Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 13 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 17:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving from Canon to Olympus

callaesthetics
257 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 29, 2015 00:27 |  #16

My Olympus em10 system compliments my DSLR system, i still use the DSLR for work & important projects. The em10 serves as my travel and general use camera. The two system compliments each other very well.

5DmkIII, 200 2.8L II, 135L, 100L, 50L, 35L, 40 2.8,17-40L, Tamron 45
www.facebook.com/camxi​ongphotographer

sponsored links
Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 08, 2015 11:34 |  #17

I'm moving in the same direction. I shot with an E-PL5 for a while as a second system but the lack of viewfinder meant it was never a serious contender. But the Canon gear has seen less and less use since I got the E-M10.

I'm completely in love with the E-M10. Image quality (especially Oly colours), portability and features are fantastic; AF is surprisingly excellent, and the M43 lens lineup just keeps getting better. Focus peaking and EVF magnification are things I can't live without anymore, especially with adapted lenses. Most importantly, the camera makes me want to shoot with it all the time. It's made photography even more enjoyable.

I don't think I'll ever sell the 5D + 50L + 400 5.6L, but the 85LII is already sold and the 135L and 24-105L might be on their way out soon.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Antarion
104 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 09, 2015 08:44 |  #18

Always interested in hearing opinions on this subject. I still don't know if I should buy a OM-D10 or not. Because I want good lenses with it, its not really cheap (7-14, 12-35, 35-100 and a few cheap primes) on top of my current big fullframe gear.
I just don't know if I would really be happy with M43. I love low light shots, i love subject seperation and I love doing landscapes with good resolution.

I wonder if OM-D10 + 35-100 is as much fun and similar quality as Canon 70-200II? That would be a big difference in size and if the shots are comparable, I might be tempted...

MarkoPolo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited over 4 years ago by MarkoPolo.

Feb 09, 2015 16:31 as a reply to  @ Antarion's post |  #19

I would say the 40-150 f/2.8 pro is the equal of the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 II I used to own. Not sure I would choose the OM-D10 over the E-M1 for that use.

Mark

Olympus OM-D E-M1 pro body, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro lens, M.Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED SWD lens, M. Zuiko EC-14 1.4 Teleconverter, M. Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens, M.Zuiko 9-18mm f/4-5.6 lens, M. Zuiko 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II lens, Canon 400mm f/5.6 L lens with Canon to OLympus converter, Nissin Di-466 Flash

Antarion
104 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 10, 2015 05:02 as a reply to  @ MarkoPolo's post |  #20

Well thinking of the OM-D5II for myself and OM-D10 for my gf.

But like I said, I need to get my hands on it first before I can really say the "downsides" are enough for me to switch. (Or keep a pretty limited FF gear for weddings and backup stuff)

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 10, 2015 09:33 |  #21

Antarion wrote in post #17425033 (external link)
Well thinking of the OM-D5II for myself and OM-D10 for my gf.

But like I said, I need to get my hands on it first before I can really say the "downsides" are enough for me to switch. (Or keep a pretty limited FF gear for weddings and backup stuff)

IMO the so-called "downsides" are overblown. The difference between M43 and APS-C is miniscule. Between M43 and 35mm full frame it's a bit bigger, but nowhere near the difference between say 35mm and medium format. There's definitely more noise and less detail but not much. This is counterbalanced by great dynamic range in the RAWs, and Oly colours are so much better than Canon's.

In-body IS and fast primes make low-light totally doable. Slap a Nokton or Nocticron on that baby & watch it scream in dim light.

Subject separation is easy with fast primes. With mirrorless you can also adapt lenses from basically any other system, including Canon. Even the 20mm f/1.7 gives lovely subject separation wide open. I don't like zooms, but if they are a must for you then it's true f/2.8 won't get you quite as narrow a DOF as on 35mm.

Landscapes with good resolution - how big do you print? M43 sensor does a great job with detail. 35mm is better if you pixel peep, but you shouldn't pixel peep. The best part is you can carry a smaller tripod, kit and Lee Filters set for long treks.

AF is remarkably good. Tracking is not as good as Canon for subjects moving towards you, but my E-M10 + 14-42 EZ kit lens locks focus faster than my old 1D Mark III + 135L. No exaggeration, it blew me away. But lens matters: the 20 1.7 AF is slow as hell. For MF, magnification + focus peaking make the optical viewfinder on 35mm seem so inadequate even with a custom focus screen. Let's not even talk about APS-C viewfinders.

