Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 26 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 00:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What a difference a year makes

grism13
188 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 26, 2015 00:17 |  #1

Hi everyone,
Every once in a while I'll go through old photos and re-edit them with new techniques I've learned. This is a picture from portrait session I did almost a year ago. The first is how I first edited it last year and the second is how I edited it just a few moments ago after applying many new styles and tricks I've learned in photoshop in the last year. What do you think? Have I improved?

From a year ago:

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8602/16463338390_65b9b2502b_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/r5NU​VU  (external link) G (external link) by Gris M. (external link), on Flickr

Today:

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8646/16649321901_9fea5833cc_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rnf8​ma  (external link) G (external link) by Gris M. (external link), on Flickr

I was quite surprised with how different both images looked. I think I've finally decided on a predominant style that I would like to use for my images.

Anyway, just wanted to share as I thought it was quite interesting. Any comments are welcome! Thank you for reading :-)

P.S. Flickr may be over-sharpening my images but I think everyone already knows that :p

6D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 100mm Macro f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.8 STM | Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
Biologist by trade
flickr (external link)
http://www.grismphotog​raphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Eric ­ Redard
477 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 26, 2015 00:54 |  #2

Great work! Love seeing progress like this.

Capturing The Spirit
Canon 5DsR
Flickr (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,646 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 26, 2015 01:33 |  #3

Eric Redard wrote in post #17450352 (external link)

X2.. keep up the good work

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

nyne7lac
42 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 26, 2015 03:46 |  #4

Never stop learning! Good job!

t3i | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | YN-565EX | YN-560II

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by nes_matt.

Feb 26, 2015 05:56 |  #5

I'm not so sure.... but style is very personal so take this for what it is worth.

In the first, the background and wall are washed out and soft. In the second there is contrast and definition.

In The first the crop is tight, second is looser.

First: definition in the hair, second is more saturated, but looses some definition.

For me, all of this de-emphasises the subject and distracts my eye from her. So while #2 may show a more technically correct exposure, #1 is a far more effective portrait to me.

Don't let the wonder and wizardry of PS distract you from your primary mission as a photographer.

Ymmv.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2015 06:06 |  #6

Always keep fiddling until the photo looks good.
The more you experiment the more you learn how you kit works and what it is able to do.

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Feb 26, 2015 06:53 |  #7

nes_matt wrote in post #17450525 (external link)
I'm not so sure.... but style is very personal so take this for what it is worth.

In the first, the background and wall are washed out and soft. In the second there is contrast and definition.

First: definition in the hair, second is more saturated, but looses some definition.

For me, all of this de-emphasises the subject and distracts my eye from her. So while #2 may show a more technically correct exposure, #1 is a far more effective portrait to me.

Don't let the wonder and wizardry of PS distract you from your primary mission as a photographer.

Ymmv.

I actually agree with a lot of this but I also like things about your new edit. I would offer a few additional observations:
- take a look at the soles of her shoes and her lower legs and hands in the new edit - they look dirty because of the over saturation
- given the above, I prefer paint brushes in Lightroom as oppose to global changes
- I would absolutely return the sole of her shoes to the lighter look and infact 'clean' them more
- her lower legs and hands look cleaner in the original image (tanned looks can work but given the colour of her face the original is better imo)
- i do like the richness that you have achieved in the wall (clarity and saturation paint brushes in LR achieve similar results)
- in LR you can increase Green Saturation and Decrease the Luminosity to get punchier greens in the background without affecting global saturations

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

grism13
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 26, 2015 10:57 |  #8

Eric Redard wrote in post #17450352 (external link)

DigitalTuned wrote in post #17450379 (external link)
X2.. keep up the good work

nyne7lac wrote in post #17450438 (external link)
Never stop learning! Good job!

john5189 wrote in post #17450530 (external link)
Always keep fiddling until the photo looks good.
The more you experiment the more you learn how you kit works and what it is able to do.

