Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 25 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 08:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Minimalis Rocks and Ocean

wayne_eddy
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 25, 2015 08:03 |  #1

Thoughts, opinions?

about 20sec exposure.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

sponsored links
Jon ­ Clemens
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 25, 2015 09:12 |  #2

What I always notice first about any landscape photograph is the composition. Given that we can't really move the elements of the scene, it is up to us to pick our location. Your composition is stellar, and the execution to emphasize that composition in such an uncluttered way is outstanding.

Canon 7D | 400L | 70-200L | 24-105L | Tokina 11-16
jonclemensphotography.​com

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,095 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 25, 2015 10:21 |  #3

Jon Clemens wrote in post #17449052 (external link)
Your composition is stellar

Agree. For one thing, the curve of the light sky area is the curve of the rocks, inverted. Together, they make an S.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 25, 2015 13:28 |  #4

The storm and cloud break are nice touches! Well done!

My 500PX (external link)

cerett
806 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Feb 25, 2015 13:34 |  #5

I agree with all of the above. It is amazing how a simple composition like this, done correctly, can really work extremely well. Congratulations.

Marty
5D M4, 14/2.8 II, 24/1.4 II, 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 II, 300/2.8, 200-400/4, 500/4 II, 24/3.5 TS-E, 17/4 TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8.

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
818 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Feb 26, 2015 10:46 |  #6

Nice shot Wayne. I'm a sucker for distant storm shots :D

When taking a photo and then when processing them I start and end with "transitions" in mind. It's the transition from (for example) dark to light, warm to cool, high contrast to low contrast, etc that give the photo depth and draws the eye through the frame. In your shot the transition from the dark FG to the bright BG work to do this and draws the eye through the shot. With that in mind I would be tempted to burn the lighter area of the water on the right (slightly on the left) as well as the bright cloud area on the left horizon as they compete with the central bright area and the eye wants to go to those areas. The FG rocks could also take a lot more sharpening, which again aids in that transition from high contrast in the FG to low contrast in the BG, providing more apparent depth to the shot.

Thanks for sharing it!

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

cali92rs
179 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 26, 2015 14:15 |  #7

I think it is a great shot :)
I might try brightening the rocks, just a tad. It may not make the image any better, but just something to draw you eye there and worth a 5 minute experiement.

But either way, I like it ;)

6D, 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-105mm f4L, 50mm f1.8 STM, 135mm f2L, Tamron 70-300mm VC

Scrub
731 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 26, 2015 22:47 |  #8

Beautiful shot Wayne, I really like the simplicity of it. I have recently started shooting similar types of images not my usual subject matter.
But I'm really enjoying the long exposures and the effect it has on water in particular. Do you have a colour version you could show.
Cheers Stuart.

wayne_eddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 27, 2015 02:46 |  #9

Bcaps wrote in post #17450855 (external link)
Nice shot Wayne. I'm a sucker for distant storm shots :D

When taking a photo and then when processing them I start and end with "transitions" in mind. It's the transition from (for example) dark to light, warm to cool, high contrast to low contrast, etc that give the photo depth and draws the eye through the frame. In your shot the transition from the dark FG to the bright BG work to do this and draws the eye through the shot. With that in mind I would be tempted to burn the lighter area of the water on the right (slightly on the left) as well as the bright cloud area on the left horizon as they compete with the central bright area and the eye wants to go to those areas. The FG rocks could also take a lot more sharpening, which again aids in that transition from high contrast in the FG to low contrast in the BG, providing more apparent depth to the shot.

Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks Bcaps, that's the crit I was after and darkening down the LHS now you bring it up was something I had in mind while processing but didn't do.

I'm also concerned about the lightness on the site and will give it a go.

Thank you.

wayne eddy
Gear List

wayne_eddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 27, 2015 02:48 as a reply to  @ Scrub's post |  #10

Thanks.

This image was shot in color and I did the conversion to mono as the color has so little saturation I don't feel it has as much power as the mono.

wayne eddy
Gear List

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Evan. (2 edits in all)

Feb 27, 2015 06:18 |  #11

I love how there are birds on the rock to provide scale. It is very abstract initially because there isn't any scale to compare those rocks to. But then after some exploration of the image you find the two sea birds. Really like it.

I'm also a huge fan of minimalistic elements. Clean images seem to me to pop out more and grab one's attention.

--
flickr (external link)

blackchrome
625 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2015 23:12 |  #12

All above ^^^ Just beautiful, well done. Love the simplicity but yet so much going on within.

Stacy Shane

wayne_eddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 28, 2015 00:51 |  #13

Evan wrote in post #17452067 (external link)
I love how there are birds on the rock to provide scale. It is very abstract initially because there isn't any scale to compare those rocks to. But then after some exploration of the image you find the two sea birds. Really like it.

I'm also a huge fan of minimalistic elements. Clean images seem to me to pop out more and grab one's attention.

I was wondering if anyone would notice those birds there. In one of the earlier edits I have actually snipped them out but since they are so small they are diminished in the scale so left them behind this time.

wayne eddy
Gear List

RD ­ Hawk
363 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 28, 2015 01:34 |  #14

all I have to say is Oooooh Great Shot !!!

Ursyn
Goldmember
1,426 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 28, 2015 06:04 |  #15

Ominous sky contrasting with smooth and calm water plus interesting water movement around the rocks look good to me. Congratulations!

Adrian | flickr (external link) & Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,977 views & 0 likes for this thread
Minimalis Rocks and Ocean
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.