Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Feb 2015 (Sunday) 13:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help Please - Not Sharp ?

aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 12, 2015 10:38 as a reply to  @ post 17428049 |  #31

Thanks to all those that responded concerning ad/dis for leaving IS on for faster SS. I guess the best way is to just play around with the settings and see the outcome with my setup.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

sponsored links
BB ­ Snapshots
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 13, 2015 20:12 as a reply to  @ post 17428049 |  #32

Good points - luckily I sold my IS lenses so I don't need to worry about it anymore :-P

Brian Buckler
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Brian Buckler Photography (external link) | Like my page on Facebook! (external link)

Buick ­ M
81 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 04, 2015 00:02 |  #33

I still have a hard time seeing how the original picture was shot at F/14 and still have a relatively shallow DOF. Those gray blocks behind them look pretty soft for f14 and they don't appear to be that far away.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 04, 2015 08:44 |  #34

Buick M wrote in post #17459700 (external link)
I still have a hard time seeing how the original picture was shot at F/14 and still have a relatively shallow DOF. Those gray blocks behind them look pretty soft for f14 and they don't appear to be that far away.

Even at f/14 the DOF at that range is only around 9-10 inches, with maybe 6 inches of that behind the plane of focus. Those blocks look more than 6 inches away so yes, they should look pretty soft.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 04, 2015 09:35 |  #35

OP, Those last to shots look *much* better. The difference is striking when moving from the original image to those next two!!! Seems folks have lead you (and me) in the proper direction. I'm shooting with a 6D and have been gradually trying higher ISO settings to up my shutter speed...keepers seem to be getting more frequent (just not getting to shoot much :( ).

One note on the original image...the sharpest point I can readily find is on the second section of the gloved middle finger of the handler...seems there would be plenty of DOF there at f/14, but it seems rather shallow.

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,453 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 07, 2015 09:55 |  #36

Permission to repost an edited version of your original shot?

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

gschlact
1,317 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by gschlact.

Mar 12, 2015 18:24 as a reply to  @ Radtech1's post |  #37

In your first shot, were were in Zone auto focus and got two active Af points. The camera averaged the distance to about mid-snout. In the second, I don't know where your Af point landed, but you have a bunch of front focus. . Look at the paw on our right and the ground in front of it. They are sharpest.

I would get image that in the first shot, you would want to shift the dof back about 4.5 inches. . Add +8 To mfa your lens which should be perfect. This is based on everyone saying total dof is about 9inches. 8 units is 1/2 total dof.

Also, I suggest getting out of zone af and Use single point Af so you actually Know where the Camera is focusing.

Good luck.

sponsored links

7,586 views & 25 likes for this thread
Help Please - Not Sharp ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.