Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Someone has stolen my photos, what should I do?

5W0L3
998 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 03, 2015 09:19 |  #1

My photography page:

http://www.facebook.co​m/mjphotographysydney (external link)

This person has stolen an entire album from my page (and possibly photos from others as well) and labelled it as his/her own work.

https://www.facebook.c​om/SabounePhotography.​com.au (external link)

The album she has stolen from my page is "Disha's 21st Birthday". Is there anything I can do? Whats the best way to go about this.. I've never had anyone steal my images before so a bit unsure. Thanks for the help in advance!

Manav
5D III x 2 (gripped) | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 24-70mm IIL | 70-200mm IIL | Some strobes & some speedlights.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,199 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 03, 2015 09:30 |  #2

Wow.

- First, make sure you can prove they are yours.
- Second, report it to Facebook immediately.
- Third, get in touch with the culprit and let them know that the photos are yours and a re being used without your consent and that you have reported it to FB and demand they be taken down immediately or you will consult an attorney.
- Document everything.... Times and dates and pieces stolen and where they have shown up. Check their business site, if they have one. Google search their company and nome. Make sure you find all of their uses of you images.

Above all. Try to keep your cool and keep it businesslike. Make your intentions clear and concise.

Good luck!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2015 09:40 |  #3

And, save lots of screenshots.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 03, 2015 09:43 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Next also, put a watermark on your images so you can easily prove it's yours, doesn't stop them taking them, but makes it much more easier to prove

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 03, 2015 09:51 |  #5

nathancarter wrote in post #17458440 (external link)
And, save lots of screenshots.

That's right. Document it.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by jc1350.

Mar 03, 2015 17:32 |  #6

This seems to happen a lot. Is it a mental disorder? This and "stolen valor" - people claiming to being in the military, but never served or never served in the capacity they portray...I just don't get it.

The people at http://stopstealingpho​tos.com (external link) have no problem calling out people like this.

--
John

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
7,771 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 03, 2015 17:50 |  #7

Copy the whole webpage the album is on as well. In Firefox you can do this by simply hitting Control S, and then select "Webpage Complete" in the pull down menu that is brought up. That way, when she deletes the page, you will still have it documented.

Philip

crbinson
604 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 03, 2015 18:14 |  #8

Just curious...How did you find them?

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,306 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 03, 2015 20:20 |  #9

1. Contact the site mentioned by John above (Stop Stealing Photos, http://stopstealingpho​tos.com/ (external link)). It is always good to shine a spotlight of publicity on these people.

2. Contact Facebook - go to https://www.facebook.c​om/help/40028785002771​7/ (external link) to read up about reporting copyright infringement.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,790 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 03, 2015 23:18 |  #10

That's crazy. Definitely 'Wall of Shame' worthy. Didn't even rename the person or date.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 04, 2015 01:16 |  #11

Once you can prove it -- get that info to the authorities. there are heavy fines for intentional copyright infringement ... and you can get a piece of that action as well. Contact a copyright attorney for an explanation of your rights and ability to claim damages.

BUT :: Document it, Documents it, Document it !!! First and complete before anything else.

5W0L3
THREAD ­ STARTER
998 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 04, 2015 09:42 as a reply to  @ crbinson's post |  #12

A lady inbox messaged me on Facebook and told me that this person was stealing my photos (and they requested to be kept anonymous)

Manav
5D III x 2 (gripped) | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 24-70mm IIL | 70-200mm IIL | Some strobes & some speedlights.
Flickr (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Colin Glover. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2015 17:07 |  #13

Interesting. Photostealers can do a Google search on this photographer and see if anyone else has had phphotographs stolen. One thing I noticed is that you do a lot of Asian work, this other photographer doesn't, so I'm inclined to think they want to enter that market. Do you know how to do a Google search by image? Simply copy a few of his images that aren't yours to your hard drive. Open Google images and the folder you stored them in. Drag the image to the search box and it will search for other instances. You might be in for a slanging match if you get phostealers to out them, so you'll need extra proof the images are yours. Have you set your name in your camera's copyright menu? They'd have to prove otherwise. I think Photostealers and stop stealing photos are the same. They have a Facebook page too, but they've had to rename it to Photostealers I think.Good luck.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 06, 2015 17:47 |  #14

jc1350 wrote in post #17459146 (external link)
This seems to happen a lot. Is it a mental disorder? This and "stolen valor" - people claiming to being in the military, but never served or never served in the capacity they portray...I just don't get it.

I know what you mean. I was at the VFW with fellow retired Navy SEALS Brian Williams and Bill O'Reilly and we were talking about how much this bothers us.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 06, 2015 20:38 |  #15

I checked out the pictures on both pages. I noticed that yours were posted in July 2014 and the thief posted them March 2nd or something very recently. They also have been resized to a smaller size and have a watermark put on them. Obviously a way to try and make them seem like the thief owns the image. But the larger size and much earlier time posted points towards you as the original owner. Definitely report them as stolen to Facebook, attempt contact with the thief, and the Stop Stealing Photos group.

I am even considering writting the thief and mentioning that I saw the pictures last year on a FB page I follow. See what happens.

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

sponsored links

4,915 views & 7 likes for this thread
Someone has stolen my photos, what should I do?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.