And of course the E-M10/E-M5 are incredibly customizable and SO COMPACT. I carry it w/ 20 1.7 attached + an extra lens and battery in a bag that's about the same size as the 5D body.

Apologies for coming across as a bit of an Olympus fanboy, but I genuinely love this system. It's the most fun I've had with photography for a long time and I'm very, very picky about gear.

Here are the biggest downsides for me, to counter the gushing above:

- Battery life. EVF drains battery like a mofo.
- Buffer. SD card instead of CF card means full burst doesn't last that long before hitting a write speed bottleneck.
- Lowest native ISO of 200. This is pretty annoying sometimes, and you lose a lot of DR by using pulling expanded ISO down to 100.
- Build quality. Decent, but don't expect Leica or Canon L ruggedness. I use my E-M10 most of the time but still grab the Canon + Ls if I need solid gear that won't die if smashed into things (I once used the 1DsII to prevent myself from sliding down a mountain, it made a pretty decent ice pick :lol: )

In summary, if APS-C is good enough for you, M43 will be too. And APS-C to 35mm is not that huge of a difference either. If you REALLY need top quality detail and subject separation go medium format :p, but from a photographer's perspective rather than a gearhead's, the OM-D system is a dream come true.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

DutchinCLE
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 12, 2015 07:14 |  #22

I'm waiting for some more "real world" reviews of the OM-D EM-5ii. The in body stabilization, the articulating screen (i don't want to be rolling on the ground anymore for low shots) and the ability for VERY HIGH resolution files is pulling me towards it. I find myself leaving my DSLR at home when going places let alone dragging a tripod along. I'm thinking of keeping my Canon (in case I need it) but use the Oly for day to day stuff. Next decision, which lenses :)

Bas
Flickr (external link)

Strick
536 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 12, 2015 07:37 |  #23

Camera Store TV has a review up (I like their reviews), looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=0uQKYgQaNHQ (external link)

www.strickphotography.​com (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 20, 2015 11:56 |  #24

John_N wrote in post #17347821 (external link)
I may be missing something but why bother with metabones?
The point of MFT to me is to keep it small and light - why bold on a Canon lens? I often find its not the body but the lens that makes DSLR so large and heavy.

I have been reading about the metabones speed booster with great fascination, and although the technology is phenomenal I've come to the same conclusion as you have. I see the appeal of using it on a GH4 for video but not so much for stills.

bsmotril wrote in post #17392457 (external link)
I use plenty of 4/3 lenses. But the bokeh and focus isolation one can get with a cheap Canon 85 F1.8 and a metabones is magic to my eyes. Therein lies the beauty of 4/3......for about 1/3 the cost of what a Canon 50mm F1.2L would cost, I can get the same effect with an M43, Canon glass I already had, and the speedbooster. IT is also pretty awesome to put the 100-400L zoom on their too and shoot some birds outside.

I see what you're saying, but your math isn't right. First on price, you've gotta compare apples to apples. Canon 50L = ~$1500 new. Canon 85 1.8 = ~$420 new. Metabones EF-M4/3 Speed booster = ~$600 new. So the price of the lens + adapter is more than 2/3 that of the 50L.

Second you don't get the "same effect" as the 50L on full frame, as your focal length and 35mm equiv field of view is quite a bit longer. The speed booster from EF->M4/3 doesn't offset the crop factor entirely, so you don't end up with a full frame field of view; you end up with close to an APS-C field of view. So that 85mm lens ends up getting you about a 135mm (35mm equiv) FOV. Hardly the same effect as the 50L.

On a related note, the 2x crop factor makes this a kick-ass portrait lens with a standard cheap adapter. (Excuse the quality; shot with my phone).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

bbarnett51
286 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 25, 2015 06:49 |  #25

I want to switch to Oly SOOOOOO bad. BUT my passion is wildlife photography. I shoot lots of birds with a Canon 7D Sigma 150-500. I can't find enough positive reviews on this type of photography. Very tired of lugging this gear around even though I love this setup.

Canon 7D, Sigma BigmOS. various canon and sigma lenses, Speedlite 430EX ii, Promaster SystemPRO 2n tripod/Manfrotto Joystick Head. Delkin Compact Flash Cards.

