Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 08 Mar 2015 (Sunday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I still can't cope with the design

this thread is locked
Petersman
148 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 08, 2015 17:07 |  #1

Sorry, but I just can't .
I'm still getting a headache every single time I'm visiting .

Sure, the new (Amass) forum software is a little buggy and tacky, but mainly it's the fonts and layout .
Convoluted, poor seperations of threads, postings and forums . Fonts all over the place, and changes are not intuitive and ineffective .

Why do most forums work ? Basic designs made by pros which are hard to mess up, and the hosts understand web design is a profession that should be left to professionals , and taste is based on experience and skills .

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 08, 2015 17:39 |  #2

Petersman wrote in post #17466200 (external link)

Sure, the new (Amass) forum software is a little buggy and tacky, but mainly it's the fonts and layout .
Convoluted, poor seperations of threads, postings and forums . Fonts all over the place, and changes are not intuitive and ineffective .

Why do most forums work ? Basic designs made by pros which are hard to mess up, and the hosts understand web design is a profession that should be left to professionals , and taste is based on experience and skills .

To talk in design terms you are painting with a very broad brush. Professionals make bad design choices all the time. If you really dislike the design as much as you say I'm pretty sure it is safe to say that you are part of a very small minority. Personally I like the new design infinitely better than the old one and I've been much more active here since the reboot. That's just my experience and opinion as a layman though. I'm certainly no professional. :lol:

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 08, 2015 17:51 |  #3

I didn't have issues with the old design, and I don't have issues with the new design.

Learn to adapt.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Moppie
14,838 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 08, 2015 18:34 |  #4

Everyone deals with and manages change in different ways, and I think we have seen all the different methods since the new forum software went live.

It would make an interesting study, and there are a few things to be aware of if you are having difficulty adapting to the change.

The old forum software was VBulletin, which has been around for a long time, and is extremely popular. It's become the default norm for how a forum should be, and is what most people using forums have become used to. It can however have it's appearance skinned and it's colours customised, the person who designed the look of the POTN Vbulletin install also designed the new AMASS install (hence why they look similar and use the same colours).

However there is more to a forum than it's colours, and basic functionality is defined by the software platform being used. Most people have gotten very familiar with VB's process, and in an environment as social and friendly as POTN, the process and feeling become connected.

By moving to new software, a lot of the process has changed, yet the social and friendly environment has not. That causes a disconnect some people will have trouble with.
It's a common problem often seen when people move home, or a business moves into a new office.
The best way to deal with that type of change is to simply use the new place, in this case, use the new forum. The more you use it, the more familiar you will become with AMASS and the more comfortable it will feel. Eventually the feelings of being a social and friendly environment will come back and become associated with PTON on AMASS

Often times people have trouble coping with a change of process, or correlating old processes with new ones. AMASS is feature rich, and totally superior to VB in a number of different ways. Put it does have a learning curve.
Some people will simply take longer than others to learn the new features and how they work, again only trying and doing can get around that. If you are having trouble, there is a lot of support around from members who understand how it all works.

The most important thing to have front of mind when dealing with change is your mental state. Some people naturally approach change in a positive way and embrace it. Most people are more neutral, and at the other end of the spectrum, there will always be a small number of people who take a negative view. Those taking a negative view can try and take a step back and find ways to separate their emotions from the new software. The goal is to see things objectively.
Try and describe things without using any emotional language, break things down into objective elements, and discard those elements that elicit only an emotional response, or are maybe subjective (e.g use of colour and fonts).
With that objective and rational mind set, try using the forum software again. It will take more than one attempt, and again it is all part of building familiarity with the process and AMASS.

Of course it is also possible that there is simply an unreconcilable dislike of AMASS and it's design. Something that can not be rationalised, or understood, or even solved.
There is a local photography forum that I simply can't stand. From an objective view there is nothing wrong with it, the design works, and it uses a common and easy to use platform. But I just don't like it, and I find it hard to read and even harder to use. The problem is not with the forum, the problem is with me. And there is nothing the owner of that forum can do about it.

I hope that no POTN members suffer from that problem here, and if they do we can all help them see around it, and encourage them to find away to be involved. :-)

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,759 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 4 years ago by Pekka.

Mar 08, 2015 18:38 |  #5

Petersman wrote in post #17466200 (external link)

"the fonts" , "Fonts all over the place", "poor seperations of threads, postings and forum"

AMASS uses "Arial, sans-serif" in 99% on content. No more that three font-families are used per page. There is bold and non-bold, italics is used in https://photography-on-the.net/forum/gallery.​php usernames and forum descriptions.

Let's take some specific pages to discuss THE DESIGN in detail.

Please specify in detail what is wrong with these pages, and I'll get a better view of your opinions:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/member.p​hp?m=3
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/bestofga​llery.php
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.ph​p?short
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.ph​p?full
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1409317
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/fyeo.php
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=29
https://photography-on-the.net …99&mg=409647&i=​i239943848

Thanks.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 08, 2015 18:57 |  #6

I have to admit I stopped coming here after the change over, at least for a bit. It was jarring, things weren't where I wanted them to be and I didn't feel like taking the time (yet) to adjust.

A few things still throw me off and there are some things that rub me the wrong way (I can't always put my finger on why but again haven't really thought about it) however overall I'm liking the new software.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,759 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Mar 08, 2015 19:01 |  #7

Colorblinded wrote in post #17466365 (external link)
I have to admit I stopped coming here after the change over, at least for a bit. It was jarring, things weren't where I wanted them to be and I didn't feel like taking the time (yet) to adjust.

