Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 23 Feb 2015 (Monday) 01:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Film, Movies and TV as photographers do you find youself picking scenes apart?

Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 23, 2015 01:32 |  #1

I'm wondering if its just me who has started to really evauluate why a filmmaker chose the shots they did or not. ever since picking up photography I've evaluated the techniques and composition etc filmmakers choose. And in some cases I will take cues from the movies and apply it where applicable in my own photography. Though I have found this can sometimes draw me out of the movie. I just wondered if any of you do this and if there are any directors/cinematograp​hers styles you've emulated and why.

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,507 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 23, 2015 10:07 |  #2

I notice the composition and lighting in many shots exactly as you say. Usually, I'm thinking either that the shot is beautifully set up, like a painting, or that identifiable choices were made to help it contribute to the storytelling.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Ilovetheleafs
THREAD ­ STARTER
907 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 24, 2015 02:29 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #3

I find the same.Sometimes I question why a given shot was selected but very rarely. Though anytime I watch a Sergio Leone film I just love every shot and get drawn in. Same with David Fincher. Who are some of your favourites?

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

MichiTimm
836 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 24, 2015 03:56 |  #4

Up until a couple days ago I probably would've said no. Then I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel. I could barely pay attention to what was going on in The Grand Budapest Hotel because the composition of every single shot was so pleasing to me. I enjoyed the crap out of that movie, and yet I think I could enjoy it just as much even if there was no sound. I want to watch it again just to SEE it again.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,507 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 24, 2015 12:33 |  #5

Ilovetheleafs wrote in post #17446950 (external link)
I find the same. . . . Who are some of your favourites?

I can't say, because I'm not that much of a film buff. Maybe John Ford, but that goes back to early days. I habitually noticed composition of shots during a long span of years when I wasn't taking pictures. Now, of course, I have more reason to.

After I saw The Imitation Game, I understood how good its cinematography was. It was so good that I didn't give it a thought until the film was over. It was completely transparent. There were no self-consciously artistic shots that drew my attention away from the action to admire them.

In The Grand Budapest Hotel, as Michi Timm posted, it's good in the opposite way. Scenes are set up as visual artworks. The actors' movements against the backgrounds are tightly choreographed. This film would lose a lot if it were photographed using the ordinary techniques for showing someone walking, instead of having characters march left and march right in a symmetrical setting when they wanted to go somewhere. It's a little like a puppet show in a box.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 24, 2015 12:54 |  #6

Absolutely, I went to school for broadcast/film production so I can't help but analyze every little detail of every film or television show I watch, but I have been doing the same thing to a lesser extent since I started to practice photography.

I had a few classes where we specifically went through scenes shot by shot. We looked at composition, camera movement, lighting, sound design, costuming & makeup, set design and a lot more. At first I would find it drawing me out of the story of the movie, but as I grew more proficient at it I found that I was able to follow the story and enjoy the technical side of things at the same time.

A friend once told me that I was crazy when we were arguing over what the best show on television is currently, and I claimed that it was the walking dead partially because they played crickets and secadas in the background during the majority of their scenes.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

Ilovetheleafs
THREAD ­ STARTER
907 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 25, 2015 04:14 as a reply to  @ solepatch's post |  #7

We've studied in similar fields. I'm a journalism graduate and am presently a radio and TV broadcast student taking the documentary class has been awesome so far as a real documentarian is teaching us.

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 25, 2015 10:00 |  #8

Ilovetheleafs wrote in post #17448810 (external link)
We've studied in similar fields. I'm a journalism graduate and am presently a radio and TV broadcast student taking the documentary class has been awesome so far as a real documentarian is teaching us.

That's awesome! It's an exciting field, if you're still in school take a graphic design course or two while your there. I graduated 2 years ago and every interview I did before I found my current position asked about my graphic design abilities and specifically my capabilities with Adobe Illustrator.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N

Ilovetheleafs
THREAD ­ STARTER
907 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 26, 2015 00:32 |  #9

solepatch wrote in post #17449110 (external link)
That's awesome! It's an exciting field, if you're still in school take a graphic design course or two while your there. I graduated 2 years ago and every interview I did before I found my current position asked about my graphic design abilities and specifically my capabilities with Adobe Illustrator.

Thanks for the advice I will try to take one. If I can't at college then I'll take it at university when I take communications.

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 26, 2015 07:45 |  #10

Ilovetheleafs wrote in post #17450329 (external link)
Thanks for the advice I will try to take one. If I can't at college then I'll take it at university when I take communications.

No problem. I hope it helps. I ended up having to teach myself Illustrator and a lot of graphic design principles when I got on here, and I have the feeling it would have been much the same at any of the other places I interviewed.

Aaron

Ilovetheleafs
THREAD ­ STARTER
907 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 27, 2015 00:40 as a reply to  @ solepatch's post |  #11

Anywhere you went for Illustrator tutorials?

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 28, 2015 00:59 |  #12

Ilovetheleafs wrote in post #17451879 (external link)
Anywhere you went for Illustrator tutorials?

I used a bunch of Lynda videos when I had just started. I used Lynda and anything else I could find through google when I started. When I hit a wall with that I asked my web design professors for help and they were always happy to look over anything I wanted to publish, so that helped.

Illustrator isn't hard to use if you are familiar with photoshop, and the basic principles of design are not that different from the basic principles of photography, so if you can grasp one you can usually grasp the other.

Aaron

sponsored links

1,366 views & 1 like for this thread
Film, Movies and TV as photographers do you find youself picking scenes apart?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.