Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Feb 2015 (Friday) 09:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Convert to DNG or stay with RAW

CoffeedrinkerinNC
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 20, 2015 09:04 |  #1

Thought on converting to DNG in LR5 or keeping the RAW file?

EOS 3, EOS 7D, 17-40/f4, 24-105/f4 IS, 70-200/f4 IS, 50/f1.8, 100/f2

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 20, 2015 10:13 |  #2

Personally I just stay with the RAW files. I understand that there may be some advantages in loading time but not really sure that there is anything else that is advantageous. I know that if you are using an older version that converting to DNG is the only way to use a new camera, but at the moment LR5 is the current version.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,679 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 20, 2015 15:33 |  #3

http://damiensymonds.b​logspot.com …to-dng-or-not-to-dng.html (external link)

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,909 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 20, 2015 16:04 |  #4

I was told the need would arise to convert all my RAW files back when I owned a then current 10D (circa 2003)

Now even though I still sometimes shoot with an even older EOS D60 (circa 2002) I have yet to need to convert a single RAW file to .dng

Despite the sky is falling predictions of the early millennium, all current RAW converters I use will read these oldest cameras' RAW files just fine.

My attitude is that when or if the newest software stops reading these old camera files, THEN I will still have plenty of time to do any possible conversions. In the meantime I have plenty other things to keep my occupied.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,712 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 20, 2015 16:29 |  #5

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17441292 (external link)
I was told the need would arise to convert all my RAW files back when I owned a then current 10D (circa 2003)

Now even though I still sometimes shoot with an even older EOS D60 (circa 2002) I have yet to need to convert a single RAW file to .dng

Despite the sky is falling predictions of the early millennium, all current RAW converters I use will read these oldest cameras' RAW files just fine.

My attitude is that when or if the newest software stops reading these old camera files, THEN I will still have plenty of time to do any possible conversions. In the meantime I have plenty other things to keep my occupied.

Pretty much how I've approached it. If new RAW converters ever move to drop support for older files then I will take the time to convert.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 21, 2015 03:50 |  #6

I take a "sitting on the fence" approach: my working files are .dngs with Quick Load Data and the backups are .CR2s. If you select the option during import to LR to make a second copy to another drive, that copy will always be in the original format.

Elie / אלי

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 21, 2015 03:56 |  #7

Colorblinded wrote in post #17441325 (external link)
If new RAW converters ever move to drop support for older files then I will take the time to convert.

+1 . I am an other one in this club. This also grantees that the conversion will be as current as possible (e.g. transferring as much info as possible into the latest standard format).

Donate if you love POTN

CoffeedrinkerinNC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 21, 2015 04:24 |  #8

From what has been said here and some research, I will stick to saving the RAW files.

EOS 3, EOS 7D, 17-40/f4, 24-105/f4 IS, 70-200/f4 IS, 50/f1.8, 100/f2

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,858 posts
Gallery: 2395 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 21, 2015 22:11 |  #9

I save to my HDD as DNG files from DXO Pro, then i open them this way in Lr4.4 to finish off, they do save as large files 40mb + so i trust they are as good to work with in LR as a Raw would be?

P.

Finally got it right I think - Nikon D7500, Nikon 300 F4 PF, Nikon 1.4 X mk3 TC

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2015 12:37 |  #10

If I happen to use a camera that CS5 raw doesn't work on then I use DNG to convert to CS5 raw type and then process. I refuse to pay to rent anything more than CS5. CS6 got rid of a few good things I really used so if I can't use CS5 I use DNG then CS5 on the converted one.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 22, 2015 14:21 |  #11

One offsite location has RAW, another offsite location has DNG. Onsite I keep both. Each location has jpeg.

Storage is cheap, photos are priceless.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 22, 2015 17:10 |  #12

I convert to DNG on saving from the camera card. The original CR2 gets renamed and then a DNG copy is made. I work with the DNG but can always get back to the CR2 with the same name if needed (VERY seldom). I like that the side care info is in the DNG rather than a separate file.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,231 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 22, 2015 19:15 |  #13

Tom_D wrote in post #17444471 (external link)
I like that the side care info is in the DNG rather than a separate file.

This is the only reason I started converting to DNG upon import instead of keeping things in RAW. When I first started shooting RAW I somehow managed to misplace or dissociate the side-car files from their respective RAW files...all of my editing changes were lost and I was left with the SOOC RAWs. With a good workflow this is 100% avoidable, but it can get confusing when moving files from one location or HDD to another. For me, DNG just makes things more simple.

---------------
5D4, 5D3, Sony ZV-1, Panasonic Lumix FX7, Nikon L35AF, Minolta SRT-102
35Art, 50 f1.8 STM, EF 85 f1.8, EF 16-35L f4, EF 100-400L II
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,107 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 23, 2015 09:30 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17441292 (external link)
...My attitude is that when or if the newest software stops reading these old camera files, THEN I will still have plenty of time to do any possible conversions. In the meantime I have plenty other things to keep my occupied.

Exactly. It appears that Adobe will continue to support the DNG spec and produce a free conversion tool, should the need ever arise to convert your ancient raw files to something else. The problem occurs when you've committed to the DNG-only workflow and the newest raw converter than everyone tells you you should be using does not support DNG fully.

Backing up is probably a lot more important than having two copies in two different file formats.

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

2,962 views & 1 like for this thread
Convert to DNG or stay with RAW
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.