A few things still throw me off and there are some things that rub me the wrong way (I can't always put my finger on why but again haven't really thought about it) however overall I'm liking the new software.

Thanks. If you can put to words the irritating parts, PM me. I'm really and genuinely interested to know details of those "feelings". Even if they do not result to changes, they will give me insight of possible problem areas.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 08, 2015 20:44 |  #8

Pekka wrote in post #17466376 (external link)
Thanks. If you can put to words the irritating parts, PM me. I'm really and genuinely interested to know details of those "feelings". Even if they do not result to changes, they will give me insight of possible problem areas.

I absolutely will. I know what you're talking about, I deal with similar things at work which is probably why I've just been trying to tune my thoughts out while I'm here :)

I'll make note of anything that stands out as I continue to use the site.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,611 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 08, 2015 21:11 |  #9

Pekka wrote in post #17466338 (external link)
Let's take some specific pages to discuss THE DESIGN in detail.

Please specify in detail what is wrong with these pages, and I'll get a better view of your opinions:
. . .
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.ph​p?short
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.ph​p?full

This line, in boldface and all caps,

379,712 MEMBERS, 17,258,745 POSTS, 1,379,152 THREADS, 1,731,674,035 THREAD VIEWS (and counting).

is too prominent. It grabs my attention every time I come in, and it isn't what I come for. I believe it was more subtle (not bold?) in AMASS! 1.0.

The line FOR YOUR EYES ONLY at left, near top, is horizontally squashed. It needs letterspacing. In the many heads on this page, I would have capped the first initial only: "Threads you have visited" instead of "Threads You Have Visited" and the items in the column. Less capping makes easier reading, as shown in studies on the effectiveness of design choices in print advertising.

(As you know, I liked Jenna Sue, and there's very little of it now.)

On the RTAT page, 2 or 3 points of additional leading just below the J. Sue head would help a lot.

(The boustrophedonic movement of tiles is such a cool thing. I don't think I've mentioned this lately.)

On all pages, I can function with the headers and footers as is, but they still look choppy: too many small items, too varied treatments for them. I understand why some links are in dark squares and so on; I just think there are smoother-looking ways to present such material.

Thanks for inviting opinions and listening!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Reservoir Dog. (4 edits in all)

Mar 08, 2015 21:56 |  #10

I was loving AMASS 1.0 which in my opinion was pure from a genius mind, AMASS 1.1 is still absolutely excellent adapted from the pure form to the most number of people.

I do not agree with the OP/TS when he said other are made by professional designer, it's not true, at all !
They are made by a bunch of people which work differently together for an open source forum, their layout are only mixed ideas with NOTHING going thru coz of thousands peoples giving their own different ideas about what should be the ergonomic > at the end you CANNOT have a good layout coz of all those different ideas, it's always a status quo / on hiatus without ending ..., in other side of the story they are almost all developers which do not care about layout, at all, just playing the code and fixing bugs, a good example is: > just ask them to change the layout or just the animated gifs, and you will got this typical answers > "develop it yourself, propose it and if accepted we might give it a try" which never happens because there is always peoples which do not like when you develop something "different" of their way of thinking...

OP/TS, IMHO with 145 posts from 2011, you didn't really give a chance to adapt yourself to AMASS, just my opinion.

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,151 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 09, 2015 06:43 |  #11

...and 1.33 looks like it's going to be even better !

Website (external link) |

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 09, 2015 07:59 |  #12

I wasn't a big fan of the design of the forum to begin with. Some of the design elements feel like it's from the 90s... others have stated so in other threads and I agree. I like thinks to look sleek and clean and this forum is certainly not that.

However, the functionality of the software is quite nice, I think. What won me over was the ability to rearrange the forums and put at the top the forums I most frequent. I'm still playing around with other functionalities such as new gear lists, galleries and such. I'm liking it so far.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Bob_A.

Mar 09, 2015 08:36 |  #13

OhLook wrote in post #17466553 (external link)
The line FOR YOUR EYES ONLY at left, near top, is horizontally squashed. It needs letterspacing. In the many heads on this page, I would have capped the first initial only: "Threads you have visited" instead of "Threads You Have Visited" and the items in the column. Less capping makes easier reading, as shown in studies on the effectiveness of design choices in print advertising.

Agree that there are some consistency issues. "FOR YOUR EYES ONLY" should be JS to match the other pages. Also, when going through the list on the left hand side of FYEO the titles of the pages that come up vary quite a bit with regards to which words are capitalized.

The same capitalization issue appears on your home pages. On the home page the user name in a black square followed by a designation like "cream of the crop" on the next line looks out of place. Maybe something like Bob_A - Cream of the Crop in JS would look better, and be more consistent.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 09, 2015 10:02 |  #14

I don't like the fact that I can't mark all threads as read so that I can immediately see which posts are new when I navigate back to the page. Or is there a way to do that that I just don't know about yet?

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,759 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 4 years ago by Pekka.

Mar 09, 2015 10:06 |  #15

RikWriter wrote in post #17467240 (external link)
I don't like the fact that I can't mark all threads as read so that I can immediately see which posts are new when I navigate back to the page. Or is there a way to do that that I just don't know about yet?

In forum pages "MARK READ" should do it.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=8
That command gives you a choice to mark only current forum read, or all.

Where did you look for that command?

On the bottom of New Posts page https://photography-on-the.net/forum/newposts​.php you have also a direct command to "MARK ALL FORUMS READ".

sponsored links

24,669 views & 50 likes for this thread
I still can't cope with the design
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.