Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 07:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Circus

artyH
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 03, 2015 07:26 |  #1

I haven't been to the circus since my daughter was small, but we are going to take a trip with our grandson. What lens and camera recommendations can you make? When I shot film, I used an 85F1.7. Lighting is going to be variable, so I may want to use auto ISO, TV for sure.
I can take a crop or 6D. I have the 85F1.8, but nothing longer in a lens this fast. My lenses include the 24-105, but this is only F4.
Would this be fast enough for the circus on a crop body? I have the 60D.

sponsored links
pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 03, 2015 08:16 |  #2

Hard to say what aperture you might get away with. The acts in a circus might be very well lit, if it is a good circus. Or they might be very dim.

Rather than TV, I would recommend manual mode where you set the max aperture and max shutter speed (based on focal length) and let auto ISO worry about the exposure. You may end up with some shots at higher ISO than you would normally want, but that is better than not getting the shots. I have seen one photographer suggest setting negative EC in very dark settings, in order to help keep the shutter speed up, and then raising exposure in PP. Whether or not this works might depend on how your camera handles underexposure. I would be more confident with my 7DII than my 7D.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,653 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 03, 2015 08:33 |  #3

Take the 6D. Spot metering, Auto-ISO. You'll get more pixels on target with the 60D, but you might be hitting the ceiling with ISO 6400. (ISO 12800 is not acceptable for anything other than snapshots). You can push the 6D to ISO 25600.

Alternatively, you can rent a longer/faster lens.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sirquack
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 03, 2015 14:10 |  #4

Agree with the above, take the 6D and the 24-105. Yes the F4 is a little slow, but it give you extra range. I have used my 70-200 F4 at concerts and gotten decent images because the 6D is able to push ISO. I would also concur with the M settings and you can make sure you are running fast enough shutter to stop the action. You only need about 1/250 to stop action of something coming right at you. So if it is relatively static, you can run 1/125th or so and still get the best exposure. And frankly one side benefit of the 6d if it does get dark, is that center focus point can almost see in the dark. You can always change the composition in post from a center point focus look, but that center focus point will help you tremendously if the lighting is poor.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Copper ­ NYC
397 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 03, 2015 18:46 |  #5

I would check the arena that the circus is preforming in, this is from Barclay Center in Brooklyn NY
CAMERAS WITH EXTERNAL FLASH OR INTERCHANGEABLE LENSES (NO PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY)

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 03, 2015 19:20 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I really do mean this with all the respect due a grandfather taking his daughter's kid to the circus. Take a P&S. Capture a few memories. Leave the big guns at home and enjoy the kid, the daughter, and the show. Thirty years from now he won't give two hoots about the quality of the shots, but he'll be glad you took them.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 03, 2015 20:31 |  #7

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17459333 (external link)
I really do mean this with all the respect due a grandfather taking his daughter's kid to the circus. Take a P&S. Capture a few memories. Leave the big guns at home and enjoy the kid, the daughter, and the show. Thirty years from now he won't give two hoots about the quality of the shots, but he'll be glad you took them.

+1

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 03, 2015 22:31 |  #8

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17459333 (external link)

Not bad advice, assuming 1) he has a P&S, and 2) he will be allowed to use the flash that it would probably need.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,866 posts
Gallery: 2026 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 03, 2015 23:00 |  #9

Hrm,

If I were going to a circus and it was ok to take a big SLR and big lens and all that, no fuss, I'd go for the camera with the best ISO performance and ceilling, and either a telephoto with a wide aperture, or a wide lens. I'd want both probably. Telephoto with fast aperture for detail shots of animals, animators, performers, etc. Wide for context and overall capture of everything (even a fun fisheye would be a good time here).

If I were going and didn't want to lug all that, I'd just take a little mirrorless like an EOS-M, with a little wide lens and just enjoy context photos (I'd want an 8mm fisheye with it for example for fun circus context photos of all).

In your case, both SLR's available, I'd take the 6D without a question, for ISO performance. Then figure out your lens situation. Shooting at ISO 12,800 is possible with that camera and they be still very decent and workable, so F4 isn't a limitation for light gathering. Makes lens selection easier.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 04, 2015 03:15 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

pknight wrote in post #17459584 (external link)
Not bad advice, assuming 1) he has a P&S, and 2) he will be allowed to use the flash that it would probably need.

