Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 09:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An extra camera ?

DigiBill
252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

Feb 25, 2015 09:16 |  #1

My Canon 70d arrives tomorrow and the last few days I've been wondering what I should do with my t3i that is being replaced by the 70d.

I thought about getting my wife to use the t3i but not sure she has that much interest in actually taking pictures. She does enjoy going with me when I'm taking pictures but I don't know if she really wants to shoot. Also, what if she gets better than me.

Then I thought about selling the t3i. But that would be a pity as the selling price is so low for such a nice piece of technology. So I do not think I will sell.

The t3i is loaded with Magic Lantern so I thought it might be fun to attach it to a tripod and let it run time lapse exposure, motion detection, exposure detection, HDR bracketing, etc. I could simply turn the t3i on and let it do it's thing while I'm using the 70d to take other photographs.

I thought about giving it to one of the grandkids but I'm not sure they have the interest nor would they value the camera as I did. I gave my t1i to my oldest son and he is getting good use.

I continue to be undecided. What thoughts can you share with me.

Please feel free to visit our RV Website
http://rv.billdiana.co​mexternal link

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 25, 2015 09:32 |  #2

A lot depends on what and how you shoot. Personally, I like carrying two cameras as it means that I can have two lenses mounted, ready for instant use. I find it annoying to be out and about and see a shot but have the wrong lens on, especially at events where I may be shuffling lenses all day. Using two bodies I can have the two lenses I am most likely to want mounted and simply grab the appropriate camera. I may have a 10-22 on the crop and 24-105 on the FF, which is a great walkaround combo for urban photography, for wildlife or sports I am likely to have the 300 f/2.8 on one body, maybe with a 1.4x or 2xTC on it, and the 100-400 on the other, for when the prime is the wrong length for where the action is (this works particularly well with the 2x on as I have a 600 prime for the long shots and a 100-400 for when the action gets close). Or, I may mount a zoom on one and a fast shorter prime, such as the 85 f/1.8 on the other, or a macro lens, you get the idea.

It makes life so much easier to be able to just grab the other camera than start changing lenses, particularly with events where things can be happening quickly. I always had multiple bodies in the old film days (particularly useful as not only could I have different lenses ready, but different films as well) and when I first went digital I started with one body (a 20D) and three lenses, which was a bit frustrating. The following year the original 5D was launched and I bought one and that 2 body combo did me for several years, until the 20D was relegated to backup camera when I got a used 40D at a very good price. I bought a 5D3 a couple of years ago to take over the main body role and that relegated the 5D to backup and I sold the 20D. Now, I use the 5D3 as main body and either the 40D or 5D as my second, depending on what I am shooting. The third body still gets taken along in case of problems.

I can recommend keeping your old camera as a backup, even if you don't want to carry two at all times. You can guarantee that Murphy's Law will otherwise mean that your only body will fail on an expensive trip, you are unlikely to repeat, and really want to take photos on.

DigiBill
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 25, 2015 09:37 |  #3

sandpiper wrote in post #17449081 (external link)
A lot depends on what and how you shoot. Personally, I like carrying two cameras as it means that I can have two lenses mounted, ready for instant use. I find it annoying to be out and about and see a shot but have the wrong lens on, especially at events where I may be shuffling lenses all day. Using two bodies I can have the two lenses I am most likely to want mounted and simply grab the appropriate camera. I may have a 10-22 on the crop and 24-105 on the FF, which is a great walkaround combo for urban photography, for wildlife or sports I am likely to have the 300 f/2.8 on one body, maybe with a 1.4x or 2xTC on it, and the 100-400 on the other, for when the prime is the wrong length for where the action is (this works particularly well with the 2x on as I have a 600 prime for the long shots and a 100-400 for when the action gets close). Or, I may mount a zoom on one and a fast shorter prime, such as the 85 f/1.8 on the other, or a macro lens, you get the idea.

It makes life so much easier to be able to just grab the other camera than start changing lenses, particularly with events where things can be happening quickly. I always had multiple bodies in the old film days (particularly useful as not only could I have different lenses ready, but different films as well) and when I first went digital I started with one body (a 20D) and three lenses, which was a bit frustrating. The following year the original 5D was launched and I bought one and that 2 body combo did me for several years, until the 20D was relegated to backup camera when I got a used 40D at a very good price. I bought a 5D3 a couple of years ago to take over the main body role and that relegated the 5D to backup and I sold the 20D. Now, I use the 5D3 as main body and either the 40D or 5D as my second, depending on what I am shooting. The third body still gets taken along in case of problems.

I can recommend keeping your old camera as a backup, even if you don't want to carry two at all times. You can guarantee that Murphy's Law will otherwise mean that your only body will fail on an expensive trip, you are unlikely to repeat, and really want to take photos on.

Thanks Sandpiper. Your advice makes good sense as I frequently find myself in a situation where I need/want to change the lens but hate the thoughts of doing it while the action is going on.

Please feel free to visit our RV Website
http://rv.billdiana.co​mexternal link

jay125
on the happy gas
10,703 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 25, 2015 09:56 |  #4

I agree with Sandpiper. Having two bodies, with different lenses makes life easier. The other thing to consider is when you're out shooting and the unthinkable happens where one body fails, you still have a second body to shoot with. When I go out, I always have a second body.

feedback

gear list

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,511 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 25, 2015 10:00 |  #5

I once only had 1 camera. When the shutter died and I had to wait two plus weeks for it to be repaired, I decided I'd never only ave one camera again.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,109 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 25, 2015 10:16 |  #6

DigiBill wrote in post #17449057 (external link)
I thought about getting my wife to use the t3i but not sure she has that much interest in actually taking pictures. She does enjoy going with me when I'm taking pictures but I don't know if she really wants to shoot.

