Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 02:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photos in sale ads

clarnibass
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 25, 2015 02:15 |  #1

Hi

I almost never sell stuff, but I just sold my old camera and a couple of lenses. I took photos but edited them a little to make the background white, etc. like regular studio photos. I think it's good or maybe doesn't matter for camera equipment ads.

Yesterday I took some photos of my lathe and accessories and also edited them with a white backgrdound. Then I thought, maybe it is "too good". It kind of loses this "homey" atmosphere of a second hand product, almost making it look like a new product. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not...

So I'm wondering what others think? Would you prefer to see "better" photos or "homey" photos for a second hand product? Especially non-photography related products.

www.nitailevi.com (external link)

sponsored links
jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 25, 2015 07:05 |  #2

I wouldn't care either way so long as the item itself is accurately represented and is the actual item being sold and not a stock photo of the same make/model. If the white background better shows it, then perhaps I do have a preference.

--
John

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by groundloop.

Feb 25, 2015 08:05 |  #3

I don't believe it matters. As mentioned, the only thing I'd care about is if it's an honest representation of the item being sold.

I do believe that several really good photos can help sell an item. I see horrible cell-phone photos on craigslist all the time, they leave a lot to be desired as far as giving a good idea of the condition of what's being sold. Last year I sold a boat on craigslist, I posted it one evening and it was sold for my asking price the next day. I like to believe that including an ample amount of good quality photos helped sell it.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,256 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 25, 2015 08:10 |  #4

I think slick and glossy sort of indicated edited. Buying used, you want to give the impression that the photo is accurate so even though the slick one may be, it screams photoshopped.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 25, 2015 08:36 |  #5

I'm selling a phone on ebay right now and have been asked if I have any photos of the actual phone. If I could go back I'd have just set it on top of a magazine and taken the photo with some window light, but at the time I was wanting to work on product photography.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

DigiBill
258 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

Feb 25, 2015 09:23 |  #6

How the picture looks matters to me. Recently I have been searching ads for a Honda Goldwing Trike. When I view the picture I look at the background to get an idea about the owner. When I see disorganized trash in the background, this indicates to me there is a good chance the item for sale was not treated with care.

I like to see the "homey" for better or worse. If I want to see the "better" picture I can always Google the manufactures website.

Just my thoughts.

Please feel free to visit our RV Website
http://rv.billdiana.co​mexternal link

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 25, 2015 09:58 |  #7

Really depends on the product being sold.

My first-hand experience has been that when you post white-background, studio-style photos of your product, casual buyers will assume it's a manufacturer's photo and NOT the photo of your actual item being sold. On three different occasions, I have gotten requests to "send photos of the actual item."

Take good, clear photos without distracting background crap, but make sure that they don't look like manufacturer or stock photos.

For Craigslist junk, I just take photos with my cell phone. For a high-dollar item like a car I would maybe put more effort into it.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 25, 2015 09:58 |  #8

DigiBill wrote in post #17449063 (external link)
How the picture looks matters to me. Recently I have been searching ads for a Honda Goldwing Trike. When I view the picture I look at the background to get an idea about the owner. When I see disorganized trash in the background, this indicates to me there is a good chance the item for sale was not treated with care.

Never thought about that...good idea!

feedback

gear list

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by TooManyShots.

Feb 25, 2015 11:34 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I sell tons of stuff here and on Ebay. It is always a deciding point of the sales, to have good looking photos. Photos that could entice buyers even if your asking price is a bit more than the lowest ones. Yes, it is used but people do not want to buy junks. If your items are small, use a longer lens and off camera flash. Use a white wall in your home if you have them.

I just sold this lens this morning (on Ebay) for more than here as well as on the Ebay average price. It has been on Ebay for 2 weeks and with over 7 watch lists. The condition is very good comparing to others. Of course, I thoroughly cleansed this lens and including the rubber grips.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,698 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 25, 2015 15:08 |  #10

clarnibass wrote in post #17448719 (external link)
So I'm wondering what others think? Would you prefer to see "better" photos or "homey" photos for a second hand product? Especially non-photography related products.

I have a bit of experience with the same type of thing.

My wife wanted to sell a couple pairs of old shoes that were still in good shape - on facebook or ebay or craigslist or one of those sites. So, she asked me to take pictures of them. I'm a photographer, so I really didn't know any way to take the photos, other than to try to take good ones. Out to the backyard just before sunset, with a piece of white posterboard........

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

I thought the point was to show the item clearly and accurately, and I believe that such photos do so. There is no need for "context" unless you think that the item's surroundings would help to sell the item more quickly, or for more money.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by clarnibass. (2 edits in all)

Feb 26, 2015 02:06 |  #11

Thanks.

The question isn't good photos vs. blurry and out of focus messy photos. It is about good photos with maybe minor editing (e.g. contrast, etc.) vs. the same photos with more significant editing, to make background white for example. Potential buyers thinking they might be stock photos and not the actual item is one thing I was concerned about.

After reading the answers here I decided to re-edit the photos to remove the white background and keep them looking less edited. Here is an example. The above lens photo is another example of a non-stocky looking good photo. The shoes are borderline, it's mainly the frame and perspective that are unusual for stock photos.

HOSTED PHOTO

spyderpig
193 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 01, 2015 20:51 as a reply to  @ clarnibass's post |  #12

I'm probably one of the few people on this forum who knows about lathes and has at least casually window shopped for this type of equipment. If I saw that picture on craigslist I would probably ask you if those are the actual items or if they're a generic photo. However, once I found out they're real or if you had originally stated they're real then I would be impressed and you would go straight to the top of the list.

This photo tells me you are meticulous with your tools and you take care of them. You have good attention to detail because I see very little dirt or metal shavings. You took the time to setup the shot and use good lighting. Compared to the craigslist slobs with bad cell phone pictures where I can't see any detail, my impression is that you are not a flake.

T2i | Canon 15-85mm | kit 55-250mm | Sigma 80-400mm
Harsh and honest C & C is ALWAYS encouraged for any of my photos.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,256 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 01, 2015 21:57 |  #13

spyderpig wrote in post #17456020 (external link)
This photo tells me you are meticulous with your tools and you take care of them. You have good attention to detail because I see very little dirt or metal shavings. You took the time to setup the shot and use good lighting. Compared to the craigslist slobs with bad cell phone pictures where I can't see any detail, my impression is that you are not a flake.

Or that you are trying to unload quickly and the stuff is a bit junky and scuffed so a quick edit in PS to cover a few scratches makes it look better increasing the perceived value.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

clarnibass
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 02, 2015 00:38 |  #14

I added to the ad that the photos are of the actual items. I made no retouching to the photos at all, except slightly editing in Lightroom (contrast, shadows, highlights, etc.). No brushes or removing of scratches, dust, etc. I (physically, not software) brushed them a bit before taking the photos.

At first I made the background completely white with Photoshop, but later removed that. The only Photoshop here is that I combined the compound slide (that's the thing at the bottom) from a separate photo and that's because the local second hand ad website allows a maximum of five photos.

The setup and light were very simple. Just white paper and one bounced flash.

Thanks again

sponsored links

1,888 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photos in sale ads
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.