Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 19:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D Troubleshooting

sdbshooter
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 03, 2015 19:14 |  #1

Hey everyone,
I am having some issues with my 60D and I'm hoping someone can help. Completely out of the blue, when I attach a wider-angle lens, looking through the viewfinder is like looking through a paper towel tube. Small circle in the center, sides blacked out. When I use a longer lens, there is a black shadow box around the edges of the frame in the viewfinder. I can snap a photo, and it is a full, clear frame - no shadows or black out. The shadows and "tunnel" vision throw off the auto-focus and tries to set off the auto-flash. Nothing seems to be out of order that I can see and nothing has happened to the camera, such as a drop or distress. Any help is greatly appreciated!

sponsored links
lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2015 21:16 |  #2

Have you checked in Live View mode? My guess is that since the pictures are OK, then the view in Live View mode will also be OK. Which would point to a problem with the mirror, prism, or viewfinder optics. You said autofocus (in non-Live View mode) is also not right, so I think that narrows it down to the mirror (the prism and viewfinder optics aren't part of auto-focus, as I understand it).

How does the mirror sound, when you take a picture (not in live-view mode)? In "B" mode, you can listen to the first part (mirror up, shutter open) and second part (shutter close, mirror down) separately. Does it sound normal?

JWdlft
316 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 04, 2015 07:11 |  #3

My first guess would be a stuck aperture on the lens, but then other lenses would act normally. So it sounds to me like the Depth of Field Preview button is pressed/stuck, though that should lock exposure.
As you look through the viewfinder, does the brightness change as you adjust the aperture from wide open to stopped down?
If it's not the button, maybe you need to clean the lens contact pins in the camera body. Gently, not with a pencil eraser; someone else may know a good way.
Good luck.

sdbshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 04, 2015 11:41 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #4

Thank you for your response. The view in Live mode is fine ... nice full frame, no shadows or tunnels with any lenses. I noticed today that with longer lenses and the square shadow box around the frame (through the viewfinder), I can almost see a small slither of light above the shadow line. Like something is dangling down and creating a black line through the top of the frame. And the camera sounds normal through the shutter open and close procedure.

sdbshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 04, 2015 11:43 as a reply to  @ JWdlft's post |  #5

Thank you for responding ... the brightness does not change as I adjust the aperture and I cleaned the contact pins before. I will try a more thorough cleaning though. I am completely baffled as to what it is. I wish I had a way to take a photo of what I see through the viewfinder so everyone could better understand.

number ­ six
"After 40 [50] years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 04, 2015 15:11 |  #6

sdbshooter wrote in post #17460351 (external link)
Thank you for responding ... the brightness does not change as I adjust the aperture and I cleaned the contact pins before. I will try a more thorough cleaning though. I am completely baffled as to what it is. I wish I had a way to take a photo of what I see through the viewfinder so everyone could better understand.

The brightness isn't supposed to change when you adjust the aperture - the aperture doesn't stop down until the shutter button is pushed. Anyway, stopping the aperture down won't have the effect you describe, it'll just make the image darker - you can see this by pushing the DOF preview button at the lower left side of the lens mount.

Your problem is obviously with the viewfinder - my guess is that the focus screen is not in its proper place.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

JWdlft
316 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 04, 2015 15:29 |  #7

That's the next point, checking the mirror and focus screen, that they're positioned properly and clean.

@Number six, if the DOF button is in a 'stuck' position, electronically, the aperture closes and opens when adjusted, making the viewfinder lighter or darker. Just one of the many things that are worth checking.

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 04, 2015 16:22 |  #8

Focus screen - yes, that's good, I didn't think if it. But that would do it, and even better it is likely something you can fix without a service call. Here is a Canon Learning Center document (PDF) (external link) about this.

sponsored links

1,521 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D Troubleshooting
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.