Thank you everyone!

6D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 100mm Macro f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.8 STM | Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
Biologist by trade
flickr (external link)

grism13
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 26, 2015 11:07 |  #9

nes_matt wrote in post #17450525 (external link)

Ymmv.

Thanks for your comments! Now that you mention it, I actually did forget to crop the second one, but that's a quick fix. As for the washed out look, that's what I was trying to get rid of. Like you said, style is personal, and that washed out look was not something that I particularly liked. I like more contrasty pictures which is why some of the definition in the hair is lost. But I do agree that she does seem to blend in a bit with the background in the second image but I did want to showcase, at least a little bit, the location she was in. I'll keep working on it and see if I can find a good balance between the subject and environment.

Biologist by trade
flickr (external link)

grism13
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 26, 2015 11:18 |  #10

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17450569 (external link)
I actually agree with a lot of this but I also like things about your new edit. I would offer a few additional observations:
- take a look at the soles of her shoes and her lower legs and hands in the new edit - they look dirty because of the over saturation
- given the above, I prefer paint brushes in Lightroom as oppose to global changes
- I would absolutely return the sole of her shoes to the lighter look and infact 'clean' them more
- her lower legs and hands look cleaner in the original image (tanned looks can work but given the colour of her face the original is better imo)
- i do like the richness that you have achieved in the wall (clarity and saturation paint brushes in LR achieve similar results)
- in LR you can increase Green Saturation and Decrease the Luminosity to get punchier greens in the background without affecting global saturations

Thank you for the suggestions! Now that I look at it, the soles of the shoes and hands do look a bit darker than I would like, so that's something I would definitely fix.

I have LR but I feel like I can't get as detailed as I can in PS. Although they are more global edits, I use a lot of masks to only affect the areas that I want, plus there's the added benefit of using different blending modes. Also, one thing that I think LR is lacking is a levels adjustment. Maybe I haven't taken the time to learn LR as well as PS but I actually find PS easier to work with.

Biologist by trade
flickr (external link)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by wallstreetoneil. (3 edits in all)

Feb 26, 2015 11:49 as a reply to  @ grism13's post |  #11

I want to say again that I like your edit - but also my personal preference lies somewhere in between your two edits - we all like what we like.

I don't have your raw file but this is sort of halfway between the two images that I quickly did in LR.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8616/16653774601_e554dc2657_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rnCW​YR  (external link) flikr-5 (external link) by wallstreetoneil (external link), on Flickr

I will delete it immediately if you have an issue.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

trangelo
76 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 26, 2015 19:49 |  #12

OP, well done! looking good.

ranmasu
274 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 26, 2015 22:01 |  #13

I like the crop of the original edit but I like the warmth of the second edit. I like the sun light in her hair on the second edit. Lightening the ankles and cleaning the soles of her sandals will help the second edit. For me, the second edit shows the improvement in your editing skills. You seem to be moving along quite nicely. Wish I could say the same for myself.

Randy

grism13
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 27, 2015 11:28 |  #14

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17450955 (external link)
I want to say again that I like your edit - but also my personal preference lies somewhere in between the your two edits - we all like what we like.

I don't have your raw file but this is sort of halfway between the two images that I quickly did in LR.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rnCW​YR  (external link) flikr-5 (external link) by wallstreetoneil (external link), on Flickr

I will delete it immediately if you have an issue.

Hey that's actually a pretty nice edit. I think the only thing I would do is make it just a tad bit warmer. I don't know if it's just me or the monitor I'm on but I see a bit of a blue/green color on her face. I'll definitely play around with it some more to try to incorporate some of your suggestions.

Biologist by trade
flickr (external link)

grism13
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 27, 2015 11:29 |  #15

trangelo wrote in post #17451571 (external link)
OP, well done! looking good.

Thank you!

Biologist by trade
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,898 views & 2 likes for this thread
What a difference a year makes
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.