Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 10:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Questions, questions....

this thread is locked
Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,754 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 28, 2015 02:38 |  #901

I just saw something new to me... under the glasses that are attached to many pictures is the + symbol.

What is the significance of the + symbol attached along with the glasses?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Thank you! :-)

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,841 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 28, 2015 05:34 |  #902

It signifies that the image is larger than your current view of it.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,767 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Jan 28, 2015 07:39 as a reply to  @ Inspeqtor's post |  #903

I have written all about the changes in https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1416019

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,754 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 28, 2015 09:57 |  #904

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17403824 (external link)
It signifies that the image is larger than your current view of it.

Pekka wrote in post #17403901 (external link)
I have written all about the changes in https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1416019

I thank you both :-)

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

alexxn
396 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 19, 2015 05:51 |  #905

alexxn wrote in post #17311706 (external link)
In the old forum the "Last Post" header was a hyperlink - it would sort by newest post / reply at the top - it no longer is a hyperlink -

So is this ever going to be able to be done again ?

Makes it MUCH easier to see new things in the For Sale forum. Thanks in advance.

Nikon D4S, D3, Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4G, Nikkor AF-S 85 f/1.8G, Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 G ED, Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G E VR II
www.alexnikolis.com (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by WaltA.

Feb 19, 2015 09:53 |  #906

I think the "Similar Threads" window at the bottom of the thread is a feature I miss.

Of course it was used a lot when people posted a question and you could just say "look at Similar thread" to see who else asked this question.

But also, it was helpful when you found a thread that you were interested in, you could find others like it.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 20, 2015 09:20 |  #907

WaltA wrote in post #17439064 (external link)
I think the "Similar Threads" window at the bottom of the thread is a feature I miss.

Of course it was used a lot when people posted a question and you could just say "look at Similar thread" to see who else asked this question.

But also, it was helpful when you found a thread that you were interested in, you could others like it.

I miss that feature as well.

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,767 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Feb 20, 2015 15:22 |  #908

-Douglas- wrote in post #17440638 (external link)
WaltA wrote in post #17439064 (external link)

But also, it was helpful when you found a thread that you were interested in, you could others like it.

I miss that feature as well.

It's not really my business, but there is searching available, is that not good for searching similar threads?

"Similar threads" had in vBulletin only few guesses which often were totally off, search covers it all with a possibility to filter and alter keywords.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

KurtB
207 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 20, 2015 15:52 |  #909

Pekka wrote in post #17441241 (external link)
It's not really my business, but there is searching available, is that not good for searching similar threads?

"Similar threads" had in vBulletin only few guesses which often were totally off, search covers it all with a possibility to filter and alter keywords.

One of the advantages to the "Similar Threads" feature was that it was similar to a search, but the results were one thread per result.

Maybe it is how I am using the search feature, but I have found sometimes that if I search for a fairly common keyword, instead of getting one result that points to a thread where the keyword appears in multiple posts, I will get an entire page or more of results, all from the same thread.

Another nice thing that is a bit harder to explain was that the related posts feature led me deeper into the "old threads". Every time I am here it isn't to attempt to gather information on a specific topic. Sometimes it is just to do some casual reading. There are times that I don't mind being led off on a tangent through one of those "related threads" that were "totally off". I would get to the end of an interesting thread, and click on one of those "related threads" just because. Especially if it was an older thread that I may not have ever read that had an interesting title.

7Dmk2, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon 70-200 f/4L IS, lots of little stuff, flashes, stands, and almost enough brains to be considered dangerous :confused:

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,684 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 21, 2015 01:13 |  #910

Have we lost the edit history of posts that were written in the old V-Bulletin format? When I go back and read threads from last year, or the year before, etc, I do not see, at the bottom of the post, "last edited Sept 22, 2013........."

Is there some setting I need to adjust to be able to see which threads were edited, and how many times they were edited? Or, has this info simply been lost with the transfer to AMASS?

Also, when I search for old posts, the search tool runs out after the last 1,000 posts that fit my search criteria. If I want to look for a post that another member wrote 3 or 4 years ago, I have been unable to find it using the search tool (if the member writes a couple thousand posts a year). Without having to go off-site, how can I find older posts in a quick, convenient way?

Don't get me wrong - I am not complaining. I think AMASS is the best discussion-forum software in world history! But I am currently unable to find all of the info on old posts that I would like to see. And all of the nitty-gritty information from old, old posts is actually quite important to me! I am constantly remembering things that people wrote here several years ago, and wanting to look them up to see exactly how the member worded their thoughts. Or, more frequently, I forgot some of the details of what was said in some old, old post, and I want to look it up so that I can refresh my memory and re-learn what I have forgotten over time.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 21, 2015 01:55 |  #911

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17441919 (external link)
Have we lost the edit history of posts that were written in the old V-Bulletin format? When I go back and read threads from last year, or the year before, etc, I do not see, at the bottom of the post, "last edited Sept 22, 2013........."

Is there some setting I need to adjust to be able to see which threads were edited, and how many times they were edited? Or, has this info simply been lost with the transfer to AMASS?

Also, when I search for old posts, the search tool runs out after the last 1,000 posts that fit my search criteria. If I want to look for a post that another member wrote 3 or 4 years ago, I have been unable to find it using the search tool (if the member writes a couple thousand posts a year). Without having to go off-site, how can I find older posts in a quick, convenient way?

Don't get me wrong - I am not complaining. I think AMASS is the best discussion-forum software in world history! But I am currently unable to find all of the info on old posts that I would like to see. And all of the nitty-gritty information from old, old posts is actually quite important to me! I am constantly remembering things that people wrote here several years ago, and wanting to look them up to see exactly how the member worded their thoughts. Or, more frequently, I forgot some of the details of what was said in some old, old post, and I want to look it up so that I can refresh my memory and re-learn what I have forgotten over time.

Tom, if you click the date subcategory in the search bar it will allow you to choose the "Date from" and "Date to". So, if you wish to see old posts then simply choose old dates.:-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,793 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 24, 2015 18:55 |  #912

I have a question. How many times can you edit a post?
There's a scavenger hunt thread that they want to edit the first post once a month.

Thanks,
Stina

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,793 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 24, 2015 23:41 |  #913

Chet wrote in post #17448354 (external link)
As long as the thread isn't locked you can edit it as often as your heart desires.

Thanks, a few of us weren't sure so I thought I'd just ask. :)

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013

Mar 02, 2015 06:33 |  #914

I am sure an answer to this question exists somewhere but I couldn't find it with search:cry:
Does a mobile version of this website exist?

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012

Mar 02, 2015 09:40 as a reply to  @ Van Gogh's post |  #915

This site was specifically designed to be compatible with all mobile devices and screen sizes. No mobile version is necessary. Give it a try.:-)

Mark

sponsored links

113,881 views & 181 likes for this thread
Questions, questions....
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.