Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 24 Feb 2015 (Tuesday) 02:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Carry on Baggage Southwest Airlines

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 24, 2015 02:41 |  #1

In April I will be flying from Louisville to Las Vegas nonstop. I haven't flown since 2009 so I am not sure how this is going to work out exactly. I never check my luggage and always do carry on instead. My camera and gear is all in a Canon backpack which I will also throw my tablet in there too. and wouldn't have room for clothes so I want to take a regular carry on bag with my clothes. would the backpack count as the personal-type items since I know before when I few it was ok to put it under my seat. below is off of Sothwest's site about carry on items. If not I'm going to see if I can find luggage that is as close to their 10-16-24 size and see if I can fit my clothes and my camera bag inside the one.

Per TSA regulations, carryon items are limited to one bag plus one small, personal item.
Personal-type items include purses, briefcases, cameras, food containers, or laptops (case included). Pet carriers are considered either a personal item or a carryon item.
Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10 x 16 x 24 inches.
All Customers and Employees and their items are subject to a thorough, physical search.
The following items are not considered carryon bags or personal-type items and are not counted against the "one-bag plus one personal-type item" limit:
A child restraint device for a ticketed child with a reserved seat or when complimentary, available space exists.
Assistive/mobility devices for individuals with a disability. There is no limit to the number of assistive/mobility devices a Customer can bring onboard the aircraft.
Outer garments or other wearable articles of clothing.
Food for consumption during flight contained in disposable packaging.
Walking canes or umbrellas.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

sponsored links
dfdpiper
249 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2010
Location: Geographically I'm in Southern NH, but spiritually & creatively I'm still wandering.

Feb 24, 2015 11:30 |  #2

I've flown Southwest many times in the last few years and had my regular carry on luggage (clothes & regular travel items) stowed in the overhead and my camera bag under the seat in front of me. I've used both backpacks and shoulder bags for the camera gear. Both ThinkTank Streewalker Pro and Urban Disguise 70, which I believe are slightly bigger overall than the Canon backpack.

Never had an issue.

Bob
If it isn't fun, why bother?
flickr (external link) http://www.bobpragoff.​com (external link)

jhartley
THREAD ­ STARTER
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 24, 2015 14:40 as a reply to  @ dfdpiper's post |  #3

that's great to hear, makes me feel much better.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

dfdpiper
249 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2010
Location: Geographically I'm in Southern NH, but spiritually & creatively I'm still wandering.
Post edited over 4 years ago by dfdpiper.

Feb 25, 2015 07:12 |  #4

You should always double check with the airlines, but from what I've found their general rule is that carry on luggage cannot be too big for the overheads and "small personal items" must be stowable under the seat in front of you.

Another thing I always do is to put my toiletry kit (meds, toothpaste, etc.) into my camera bag. This way, if something with your main luggage does go awry, your important stuff is with you. Keep it small & stuffable & you should be good to go.

Have fun in Vegas. We used to go quite regularly but haven't been in a few years.

Bob
If it isn't fun, why bother?
flickr (external link) http://www.bobpragoff.​com (external link)

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 25, 2015 07:24 |  #5

jhartley wrote in post #17446962 (external link)
In April I will be flying from Louisville to Las Vegas nonstop. I haven't flown since 2009 so I am not sure how this is going to work out exactly. I never check my luggage and always do carry on instead. My camera and gear is all in a Canon backpack which I will also throw my tablet in there too. and wouldn't have room for clothes so I want to take a regular carry on bag with my clothes. would the backpack count as the personal-type items since I know before when I few it was ok to put it under my seat. below is off of Sothwest's site about carry on items. If not I'm going to see if I can find luggage that is as close to their 10-16-24 size and see if I can fit my clothes and my camera bag inside the one.

Per TSA regulations, carryon items are limited to one bag plus one small, personal item.
Personal-type items include purses, briefcases, cameras, food containers, or laptops (case included). Pet carriers are considered either a personal item or a carryon item.
Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10 x 16 x 24 inches.
All Customers and Employees and their items are subject to a thorough, physical search.
The following items are not considered carryon bags or personal-type items and are not counted against the "one-bag plus one personal-type item" limit:
A child restraint device for a ticketed child with a reserved seat or when complimentary, available space exists.
Assistive/mobility devices for individuals with a disability. There is no limit to the number of assistive/mobility devices a Customer can bring onboard the aircraft.
Outer garments or other wearable articles of clothing.
Food for consumption during flight contained in disposable packaging.
Walking canes or umbrellas.

You are allowed one carry on and one personal item. I use a Gura Gear Bataflae 32L and a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 70 pro v2 ( the largest in that line ) and use a foldable luggage cart. I have never had a problem. The cart and Gura gear go in th overhead compartment with the small foldable cart and the ThinkTank goes under my seat. I pack my tripod and and battery packs and flashes. Works perfect. I pack a light empty purse and travel with my wallet in my ThinkTank bag.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2015 15:48 |  #6

As long as you know it will fit under the seat you "SHOULD" be fine. I just traveled back from PHX 2 weeks ago and going we had no problem, coming home, they made my daughter carry her bag vs me having it on top of my carry on. Guess it all depends on their mood that day. My backpack was rather full put I got it under the seat.

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 27, 2015 15:53 |  #7

I have flown on Southwest several times in the last few years and had a rolling carry on bag that I put in the overhead and then a think tank retrospective 20 with all my camera gear that I put under the seat and I have never had any issues.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,631 posts
Gallery: 390 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Feb 27, 2015 17:02 |  #8

I travel with a standard rollaboard carry-on that goes into the overhead compartment (but could go under the seat) plus a laptop bag as personal item. This is a very common configuration for business travelers (but equally useful for fun travel IMO).

I don't check any luggage.

The personal item holds a lot - laptop, 7D2 body, 100-400 lens, a couple more lenses, SL1 body, bottle of water, travel docs, reading material. The rollaboard holds clothing, toiletries, lens hoods (2 or 3 nested), gadgets (incl GPS and various chargers) and more.

I'm well within size limits for my stuff but usually way over the weight limit. This is risky, because sometimes they will weigh them. So it is necessary to take some steps. Always check in online so you can go straight to security and avoid the airline people. In case they weigh at the gate or force a gate check because it's a small plane, be prepared to remove precious or fragile items from it, and pack a plastic grocery bag to put it in. The problem is that sometimes they drop the bags while loading them on the plane.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links

1,871 views & 0 likes for this thread
Carry on Baggage Southwest Airlines
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.