Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Feb 2015 (Saturday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dinosaur asks a question

LW ­ Dail
703 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 28, 2015 16:59 |  #1

After a four-year hiatus, I'm able to start shooting again. A very long story!

I've been using Elements 6.0 (no, not a typo, that's really a 6!)

I figure it's time to upgrade. I hate upgrading because I hate relearning how to do the same thing you used to know how to do a whole new way; usually involving pulling out a manual or online help!)

Now that I have to do it, it seems like I ought to do it right. I've heard Elements 13 is a bear and am thinking about 11.

I don't do much more than edit pics, so Elements 6 is fine. I am kind of hoping that my 'new' version will be less cumbersome to use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Canon 5D: 24-105mm L IS, 100-400mm L IS. Canon PowerShot ELPH 340HS, Canon GII. Canon AE-1: FD 50mm, 80-200mm. Holga 120N.
"Photography is my one recreation, and I think it should be done well." Lewis Carroll

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,637 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 28, 2015 17:15 |  #2

It's unclear from your post about why you feel the need to upgrade?

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,655 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 28, 2015 17:23 as a reply to  @ Damo77's post |  #3

Agree with Damien. If it's not going to gain you anything, why upgrade?

Although I have to say that I'm pretty darn happy with Lr 5. I used PS for many years and seemed to always struggle to do things that Lr makes easy. I now do 85% of my post processing in Lr and could probably do more if I took the time to figure out how to do masking and cloning. Not a bad deal for the $50 I originally paid.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to download and install the 30-day trial of PSE and LR5 then see if there's any reason why you need to upgrade in either direction.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

LW ­ Dail
THREAD ­ STARTER
703 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 28, 2015 18:05 |  #4

I would HOPE that there have been some upgrades and changes over time that would MAKE me change! Maybe more modern filters, or a 'Repeat this group of commands' button! An "Instant HDR" button. Something!

I'm content enough with 6, but figured it is 6 versions behind current. Surely something has changed in all of those releases to make us upgrade!

Canon 5D: 24-105mm L IS, 100-400mm L IS. Canon PowerShot ELPH 340HS, Canon GII. Canon AE-1: FD 50mm, 80-200mm. Holga 120N.
"Photography is my one recreation, and I think it should be done well." Lewis Carroll

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,001 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 01, 2015 06:54 |  #5

LW Dail wrote in post #17454223 (external link)
I would HOPE that there have been some upgrades and changes over time that would MAKE me change! Maybe more modern filters, or a 'Repeat this group of commands' button! An "Instant HDR" button. Something!

I'm content enough with 6, but figured it is 6 versions behind current. Surely something has changed in all of those releases to make us upgrade!

I think the biggest change to come to PSE is that I understand (as I'm a CS5 user) that they have finally sorted out layer masks so that they work the same as they always have in full photoshop. It always seemed silly that you had to play games to get layer masks to work. Not sure but I think you also get some of the content aware stuff, which can also be pretty useful, in the latest version. If I were going to buy a new version I would always get the latest one, even the latest version of PSE can be found pretty cheap if you look for it.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 01, 2015 07:22 |  #6

I have not used Elements for years so do not know if it has an easy way of adjusting colour temperature. LR does this with a simple slider; LR is very easy to use.
If you are only tweaking colour and exposure then LR is brilliant and easy to use without instruction. Though looking at the help file on each button and slider is fairly instructive.

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,001 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 01, 2015 09:32 |  #7

john5189 wrote in post #17454925 (external link)
I have not used Elements for years so do not know if it has an easy way of adjusting colour temperature. LR does this with a simple slider; LR is very easy to use.
If you are only tweaking colour and exposure then LR is brilliant and easy to use without instruction. Though looking at the help file on each button and slider is fairly instructive.

Current versions of PSE has a cut down version of ACR, which is mostly limited to the tools in the basic tool panel. This includes the WB, Exposure/Contrast, Highlight/shadow/white​/black and Clarity/Vibrance/Satur​ation as well as the Sharpening and NR tools. This will actually cover much of what many people will do in LR. With the added benefit of a proper layers based pixel editor. Elements also has a image management system, that is in may ways like a cut down version of the LR library module. This is actually quite different from Bridge, which although providing the similar functionality for the full PS, is really a file manager application. For those wanting the full Library and ACR processing then yes LR is really good, although you still need a layers based pixel editor, such as PSE or the full PSCS/CC. The library functions have been in PSE since PSE6.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,784 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Mar 01, 2015 09:39 |  #8

Go here for a simple comparison of Elements 7 vs. 8 vs. 9 vs. 10 vs. 11 ...note the table comparing features

http://prodesigntools.​com …ces-between-versions.html (external link)

And then this compares the three most recent versions of Elements

http://www.adobe.com …ng-guide.html?PID=2159997 (external link)

User reviews shown on Amazon for Elements 11 are rather enlightening
http://www.amazon.com …0&sortBy=byRank​Descending (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

stlouis_26
304 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 01, 2015 21:44 |  #9

I just switched from 6 to 12. If 6 does all you want I would advise you to stay with it.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 02, 2015 14:57 |  #10

Look at reviews, read feature lists, ect. Do you see anything in them that makes you go "Hey, that looks really useful, and I would like to have that!"?

If not, then why upgrade? (This applies to pretty much everything in life. Not just software.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 02, 2015 16:53 |  #11

LW Dail wrote in post #17454143 (external link)
After a four-year hiatus, I'm able to start shooting again. A very long story!

I've been using Elements 6.0 (no, not a typo, that's really a 6!)

I figure it's time to upgrade. I hate upgrading because I hate relearning how to do the same thing you used to know how to do a whole new way; usually involving pulling out a manual or online help!)

Now that I have to do it, it seems like I ought to do it right. I've heard Elements 13 is a bear and am thinking about 11.

I don't do much more than edit pics, so Elements 6 is fine. I am kind of hoping that my 'new' version will be less cumbersome to use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I hear you, but it's worth it sometimes. I had Lightroom 1 and Lightroom 2, then for a few years I used Aperture. Now that Aperture is abandoned, I'm back to Lightroom with v5 and while there are many things different, it's those differences that make it magic. Lightroom is soooo much better now than in the early days. By better I mean better algorithms, more and useful tools, etc. I'm resistant to change, but sometimes it works out for the best.

Now, for your questions, I can't offer anything. I had elements (I assume you mean Photoshop Elements), but almost never used it.

--
John

LW ­ Dail
THREAD ­ STARTER
703 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 07, 2015 09:07 |  #12

Well, looks like I'm about where I need to be. Not one to change for the sake of change, I'll remain where I am!

Thank you all for the comparisons and the insight. I really appreciate your help!

When I thought about the question "Why?" I would think about changing, I realized it's my Power Shot 340HS (the 'shove in my purse' camera that replaced an earlier ELPH).

I accidentally activated the "Creative Shot" mode and enjoyed the results.

It would be fun to have an 'instant' filter with the different results, but I'm not willing to go through the meddlesome results of the upgrade!

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,370 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined May 2007

Mar 07, 2015 09:12 |  #13

I would upgrade. Obviously, you do not know if you need to or what is new and improved with the upgrade but when you do upgrade you will likely find it much improved.
Go for it.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

sponsored links

2,043 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dinosaur asks a question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.