Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 20 Nov 2014 (Thursday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheap Arca-Swiss clamps and plates from China

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,876 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Mike Deep.

Dec 12, 2014 22:22 |  #31

I bought some cheap clamps off eBay for my Tiltalls, which live outside, unmanned. The only issue I had was a slight variance in tolerances on some of the clamps that prevented me from locking down some cheap eBay Arca plates. By moving up to Smith-Victor plates (A whopping $8 each), all the clamps lock fine.

The locking knob is really the only thing that can go wrong here. I tried removing one, but couldn't with any reasonable means.

That said, my personal preferences for daily use are the stock Arca-Swiss clamp on my B1 or the Sunwayfoto DDC-42i, simply because they're smoother and more comfortable to use.

mikedeep.com (external link) - I shoot rocket launches and void warranties

sponsored links
seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 12, 2014 22:39 |  #32

For years and years I purchased RRS equipment.... top quality all the way.

Then I needed an L-plate for the Fuji X-T1 and RRS did not carry that plate, so i bought one from iShoot. Outstanding quality. So good that I bought several other items, nodal slides, etc.

The finish on the RRS plates is very slightly better, but the iShoot is well machined and nicely finished. I plan to buy more iShoot.

—Eric

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
8,522 posts
Gallery: 386 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 22, 2015 15:30 |  #33

A couple weeks ago I received a Chinese monopod head made by Sirui (model L-10). It includes Arca-Swiss-compatible plate TY-60. Gorgeous item, beautifully made, works great.

This is my introduction to the Arca-Swiss system. I'm using it to support my 100-400II and 7DII. It is working very well for me.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

scottsoutter
202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 22, 2015 17:20 |  #34

I have a Sunwayfoto lever clamp attached to a top of an inexpensive ballhead/tripod combination. It's really quite well machined, and feels about as solid as the clamp on my Sirui K-20x ballhead.

5d ii, 17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 35 f/2.0 ze distagon, 50 f/1.4 ze planar, 50 f/1.8, 70-200 f/4 is, 135 f/3.5 sonnar, 420ex, 430ex ii

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 22, 2015 17:55 |  #35

I have a bunch of RRS plates for my long lenses, an L bracket for my 1DX and two RRS ballheads. I recently picked up a 6D and was hunting around for an L bracket. First port of call was RRS, the problem is the shipping cost to Australia. They have two options. Around $80 and you'll get it in a week or pay around $40 and it's 6-8 weeks.

This just isn't worth it IMO, I've informed their customer service dept before that their international shipping options would cause them to miss a lot of oppurtunity to increase their sales.

I ended up going with a Sunwayfoto item on eBay from the UK. It will cost less than half the RRS plate and is supposed to work fine with the RRS lever clamps. If it works out I can't see myself ordering RRS plates again. There's no moving parts or any intricate design so why waste the money?

peter_n
Goldmember
2,436 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 22, 2015 19:24 |  #36

El Pedro wrote in post #17395293 (external link)
I ended up going with a Sunwayfoto item on eBay from the UK. It will cost less than half the RRS plate and is supposed to work fine with the RRS lever clamps.

I have a little Sunwayfoto DP-39 plate on my Rolleiflex and it works well on my RRS lever clamps, no issues at all. The dovetail angle is identical to the RRS angle so you should have no worries.

~Peter

Masa ­ Yume
36 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 22, 2015 22:40 |  #37

I've collected a few cheap arca-swiss compatibles over the years.

I have one in particular where the locking pins fell out. Yes, I could have checked it more carefully but i missed it.

I have ones without a d-ring, so checking the tightness of the screw is something that requires testing every once in a while instead of giving it a quick tug.

I don't like to overtighten the plate, so it's always a bit of a balancing act to make sure it's not too loose either.

None of them are unusable. I still keep them around. But I've also grown used to not trusting them either.

KatManDEW
659 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 18, 2015 13:47 |  #38

Do any of the L plates allow battery access?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,661 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Mar 18, 2015 14:02 |  #39

The Sirui gear is excellent, and I have a Sunway photo lever clamp that I lie a lot.

By the way, Sunway and Desmond are available on Amazon and Sunway is on B&H as well.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 18, 2015 15:40 as a reply to  @ post 17311948 |  #40

I'm willing to spend a bit more for American made, but I'm not willing to empty my wallet for it. Americans still have to be competitive.

I switched to Kirk several years ago and could not be happier. Lately, however, I'm finding myself just not willing to pay their prices anymore unless I can know a significant upgrade in quality from the off-brands. I have bought an off-brand L-bracket for my 6D for 1/3 the price and it seems to be working fine. I just bought an off-brand clamp, though it arrived a couple days ago and I haven't had a chance to check it out, yet.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 18, 2015 19:38 |  #41

KatManDEW wrote in post #17480773 (external link)
Do any of the L plates allow battery access?

I don't know of any that don't. RRS for one goes to great lengths to ensure you have access to every port and door on the camera they design the (base or L) plate for. Now, if you buy a generic "one size fits all" plate, all bets are off, since not all cameras have doors/ports the same place.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

KatManDEW
659 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 19, 2015 07:16 |  #42

Jon wrote in post #17481252 (external link)
I don't know of any that don't. RRS for one goes to great lengths to ensure you have access to every port and door on the camera they design the (base or L) plate for. Now, if you buy a generic "one size fits all" plate, all bets are off, since not all cameras have doors/ports the same place.

Great! Thanks for the info.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 19, 2015 10:27 |  #43

Jon wrote in post #17481252 (external link)

Leica M240 one doesn't - sort of.

It replaces the stock baseplate, and like the baseplate it has to be removed every time to access the battery or card (still a quicker process than removing a QR plate then the baseplate - and one less thing to drop and lose too)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 19, 2015 19:37 as a reply to  @ Echo63's post |  #44

Well, that's the camera's fault, wouldn't you agree? The camera design requires you to remove the baseplate to change the battery; there's not a lot short of a hinged and locking A-S plate that could alleviate that situation. And the price for that would give even a Leicanatic pause.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 19, 2015 20:38 |  #45

Jon wrote in post #17482812 (external link)
Well, that's the camera's fault, wouldn't you agree? The camera design requires you to remove the baseplate to change the battery; there's not a lot short of a hinged and locking A-S plate that could alleviate that situation. And the price for that would give even a Leicanatic pause.

You are correct - its the camera designs fault, not RRS
Was just pointing out one that doesnt allow battery access.

Its on my list of things to buy - when the aussie dollar improves a bit

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

sponsored links

14,128 views & 3 likes for this thread
Cheap Arca-Swiss clamps and plates from China
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.