies. What is it that is different from your first 5D to the next one you got?

sponsored links

20,775 views & 10 likes for this thread
Am I the only one?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.