Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 04, 2015 20:23 |  #2026

So I post pictures and all I get is RUN-RETURN-REALLY? That's it? HMMMM-?

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,389 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 04, 2015 20:31 |  #2027

britt777 wrote in post #17461012 (external link)
So I post pictures and all I get is RUN-RETURN-REALLY? That's it? HMMMM-?

Why do you think your 1D3 does so well?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

rejay14
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 04, 2015 20:37 |  #2028

Nope, that's not it. You are here use other's experiences with the same issue and use them to assist you in making decisions and lessen the stress of doing so. Don't read my trials and tribulations and do what you want. Nobody's forcing you to. We are all here to help, for free, if you want it.

It can be an effective doorstop too.

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 x 4 with too many modifiers http:// …www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by huntersdad.

Mar 04, 2015 20:40 |  #2029

britt777 wrote in post #17460985 (external link)
yes i used center point they are cropped

What lens are you trying to MA and at what distance? Also, single center point? What AF mode and case?

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 04, 2015 21:02 |  #2030

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17461022 (external link)
Why do you think your 1D3 does so well?

pictures are just sharper and IQ looks much better

Brittany

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 04, 2015 21:18 |  #2031

britt777 wrote in post #17461055 (external link)
pictures are just sharper and IQ looks much better

First, replied.

Second, having had a 1D3, this camera will run circles around it if you put a little time into getting it setup right for your use and are willing to lean the camera.

Facebook (external link)

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 04, 2015 21:51 |  #2032

huntersdad wrote in post #17461080 (external link)
First, replied.

Second, having had a 1D3, this camera will run circles around it if you put a little time into getting it setup right for your use and are willing to lean the camera.

Replied.

I know the camera can run circles around the 1D3 as far as AF system is concerned when and if working properly but need to get things focused first and so far thats not happening.

Brittany

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 05, 2015 06:12 |  #2033

I've been following this thread because I knew I would be buying a 7DMKII at some point, and delayed my purchase worrying about these focus issues. With the recent price drop I pulled the trigger and now I have one. The weather is crap and I haven't had much time to do anything yet. But I did fire off a few shots of our cats in the house and everything looks good so far. I was pretty impressed that I was shooting with my 70-200mm wide open at f/2.8 with ISO at 3200 and exposure at 1/80 (handheld), and getting good shots. And man, is this thing fast! It didn't take much noise reduction at all in Lightroom to clean up the photo. I'll do more testing & shooting this weekend when it's supposed to be sunny, as well as MFA my 70-200. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any issues!

7DMKII, 5DMKII, Canon 17-40L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 70-200mmL f/2.8 II, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Zeiss ZE 50mm Makro Planar, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC, Canon 2X III TC, 580EX II x2, YN560, RF603's
My Smugmug (external link) | Flickr (external link)

habenero
234 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 05, 2015 08:30 |  #2034

This thread is like an energizer....keeps going and going. New players jumping in.
I can cut some slack on #1 body having some issues but the replacement better work. You guys that are on #3, #4 etc... well that's just not something I'd deal with. This body, nor any really is just not that good to have to put that much effort into.

Personally, I made the move to a d750 and am pretty stoked. Thanks guys for all the help.. Forum is a great place to learn and will continue to participate here, albeit from the other sideline :)

Randy

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 05, 2015 09:03 |  #2035

I've helped several people here get their's functioning and am trying to help several others. But there's a couple issues that seem to keep popping up that need to be addressed.

1. AF MA - I could care less what method you use, but be consistent. You can't jump around from this to that and expect consistent results as variables change. Personally, I use Dot Tune and can do a lens in under 5 mintues.

2. While we are on the topic of AFMA, outside is always preferred because of better lighting and, therefore, higher shutter speeds. Keep in mind that there is a huge factor outside that can really throw your adjustment off - the wind. Even the slightest breeze with my 600 can throw off getting an accurate adjustment because it creates slight movement in the lens during focusing. My work around? Take the hood off or shoot from a sheltered position.

3. Make sure your test subject has sufficient contrast. If you read though this thread, you'll see, repeatedly, that many of us suggest using a cereal box with the ingredients showing. The reason is black and white are highly contrasting, therefore an easy target to use. Also, cereal boxes are relatively flat so the likelihood of the AF system picking up something in front of or behind the box is highly unlikely.

4. Do the calculation to know at what distance you should be conducting your test. Canon suggests 50 times FL. For my 600, that's roughly 40 yards. Because I know that lens, I can easily do it at a much shorter distance and get the same adjustment. Your lens may or may not be like that. Also understand that you should do your adjustment at a distance that will be used. In the example above, I do my 600 at 40 yards because I know I will be shooting at distances closer and longer than that so it works. If you're never going to use your 70-200 beyond 10 yards (30 ft), then you might consider doing the adjustment at 7-8ft, instead of the 32.5 Canon suggests. Of course, that could put you in a situation where it is off outside of that range.

5. Most importantly, be patient. Take some images with the camera before you go down the AFMA road. Your camera/lens combo may not even need it or one combo may, while another doesn't. All of my lenses or lens/TC combos needed some, but it was minor (less than 5 increments either way).

4 tries is what it took me to get to this point. I stuck with the body because I think it is worth it. I still do. Will it replace my 1Dx? Not a chance. But it is well worth the time and effort to give the camera a serious shot. If you have a bad one, I'll tell you to return it/send it back/send it to Canon. But I think that those getting new bodies now should be in the clear and you just have to learn it's likes and dislikes and get it dialed in for your shooting.

