Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 24 Feb 2015 (Tuesday) 10:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Attempt at Senior Portraits (C/C Welcome)

Sumoto
198 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 24, 2015 10:45 |  #1

I've been away from photography for the last couple years so I'm having to knock off the rust so I can get my daughter's senior portraits done for her announcements next month. I tried to keep it simple so I stuck with golden hour lighting and a large reflector for fill. Feel free to give input on this first round of shots. BTW, locations were in the north lake tahoe area. Thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
Sumoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 24, 2015 10:46 |  #2

Last one

HOSTED PHOTO

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 24, 2015 19:46 |  #3

1 and 2 are pretty good.

Based on the nose shadow in #3 I'd say it was not yet golden hour. Push till later in the day (just the hour before sundown through sundown) and shots will be a more balanced exposure. And you won't get the squint that is in #3.

Your daughter is lovely and a good reason to pick the camera back up! Welcome back the hobby and keep shooting!

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

Sumoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 24, 2015 23:03 as a reply to  @ nes_matt's post |  #4

Thanks Matt! Yes that third shot was the first of the locations which had to be done before I lost my light due to the high tree line. My least favorite as well but it was one of the few usable from that location. I've got one other from same set as #3 which I will post tonight to get final comments.

Sumoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Sumoto.

Feb 25, 2015 15:28 as a reply to  @ Sumoto's post |  #5

Here's the last one as promised. I like this one better (after I clone out the bra strap) but the wife has a death grip on #3.:rolleyes:
You be the judge.

HOSTED PHOTO

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,400 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 25, 2015 15:33 |  #6

Avoid direct sun on any part of the face, shoulders etc. Best is to put the subject in some sort of shade. #1 is the best in that regard but you need lot more fill. Move the reflector closer to the subject. Don't put direct sun on face, feather the reflector.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,650 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 25, 2015 20:57 |  #7

GeeMack wrote in post #17450076 (external link)
Thanks Elv

Focus looks to be on point, great attitude and smiles in the pics.
I agree with the other members above.. Also watch out for grass reflection on harsh light.. noticeable on 1you can probably fix in PS..

I like 1,2 and 4.. Keep up the good work..

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

Sumoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 25, 2015 23:02 |  #8

All good stuff! Thanks gentlemen.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,650 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 25, 2015 23:36 |  #9

#1 looks noisy, like you underexposed and had to pull the subject up several stops, and the model is still underexposed. Also you've got some green tinge form light reflected off the grass. Some of the spots (pollen, bugs?) are so sharp they are a distraction. The dark background, bright foreground and underexposed subject create a very difficult overall image to work around. I would tighten the crop on this, maybe change ratio to 4x5, and offset the subject to the left side of the frame.

#2 I don't like at all. There's some shots where leaning backwards with the model's neck extended and curved back work, but this one goes to far IMHO. Also the smile is too big and the eyes too squinted. I do like the lighting on her face, highlighting of the hair and the creamy background. But then the direct sunlight on her arm, shoulders, neck and body is a bit much.

#3 is pretty good, but the model's skin looks plastic, like it's been overprocessed or maybe is out of focus? Unfortunately the light is very harsh and she looks pasted on to the background. The photo also seems a bit unbalanced, I would chop off the right side and also do this 4x5 ratio.

#4 I also think this is the best of the bunch. Pleasant smile, good expression, sharp, good crop. Except for the direct sunlight on the model's face, shoulder and breast, I would call this one perfect.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

tabi_24
147 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 11, 2015 09:32 |  #10

These are great. I really like #1 and #2. Sun looks a bit strong in #3 but works well with #4

http://www.foreverafte​rphotography.net
http://www.tabithaspho​tography.webs.com
Cameras: Canon 5D Mark ii, Canon 7D, Canon EOS Rebel T2i
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f 2.8L IS, 24-105 L f4, Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f4

c ­ eless
60 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 11, 2015 10:47 |  #11

Wow. Each photo has some very good points and some not so good.

#1 Love the expression but not the dots(bugs?). The sharp ones are distracting and the others look like some sort of water spots.

#2 Love everything about this one. Probably wont work for an announcement but would be perfect as part of an album. I would love to have a photo like this of my daughter. She looks so happy.

#3 Mom is right. Aside from the harsh light your daughter looks great in this one.

#4 This one is not bad but the highlight on her nose and her expression make this a runner-up to #3. Not saying expression is bad, just not as good as #3.

sponsored links

2,472 views & 0 likes for this thread
Attempt at Senior Portraits (C/C Welcome)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.