Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 06 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Weird BABY posing Question??????

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by mannetti21.

Feb 13, 2015 15:15 |  #16

I just got home from a newborn shoot today (I was not the photog) and I was in awe throughout the process. The thought of getting my toes wet with newborn photography had crossed my mind in the past, but that thought was wiped clean today. There is A LOT of work involved...making sure the baby is warm, keeping he/she asleep, dealing with poop/pee, trying to soothe a crying, hungry baby, and safely handling a floppy head and body. We requested this "hands under the chin" pose and it took easily 15-20mins of posing, with an assistant's help, to pull it off. It is going to be a composite top/bottom image. First the assistant would support the chin and hands, and then she supported the head from above. Even with two people and a good amount of experience, it was no small task and definitely requires the baby's cooperation.

Luckily she got the shot just before the baby made a mess on the props. My wife and I are pretty laid-back, but I can't even imagine a photog doing what they did today while a bossy, uptight, or micro-managing parent is constantly looking over your shoulder. A few things that seemed to work well was having a sound machine, portable heat fan, a pacifier, cloth gloves to avoid touching the baby with cold hands, and "the touch". Our photographer was a mother of 3 and very good at calming the baby and overall just being so slow and gentle with repositioning.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,871 posts
Gallery: 1286 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 23, 2015 02:52 |  #17

Heya,

There's the composite approach. There's the hold them and release then quickly snap a photo approach.

Or you can just go for natural placement and the newborn will generally keep it for you so long as you support their head. Any pose will work if you just support their head.

Did my own daughter, no composites, just left her comfy and supported her head with her own limbs.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7336/13450087633_4af7e78f26_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/muxd​sD  (external link) IMG_2996 (external link) by Mwise1023 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/13449966105_d70c9fec3d_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/muwA​kk  (external link) IMG_3009 (external link) by Mwise1023 (external link), on Flickr

The key is doing it at the right time, when they're so sleepy nothing will wake them. And of course, this only occurs at a certain age. So you only get a small window to do it.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

chrisa
997 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 23, 2015 19:47 |  #18

I've done the hands under the chin pose for friends that requested it. Can be pretty nerve wracking, already have the heat kranked up to make the baby comfortable. I'm usually sweating pretty good by the time the shoot is over. I end up with semi hands under the chin pose most of the time.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rebelution
662 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 24, 2015 00:56 |  #19

Thanks for posting everyone! Great shots! I'm going to have to borrow some of these pose once the lil one arrives! :)

Gear & Feedback

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

8,572 views & 2 likes for this thread
Weird BABY posing Question??????
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.