She would be your best source of information on that question. If she tries the camera for a while, her interest may increase, or not.

Also, what if she gets better than me.

Then you'll have an incentive to improve.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Peoria ­ Man
60 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 25, 2015 11:09 |  #7

Always good to have a backup.

Plus, I'm one of those people who can never part with a valued tool like a camera. I have a shelf of old ones!

I wonder if I'll feel the same way about my digitals in ten or twenty years...

Nikon D80, D7000, D750, N90S, FA, FM2, F, F2, 1J3... and lenses.
Rolleiflex 2.8C, Baby Rolleiflex, Ricoh Ricohmatic 44, etc.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 25, 2015 11:47 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Well......if your primary camera is new, the likelihood that you would be out of a camera due to the shutter failure is pretty low. If you aren't shooting paid gigs, is a luxury to have 2 cameras. If you need the money for another camera equipment, I would sell it. If you need another camera for some unexpected shoots, you can always rent. I have 3 cameras, actually. 1 D7000. 1 35mm film body Nikon N90s, and 1 film medium format camera, Yashica Mat. They are different formats and mediums and so they aren't wasted and sitting somewhere on the shelves unused....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 25, 2015 12:10 |  #9

I kept my 40D when I bought the 5D3, though I have hardly used it since then. Selling it would get me peanuts, so it stays. Maybe one of my kids will pick it up eventually or I'll have it converted to IR. The extra 'reach' of a crop can be handy at times too, but it's doubtful that I'd actually have it with me at that time.

I like your idea of time lapses and other such things while you shoot with the other camera!

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 25, 2015 12:24 |  #10

I struggled with that myself with my 1Ds, thinking I should sell it while it still held SOME value. I'm so glad I didn't though for the same reasons others have outlined. If it was EVER a phenomenal camera, and it was, it still is a phenomenal machine even though the camera I replaced it with (1d mark 3) is better in other ways. It doesn't matter that there is better technology out there, I love that it is full frame as my other one is a crop body. I have good lenses and that's the main thing. Had I sold it, I would have done what with the little bit of money I'd get for it? I love having a great backup body in my camera bag.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

mark48
913 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 26, 2015 10:25 |  #11

I would hold onto it. Why get rid of it when you know the t3i works well? I kept my Xti when I got my 60D and use it for experiments such as the time lapses. It's a good back up camera for me.
-mark

groundloop
980 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 26, 2015 11:49 |  #12

sandpiper wrote in post #17449081 (external link)
.....Personally, I like carrying two cameras as it means that I can have two lenses mounted, ready for instant use.......

^^THIS. Plus by having that second camera you'll automatically have a backup in the rare event that one of them stops working.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 26, 2015 12:06 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

groundloop wrote in post #17450957 (external link)
^^THIS. Plus by having that second camera you'll automatically have a backup in the rare event that one of them stops working.

Hmmm...do you need two bodies when shooting landscape? Or even street photography in a discreet way??? What about non-paid events? I do carry 2 because they are different formats and mediums. Digital and film. Or 35mm film and medium format film. Even one for color and the other for BW. 2 DSLRs of the same format...only for shooting paid gigs...because you would look pro. 2nd, you would look like you know what you are doing. 3rd, of course, you can shoot instantly without needing to change lenses.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2015 12:32 |  #14

#1 Body + standard/ wide lens
#2 body + tele
#3 body if either fails.

I never take lenses from their body so they dont get dust/hair/diesel on the sensor

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

MichiTimm
837 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 26, 2015 13:42 |  #15

If you don't need the money and/or don't think you'll get what you'd want for it, just keep it.

My first dslr was a Rebel XS. Loved it, but obviously it has some limitations. So I bought me a 7D and sold the Rebel XS for a pittance. I regretted it. Even after I had bought a second 7D I found myself occasionally wishing I still had that Rebel to go play with -- either for a smaller, lighter set-up, or to take it out in less than ideal circumstances ... whatever. Point is I missed it. And then the guy I sold it to put it up for sale for the same pittance I sold it to him for (minus like $5 or something) so I bought it back and have been enjoying it on occasion ever since.

I like having a variety of cameras. They're fun. Dslr's, slr's , digital point-and-shoots, film point-and-shoots, holgas, polaroids -- I have at least a couple of all of those, and use them all.

Just for fun, here's a recent text conversation I had with my wife when she was at work one day:
Wife: How many cameras do you have?
Me: On me? Three. Why do you ask?
Wife: No, total. It came up in conversation with [coworker].
Me: Oh. Uh.... less than twenty, I think? Maybe. Not counting the one that's coming tomorrow. Ooh. Or the Polaroids. Maybe a few more than twenty? Twentyish. Definitely Twentyish.
Wife: LOL. Thank you.
(I later learned that the coworker was considering a second camera but thought maybe it was a ridiculous idea, so my wife brought me in to the conversation to enable I guess.)

sponsored links

1,939 views & 0 likes for this thread
An extra camera ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.