Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 22 Feb 2015 (Sunday) 08:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First attempt at portraits

gholleman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 22, 2015 22:27 as a reply to  @ post 17444834 |  #16

Thanks for the advice. I didn't have a lot time to play with the light placement, the shoot was done last minute as a favor for a friend, so I was flying by the seat of my pants so to say. Hope to get some more time in with the equipment.

sponsored links
nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 23, 2015 22:55 |  #17

gholleman wrote in post #17444951 (external link)
I used a single speedlight in a Westcott 26'' rapid box. The subject was 6' from the backdrop and the camera and light were 6 to 8 feet from the subject. The light was positioned about seven feet high and angled slightly downward. The light stand was placed just to my left and behind me.

for a first attempt these are great.

My advice: next time get the light up higher (coming down at 45 degress or so) and, especially for men, off to the side to unbalance the light side to side (personal taste). You might then need to put a reflector under the woman to ease the shadow under the chin and soften up the light a touch. google "clam shell lighting"

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,650 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 23, 2015 23:56 |  #18

Wow! Nevermind that it's your first attempt, these are very nicely done. Good pose, good lighting, good expression, perhaps a tad too sharp for the woman.

To take your portraits to the next level, you might try:

• Turn the subject a little more away from the camera and have them drop their near shoulder a bit. Even more so with women as it helps narrow the shoulders.
  • Have the subject stretch his/her head towards the camera, e.g., without changing any angles, just move their chin and forehead closer. This will help smooth out the neck and accentuate the jawline, particularly in photo #1
  • I would open up the lens more and/or move the background further away to soften it up some more.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

gholleman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by gholleman.

Feb 24, 2015 06:15 |  #19

Thanks for the advice, very helpful.

What is the best way or angle to position the subject in relation to the camera. I struggled with this a lot trying to get these shots, some the back shoulder looked to far back and some looked to squared up, making the subjects look really wide.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,650 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 24, 2015 21:09 |  #20

45 degrees is pretty standard, but unless you're shooting corporate or cookie-cutter yearbook portraits, you'll want to experiment with the angle. Women usually are at more of an angle to slim their body. With men you want a more broad-shouldered look so I normally shoot them flatter to the camera. The shoulder nearest to the camera should be dropped as you increase the angle or else it tends to look unattractively large. Find yourself some patient models and experiment with the angle to learn how it affects the result. Once you understand how it works you will easily decide how to pose any specific body type.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

trangelo
76 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 24, 2015 22:10 |  #21

great shots. i attempted some portraits over the weekend myself.

sponsored links

3,248 views & 4 likes for this thread
First attempt at portraits
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.