Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Feb 2015 (Tuesday) 11:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon vs. Canon flash

drogos
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 24, 2015 11:00 |  #1

considering jumping ships and looking at Nikon flashes....no radio built in capability right? Also, by looking at manufacturers website, top canon flash seems to have 2x the guide number of Nikon's top flash....???!!! impossible...what am I missing?

Lukasz Drogowski
Chicago Wedding Photographer (external link)
canon MARK III / 5D II / 5d / 24-70L, 50 1.4, 85 1.2 M2, 70-200 2.8 IS, Sigma 20mm 1.8 / 580ex / 580exII / 600ex

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by SkipD.

Feb 24, 2015 11:27 |  #2

drogos wrote in post #17447447 (external link)
considering jumping ships and looking at Nikon flashes....no radio built in capability right? Also, by looking at manufacturers website, top canon flash seems to have 2x the guide number of Nikon's top flash....???!!! impossible...what am I missing?

You'd have to go to a Nikon camera (and Nikon-compatible lenses) to use a dedicated Nikon flash unit. Canon flash units won't work on Nikons and Nikon flash units won't work on Canon cameras. They are NOT interchangeable.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,249 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 24, 2015 11:40 |  #3

They ARE interchangeable but only to the point that one will fire the other. My SB 28 works fine in manual mode and in its auto mode where it shuts itself off once it fires off enough light. I can also fire it with remote triggers.

Nikon has some strong speedlites, I think the SB 900 is the strongest, but I'm not up on the details. No built in wireless either, but again, I'm just a canon guy. :-D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

drogos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 24, 2015 11:50 |  #4

I am surprised my post was so confusing. I am sorry, let me try again. I am considering switching brands, cameras included.......and one of my considerations is the fact that on the paper Nikon flashes seem to be much less powerful which doesn't make much sense to me, hence the confusion and my question.

Lukasz Drogowski
canon MARK III / 5D II / 5d / 24-70L, 50 1.4, 85 1.2 M2, 70-200 2.8 IS, Sigma 20mm 1.8 / 580ex / 580exII / 600ex

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,249 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 24, 2015 11:54 as a reply to  @ drogos's post |  #5

I nikon and canon measure their GN differently. Find a third party review for apples to apples.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

drogos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 24, 2015 11:55 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #6

thank you, now it makes sense

Lukasz Drogowski

inkista
606 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 24, 2015 14:16 |  #7

drogos wrote in post #17447447 (external link)
... Also, by looking at manufacturers website, top canon flash seems to have 2x the guide number of Nikon's top flash....???!!! impossible...what am I missing?

The zoom figure. Canon measures guide number at tightest zoom (200mm for the 600EX-RT and 105mm for the 580EXII--which is why the 600EX-RT looks more powerful, despite the fact the two are actually about the same on power output), Nikon measures at the more reasonable 35mm zoom.

from the Canon website (external link), the 600EX-RT has:

ISO 100 Guide number (at 35mm zoom setting) 118.1 (feet); 36 (meters)

Not 60m, as at 200mm zoom. That's much closer to Nikon's SB-910 having a guide number of 34m @iso 100, 35mm zoom.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 27, 2015 12:51 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #8

While that is true, you can make the Nikon flash work nicely with a Canon camera using the Cactus V6 radio triggers. You can also remotely control the power output of the flash too.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,570 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon vs. Canon flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.