MarkoPolo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 25, 2015 17:19 |  #26

My experience is that Oly is improving their ability to track birds in flight. A new firmware update was released yesterday and the first reports seem very positive in tracking improvement. I have not had a chance to update and try-it but will in the next week or two. When the 300mm f/4 Pro lens is released this year, I think it will be very good for birds in flight. Honestly, the only Canon body that really nailed them for me was the old 10D. My 30D and 7D, not so much. Probably user error on my part, but I never could afford the super telephoto lenses that Canon is known for, the old 400 f/5.6 was as close as I could get and it would not autofocus at all with a teleconverter.

Mark

Olympus OM-D E-M1 pro body, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro lens, M.Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED SWD lens, M. Zuiko EC-14 1.4 Teleconverter, M. Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens, M.Zuiko 9-18mm f/4-5.6 lens, M. Zuiko 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II lens, Canon 400mm f/5.6 L lens with Canon to OLympus converter, Nissin Di-466 Flash

bbarnett51
286 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 28, 2015 08:29 |  #27

I'm happy with my 7d. It locks on super fast. I think there is definite room on the tracking part. I'm interested in the 300f4 as well. I was making a video of Egrets feeding the other day. My arms were cramping bc i was shooting with my 7D and Sigma 150-500 handheld for 2 hrs.

Canon 7D, Sigma BigmOS. various canon and sigma lenses, Speedlite 430EX ii, Promaster SystemPRO 2n tripod/Manfrotto Joystick Head. Delkin Compact Flash Cards.

Thomas-I
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Feb 28, 2015 12:34 |  #28

I really do like my 60 D. But for travelling I prefer my pen E-PL 3 with the Sigma 19 and 30 mm lens, just because of its small size. The E-M 10 is really tempting me. And the images, captured with it, I saw up to now, are promissing.

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by bidkev. (2 edits in all)

Mar 02, 2015 02:46 |  #29

I own a 7d and 5D mk 3 but am tired of humping a lot of weight around. I was going to sell up and go Olympus OMD5 but after buying the Olympus, I couldn't bear to part with my Canon gear. It will be relegated to the car boot for landscape work when out driving and Olympus will be used for street. That said, I'm rather happy with the landscape images it is producing, so much so that I've manged to find another body new for A$500. I bought the 3 lens kit initially for $987...........40 -150..........14 - 42 and the superb 45mm 1.8 so thought another body was affordable. Took it out yesterday for the first time and was pleasantly surprised.............​.and..............I've also found a mint zuiko 70-300 from Japan for $230 postage free.

First image out of the camera

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8661/16069809384_756683ab37_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qu2Y​t3  (external link) Mt Mee Scene , Queensland, Australia (external link) by bidkev1 and son (see profile) (external link), on Flickr

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 04, 2015 09:37 |  #30

I shoot a lot of Rollerderby (Indoor, poor lighting, fast action, quickly changing velocity vectors). I have been using mainly Canon 5D3, 1D4, and recently a 1DX. I've had an Olympus EM-1 since they came out and had tried if for derby, with lousy results since the continuous AF tracking was pretty useless. I just installed the V3 firmware update and gave the EM1 another go this past weekend. The results are pretty amazing, the focus tracking now works, and works well! I was using mainly face priority, and got best results when I set the AF option for Target activity level from high down to normal. At high, the AF point kept jumping around to different skaters. I have posted 2 comparison galleries online in the Rollerderby2015 group at the link below, the camera type is in the gallery name. I was using OCF (2 alien Bee 800s for fill flash), I had a flash misfire and on one of the images from the EM1 I did a +4 stop exposure recovery and got a useful image from the RAW which was almost completely dark. With the Canon, +3 is the best you can hope for. The hit rate was not as high as the Canon, but it is an order of magnitude better than what it was with the old firmware. Even with face priority, I still had some shots where the AF locked on the signs or banners in the background. The lighting in this venue was not good, color cycling metal halides may have been a factor. Here are the links to the two sample galleries where you can compare the 1DX to the EM-1. Oly lens was the 12-40F2.8 pro shot at 1/400 vs the 1Dx 1/250 highest flash sync speed.

http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/f272114211 (external link)

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

9,587 views & 7 likes for this thread
Moving from Canon to Olympus
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.