Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 28 Feb 2015 (Saturday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

<Second Shooter> Julian + Sharon Wedding

*Knowledge*
980 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 28, 2015 15:18 |  #1

Hi guys, been awhile since I've been here let alone shooting, unfortunately... but luckily I was available when a seasoned pro asked for some help, WooHoo!

Here are some of my 'lightly edited' shots from the day, I wasn't hired for PS work so there's obvious areas where the clone tool will be needed.

Critiques welcome anyway!

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7577/16017215062_938c04a3cc_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7537/15830651060_834b288fea_b.jpg

3.Here's an example where the clone tool would help lol.
IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7537/15992080776_7ee4295ae7_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8568/16017169792_b25b3362a0_c.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7508/15830468898_00c90ab359_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7565/15832122557_9dcf41ed68_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7500/15830605850_16f1fd25f4_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7576/15992073816_ef5e65e6fc_b.jpg

I'm Preston & I pretend to know what I'm doing but I really just wing it.
Gear List

sponsored links
jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 02, 2015 07:55 |  #2

Overall very nice, just have to think about the distractions that are fighting the viewer away from the subject.

1. The OOF area being the foreground and so bright draws you away from the reflection. A tighter shot just over the shoulder of the groom might of been another direction to go in.

2. Blown highlights are a tricky subject, back lighting blown out is generally acceptable, dresses, shirts, faces etc. are not. They don't look to far gone either so you might be able to rescue them in post.

3. Love this, yes clone tool it. Another direction to have gone in would of been get closer have a wider angle lens, that would of made that distance between the bride a groom seem even further apart, and gotten rid of that bannister rail? at the same time.

4. The doorway in the back is a distraction, the bit of the bouquet... either have it all or get rid of it entirely. You could almost crop the entire top half of that picture and just make it about the reflection, the doorway still is a pain though.

5. The clone tool can't save this picture, you are just in the wrong place, you could of either gone further out and made the microphone a smaller distraction, or much closer in past the microphone. These shots are always a pain, and on the day you get what you are given regarding where you are able to stand etc.

6. Smushing of faces... I bet the moment just after was better, when they giggled at each other... Keep working those moments and see what else comes out of them. Compositionally and lighting is fine I just think there was a better moment in there somewhere.

7. Fingers growing out of her head and the veil covering her face a little too much, lifting her chin up, lowering his hand, maybe even having him pull the veil out of her face, would add some nice gesture. Clean his face up, that acne/rash is not a permanent feature of the groom, so I see no reason why you can't get rid of it.

8. I like this, just wish you could see the grooms face as well.

Don't show people unfinished work, if you know it needs doing, just do it. Even if you are handing the main your raw files, you want us to critique your finished work and not have us tell you what you already know you need to do.

Overall the clients I am sure will be very happy with the pictures you have produced, and they are the ones that count, all of my critique is very nit picky, I also understand that you can only work with what you are given and sometimes the luxury of choice is removed entirely.

Keep going in the direction you are heading, its good work and with some more experience it will get better.

*Knowledge*
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 02, 2015 19:47 |  #3

Thank you for taking the time to reply, very much appreciated. I can definitely say that during the shoot(s) I look out for some distractions but don't notice as many as you pointed out or like you said it can depend on where you're allowed to stand. Either way they're definitely distractions.

Thank you again, next time I won't be so lazy in post lol.

Gear List

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 06, 2015 13:37 |  #4

I'll keep it simple. If you're the 2nd Shooter then who was the primary!? These are great. Absolutely love the last one and being the Bride's day I like just seeing her, personally.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

visionphotography
28 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Mar 06, 2015 19:56 |  #5

Well done! I would use you for my wedding!

Photographer Wellington (external link)
Facebook (external link)

*Knowledge*
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 12, 2015 13:58 |  #6

visionphotography wrote in post #17463932 (external link)
Well done! I would use you for my wedding!

_aravena wrote in post #17463542 (external link)
I'll keep it simple. If you're the 2nd Shooter then who was the primary!? These are great. Absolutely love the last one and being the Bride's day I like just seeing her, personally.

Thanks for the kind words!

Gear List

sponsored links

2,131 views & 1 like for this thread
<Second Shooter> Julian + Sharon Wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.