True. But not really my point. The kid will remember grandpa if grandpa is part of making the experience memorable. Fiddling with a camera, changing lenses, and trying to protect it from spilled drinks and grubby fingers necessarily means grandpa is spending time with a camera that would be better spent with family.

I'm not knocking cameras or photography. I take lots of shots of my grandkids' sports and activities. I take them while they are playing, or prepping, or post game activities. The grandkid(s?) here won't be participating in anything. The way I see it, grandpa can either enjoy the circus with family, or he can get photos of his daughter and grandson doing so. He can be part of the event, or he can document it. I still remember my grandfather taking me fishing and letting me sip his beer, or turn green puffing his cigar. No photos involved. Good memories 50+ years on, though. He was fishing with me, not taking pictures of me fishing. Big difference.

artyH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 04, 2015 07:47 |  #11

My old point and shoot tops out at ISO 400. That is going to be a problem for the circus. I plan to call the arena later this morning to try to find out if I can tote my SLR.

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 04, 2015 08:22 |  #12

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17459797 (external link)
True. But not really my point. The kid will remember grandpa if grandpa is part of making the experience memorable. Fiddling with a camera, changing lenses, and trying to protect it from spilled drinks and grubby fingers necessarily means grandpa is spending time with a camera that would be better spent with family.

I'm not knocking cameras or photography. I take lots of shots of my grandkids' sports and activities. I take them while they are playing, or prepping, or post game activities. The grandkid(s?) here won't be participating in anything. The way I see it, grandpa can either enjoy the circus with family, or he can get photos of his daughter and grandson doing so. He can be part of the event, or he can document it. I still remember my grandfather taking me fishing and letting me sip his beer, or turn green puffing his cigar. No photos involved. Good memories 50+ years on, though. He was fishing with me, not taking pictures of me fishing. Big difference.

I understand what you are saying, and I don't necessarily disagree for myself. However, the OP was asking for advice about taking photos at a circus, not advice on his relationship with his grandchild. Whenever somebody asks for input on gear to take on a vacation, people pitch in with well-meaning advice to forget the photos and enjoy the kids. I don't think that answers the OP's question, and I suspect that the OP is capable of deciding what is appropriate for him and his grandchild, and how his time is best spent.

Again, I have the same opinions as you expressed wrt what I would do at a circus with my grandkids, but I am not the OP, and he can work those issues out on his own, or on a grandparenting forum. :-)

artyH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 04, 2015 09:54 as a reply to  @ pknight's post |  #13

I called the arena and booking agents for the circus, and there are no prohibitions about cameras. Not surprisingly, they don't want flash. I can see the value of the 24-105 and the 6D, but I wonder about image quality with ISOs over 6400 and F4. I may try some quick experiments in advance of the show, but I would be hate to be over ISO 12800. An initial check showed a loss of color quality when you go that high.
My wife already told me that I am expected to get photos of my grandson, preferably riding on an elephant.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 04, 2015 15:12 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

pknight wrote in post #17460079 (external link)
I understand what you are saying, and I don't necessarily disagree for myself. However, the OP was asking for advice about taking photos at a circus, not advice on his relationship with his grandchild. Whenever somebody asks for input on gear to take on a vacation, people pitch in with well-meaning advice to forget the photos and enjoy the kids. I don't think that answers the OP's question, and I suspect that the OP is capable of deciding what is appropriate for him and his grandchild, and how his time is best spent.

Again, I have the same opinions as you expressed wrt what I would do at a circus with my grandkids, but I am not the OP, and he can work those issues out on his own, or on a grandparenting forum. :-)

Thanks for pointing that out. Point taken. Apologies all around. I was out of line.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 04, 2015 16:38 |  #15

artyH wrote in post #17460048 (external link)
My old point and shoot tops out at ISO 400. That is going to be a problem for the circus. I plan to call the arena later this morning to try to find out if I can tote my SLR.

I do believe this is a great case to own something like the LX100, which takes pictures that won't make you cry. Not cheap, though. And I imagine they might be ok with an SLR that had one lens; the concern might be about big bags of equipment. Certainly there are superzoom P&Ss that are pretty big.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

sponsored links

3,836 views & 2 likes for this thread
Circus
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.