Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Feb 2015 (Friday) 06:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What Color Is This Dress? (White/Gold or Black/Blue)"
White/Gold
55%
Blue/Gold
10%
Blue/Black
35%

60 voters, 60 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Color Is This Dress? (White/Gold or Black/Blue)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,467 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 27, 2015 09:57 |  #16

Just saw msowsun's edit to the OP.

Freaky isn't it!?!?!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,185 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 27, 2015 10:25 |  #17

Haha, my girlfriend showed me this last night and I thought about posting it. I saw the blue and black right away, she was befuddled because she saw it as white. I had to open it in PS and zoom all the way down to just one of the fabrics to show her one at a time that they were blue and black, then I slowly stepped the zoom back out and she freaked out saying she saw it as blue and gold after that.

I also pulled the exposure back a bit and bumped the saturation slightly and then it's very obviously blue and black.

It's amazing how we perceive things. I'm honestly surprised at the poll results, I wanted to post it because I assumed as a photographer I was able to see that the exposure and white balance were muddling the colors of the photo and so I figured most here would see it as I did, but it must literally look white and gold to people which is crazy, I can't see that at all.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,825 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 27, 2015 10:35 |  #18

msowsun wrote in post #17452073 (external link)
Last night I looked at this photo dozens of times, and I always saw White/Gold. When I first posted this today I also saw White/Gold. I just came in from being outside and now I suddenly see Black/Blue.

If you wait for your eyes to adjust to the difference in quality and intensity of light inside, do the colors switch back? Complete adaptation can take as long as 20 minutes.

This is the third website where I've seen that dress. It's always white and gold/brown for me, although the white is bluish and the gold is more or less muddy on different sites. The contrast effect due to the surrounding colors is well known, but I don't see how it can apply to this photo: the background doesn't change.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,828 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 27, 2015 10:51 |  #19

First time I saw it the dress was white and gold- then I saw the other picture that the original poster put up, of the same dress in regular lighting. The dress is a dark blue, and when I went back to look at it it had changed to blue and black

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,539 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 27, 2015 10:52 |  #20

It looks like a sort of muddy dark brown with blue to me. I don't see any white at all.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G15 • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 24-70L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 1.4x • 600EX II • 270 EX II

qdrummer21
121 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 27, 2015 11:02 |  #21

My co-worker originally showed me the photo on his phone and I saw Black/Blue. I then pulled up an article on CNN about the photo going viral and I saw it as White/Gold. I figured it was either two separate images or a result of differences between my monitor and his phone screen. So I had him bring the image on his phone back up, sure enough I was now seeing it as White/Gold. We were discussing it over the course of 10-15 min. and I looked at the image on his phone a 3rd time and I now saw it back as Black/Blue. All three times he always saw it as Black/Blue.

http://www.wired.com …e-one-agrees-color-dress/ (external link)

The above article talks about how our brains adjust the white balance of what our eyes see based on the time of day and how sometimes the brain gets it wrong. It would appear that there's something about this photo that has the ability to trick the brain.

After pulling up the image in an image editor and isolating the two sets of colors (a grey-light-blue and a bronze/brown) I'm convinced that the photo is an overexposed and improperly white balanced photo of a Black/Blue dress from a P&S or cell phone in a low light environment. The resulting photo just happens to fall in the right middle ground that allows our brains to be tricked into adjusting the white balance and exposure of the dress as pictured in the photo in both directions resulting in the White/Gold and Black/Blue that we see.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,825 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 27, 2015 11:15 |  #22

qdrummer21 wrote in post #17452409 (external link)
My co-worker originally showed me the photo on his phone and I saw Black/Blue. I then pulled up an article on CNN about the photo going viral and I saw it as White/Gold.

CNN's photo (on my laptop) looked whiter and golder than the version in this thread. The white balance was off, too blue, but not so far off as here.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

qdrummer21
121 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 27, 2015 11:20 |  #23

OhLook wrote in post #17452432 (external link)
CNN's photo (on my laptop) looked whiter and golder than the version in this thread. The white balance was off, too blue, but not so far off as here.

While that may be true, my main point is that looking at the picture 3 times on my coworkers phone I saw the colors change from how I previously perceived them on his phone. Mentioning CNN's photo was included to convey the order of events.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,325 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 27, 2015 11:37 |  #24

Ok, I saw this on Facebook and saw off white and yelllow/gold trim. First opened this post.. same thing.. scrolled down saw example, scrolled back up, saw the same thing...

played candy crush soda saga and came back to this post.

Now I see blue and black.... WTF?

So for those that see gold/white type, please check out something really color saturated and then look at it again and see what is after that.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om …Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1​VNTE0/view (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
7,718 posts
Gallery: 332 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 27, 2015 11:38 |  #25

lol...i just explained white balance to my class.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,042 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 27, 2015 12:43 |  #26

Cool and interesting.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sporadic
559 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 27, 2015 13:34 |  #27

http://xkcd.com/1492/ (external link)

IMAGE: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/dress_color.png

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
7D | 300/4 L IS

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 27, 2015 14:00 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

This is so stupid (I mean the whole dress and color thing)...a poorly lit subject taken with a crappy cell phone camera, adding a poorly color corrected monitor, and the world has to decide what colors are the dresses..hahahahahaha.​......

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,467 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 27, 2015 14:00 as a reply to  @ sporadic's post |  #29

that does not come close to showing the difference i "saw" this morning.

below taken from the above image, do they appear a bit different? sure, but it is not radical enough to sweep the internet in 24 hours and break up otherwise happy homes.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,467 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Feb 27, 2015 14:06 |  #30

TooManyShots wrote in post #17452656 (external link)
This is so stupid (I mean the whole dress and color thing)...a poorly lit subject taken with a crappy cell phone camera, adding a poorly color corrected monitor, and the world has to decide what colors are the dresses..hahahahahaha.​......

"too many shots", i guess so.  :p

seriously though, before i showed up at POTN this morning and saw this post, i was thinking the same thing. i saw it blue on the news and here before posting, but then after posting it was completely different. I mean, i'm not the kind of guy to say "I'm scared, hold me." for no reason.

BTW, has everyone seen the twirling dancer gif from a few years ago? the same but different, just the brain's perception. I can make it switch directions fairly easily.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/File:Spinning_D​ancer.gif (external link)

sponsored links

16,084 views & 18 likes for this thread
What Color Is This Dress? (White/Gold or Black/Blue)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.