If you are struggling and need some help, shoot me a PM. I'll do my best, even give you my cell number to call. If you're local, I can meet you.

Facebook (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,389 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 05, 2015 09:20 |  #2036

habenero wrote in post #17461596 (external link)
I can cut some slack on #1 body having some issues but the replacement better work. You guys that are on #3, #4 etc... well that's just not something I'd deal with. This body, nor any really is just not that good to have to put that much effort into.

I have to say, I TOTALLY agree! I just don't understand why any camera body would require SO MUCH work to simply focus correctly.

How can it be explained that some of the lucky owners take their 7D2 out of the box and boom! it actually works?

I give you patient folks all the props in the world.

Huntersdad - big props to you for trying so valiantly to help folks recover their ailing 7D2.

Paul
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

WaterBoy2090
175 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 05, 2015 09:22 as a reply to  @ huntersdad's post |  #2037

I think you've helped more than several people; as one of those who has benefited from your input, thank you! :-D

7D Mark II
10-18 f4.5-5.6 is, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L is II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L is II, TC1.4, & 430EX II

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 05, 2015 09:43 |  #2038

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17461658 (external link)
I have to say, I TOTALLY agree! I just don't understand why any camera body would require SO MUCH work to simply focus correctly.

How can it be explained that some of the lucky owners take their 7D2 out of the box and boom! it actually works?

I give you patient folks all the props in the world.

Huntersdad - big props to you for trying so valiantly to help folks recover their ailing 7D2.

I don't think it's so much that the camera is "ailing", as much as it's so different. If you think back to the 7d release, it had it's set of problems too. The issue, IMO, is that people have compared it to the 1Dx, which, in turn, was compared to the 5d3. All three cameras have different AF systems, similar but different. They don't react the same way to the same situation and that's something that took me time to learn. Once I learned that fact and quit trying to make my 7d2 a "mini" version of my 1Dx, it started singing.

It just takes some time and patience. Yes, there are bad copies out there, but overall, I think most are fine. I also don't think the term "user error" is correct as much as it is misunderstanding due to lack of really explaining by Canon. The AF white pages are good, but they do very little to really explain the cases and you have to pick a case. The system is complicated, but not rocket science.

Facebook (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,389 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by ptcanon3ti.

Mar 05, 2015 09:49 |  #2039

huntersdad wrote in post #17461694 (external link)
I don't think it's so much that the camera is "ailing", as much as it's so different. If you think back to the 7d release, it had it's set of problems too. The issue, IMO, is that people have compared it to the 1Dx, which, in turn, was compared to the 5d3. All three cameras have different AF systems, similar but different. They don't react the same way to the same situation and that's something that took me time to learn. Once I learned that fact and quit trying to make my 7d2 a "mini" version of my 1Dx, it started singing.

It just takes some time and patience. Yes, there are bad copies out there, but overall, I think most are fine. I also don't think the term "user error" is correct as much as it is misunderstanding due to lack of really explaining by Canon. The AF white pages are good, but they do very little to really explain the cases and you have to pick a case. The system is complicated, but not rocket science.

I'm not trying to be an antagonist at all. I don't know sometimes how the written word comes across...But do you thing they have over complicated the 7D2 as far as focus system is concerned?

I mean wouldn't it be nice if they used the 1Dx focus system instead? The 1 Dx is proven and renowned. Why goof around with it when already had a winner of a system? I just don't understand it.

Paul
Body - Nikon D750

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 05, 2015 10:06 |  #2040

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17461702 (external link)
I'm not trying to be an antagonist at all. I don't know sometimes how the written word comes across...But do you thing they have over complicated the 7D2 as far as focus system is concerned?

I mean wouldn't it be nice if they used the 1Dx focus system instead? The 1 Dx is proven and renowned. Why goof around with it when already had a winner of a system? I just don't understand it.

I think they tried to make a 1Dx version for a cropped body shooting 10 frames a second. I think they got it 90% right.

The issue is the system seems overly sensitive to movement in it's predictions. It seem to think that going from a stand still to flat out movement is a consistent process - rate at the beginning, the middle and the end are all the same. That's not correct. I think that's why you are seeing people shooting moving objects miss 1 or 2, get 1 or 2, and then miss again. It misses from overpredicting, then the subject catches up to the prediction, then the prediction slows but the bird speeds up. This is why I have mentioned on here to let the AF track for a split second before hitting the shutter button. The camera builds a database of information with critical movement data in it and the more points it can analyze, the more accurate it is.

I wouldn't say it's overly complicated, just poorly communicated. Part of this Canon not telling and part is Canon protecting their system. There's a level to which I understand this as a business practice and I'm OK with. But there's a part that is poor customer service.

A great example is the cases. For a long time, it was assumed that all the cases were the same, just the user settings were tweaked. Recently, it's come out, and I have verified, that this is not true. Each case has differing underlying algorithms that aren't tweakable, but the same changeable ones. I knew this from basic logic of learning the cases and testing, but it was nice to hear a higher up with Canon say it. Would have been easier if they just said to begin with and tried to hide it.

End of the day, a good copy of this camera will sing - once it's setup to your liking and shooting preferences.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,410,587 views & 2,732 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.