Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 10 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 00:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can you buy/sale gear here on POTN?

AV ­ Stills
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 10, 2015 00:54 |  #1

I'm new here lol. Im looking to buy a Canon 85mm f1.8-Thanks!

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!- AV Stills #CanonGang

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,239 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 10, 2015 01:03 |  #2

Welcome.:-)

The answer to your question is yes, but you must have 30 posts and must have been a member for over 30 days in order to do so.

Mark

AV ­ Stills
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 10, 2015 01:08 |  #3

rrblint wrote in post #17375018 (external link)
Welcome.:-)

The answer to your question is yes, but you must have 30 posts and must have been a member for over 30 days in order to do so.

Thank you very much for the helpful facts. I am glad to be here.:lol:

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 12, 2015 11:06 |  #4

You can buy gear even though you are new. You just can't start a new thread according to the rules.

"...From now on you will need to be member of POTN in order to start new threads in buy or sell forums. This means you need 30 days and 30 posts before you can place your ad. Junior Members (0-29 posts) can of course reply to posts as usual..."

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 12, 2015 16:09 as a reply to  @ Methodical's post |  #5

That's the old rules. Under AMASS, members with fewer than 30 days/30 posts can't even see FS: or WTB:.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

AV ­ Stills
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 12, 2015 17:02 |  #6

Jon wrote in post #17379355 (external link)
That's the old rules. Under AMASS, members with fewer than 30 days/30 posts can't even see FS: or WTB:.

Yea it sucks. I don't under why. It's crazy.

johnvanr
51 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 12, 2015 17:34 |  #7

That's why I can't find the forum, even though I've bought here in the past. Bummer.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 12, 2015 17:54 |  #8

AV Stills wrote in post #17379433 (external link)
Jon wrote in post #17379355 (external link)

Yea it sucks. I don't under why. It's crazy.

It's not crazy. Because we have had many, many zero-to-low-post-count scammers preying on people who'd advertised in the classifieds. That's why. The Marketplace has caused more work for the Moderators here than any other two areas of the entire forum (even under the old structure, with far fewer areas).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

AV ­ Stills
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 12, 2015 23:10 |  #9

Jon wrote in post #17379526 (external link)
It's not crazy. Because we have had many, many zero-to-low-post-count scammers preying on people who'd advertised in the classifieds. That's why. The Marketplace has caused more work for the Moderators here than any other two areas of the entire forum (even under the old structure, with far fewer areas).

Ah got it! Makes sense. Thanks

dringess
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 31, 2015 16:47 |  #10

johnvanr wrote in post #17379485 (external link)
That's why I can't find the forum, even though I've bought here in the past. Bummer.

Yeah, me too. I've been a member for several years, but rarely post. The buy/sell forums were one of the reasons I really liked this place. Too bad.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,753 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Jan 31, 2015 17:07 |  #11

dringess wrote in post #17408985 (external link)
Yeah, me too. I've been a member for several years, but rarely post. The buy/sell forums were one of the reasons I really liked this place. Too bad.

I really appreciate your time here. I do wonder though why in 7 years you have not found a need to do those 30+ posts... You know, posts would be a great to give something back to the community for using our free marketplace. Sharing knowledge, sharing photos, commenting photos or posts... there are tons of threads to participate, why not jump in?

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

coustang
30 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 03, 2015 12:36 |  #12

5 Year old account here with only 10 posts to date, kinda lame I need to make more posts to see the classifieds

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 03, 2015 12:53 |  #13

There is always craigslist and ebay and other sites. While it doesn't avoid problem people entirely, it does greatly reduce the scammers/spammers who tend to hit quick and move on to their next target. Just be thankful the rules don't require 30 posts a month to see the for sale section. More activity gives people a chance to get to know you and to get a feel for your credibility. Doesn't always work, but it does help.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 03, 2015 13:43 |  #14

Having bought and sold here I like the rule. It makes me feel a lot more comfortable knowing a I am selling to someone who is interested in photography vs wondering if someone setup their account only to try and scam me.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

RubberBiscuitz
30 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 03, 2015 18:08 as a reply to  @ coustang's post |  #15

Im in the same boat. Have bought few little items before, but through PM without any issues. I guess its a good thing since im building up my gear and dont want to get ripped off.

70D Gripped | Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Canon 55-250 IS | Nifty50 | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye | Canon 430EX II

sponsored links

8,760 views & 10 likes for this thread
Can you buy/sale gear here on POTN?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.